IGNORED

No reverse CRY image solution, Jagview aside?

Clint Thompson

Well there's at least that:

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=259&p=12902

It's an image viewer, not a converter, but the sources are included and adding support for outputting BMPs is rather simple. You can either wait for me to add it (probably in a few days), or play with the code yourself :)

PS: don't use JagView, or at least not as a reference. It has color accuracy issues. They're not blatant enough to be obviously wrong, but they are noticeable on some pictures, and you'll go crazy looking for color problems that don't actually exist.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

Well there's at least that:

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=259&p=12902

It's an image viewer, not a converter, but the sources are included and adding support for outputting BMPs is rather simple. You can either wait for me to add it (probably in a few days), or play with the code yourself :)

PS: don't use JagView, or at least not as a reference. It has color accuracy issues. They're not blatant enough to be obviously wrong, but they are noticeable on some pictures, and you'll go crazy looking for color problems that don't actually exist.

Yeah, I tried that one as well and just assumed it was my Windows 7 environment causing all the issues for both programs. I don't code, no idea what the error means:

post-985-0-08092900-1467976930_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

Awesome - I followed the link but it takes me to the old download/attachment and don't see an updated version on the site? Even if you lead me to water, I would probably still die of dehydration lol

I didn't change the post, but updated the attached file. Just download it again.

I do not understand anything about it ....

Check the readme.txt file inside the archive. You have to run the program from a command line. For example, to convert a CRY picture that's called example.cry and which is 320-pixel wide to BMP format, type: view_jag example.cry 320 cry example.bmp

Edited by Zerosquare

• 1 year later...

well, I click on view_jag.exe ... and this appears:

gmWYVeX.png

sorry,

I do not understand anything about it ....
And my English is bad too

Slight necro post, but only by a year or so. :P

I want to look at and modify the embedded images in Virtual VCS to change the menus. I believe they are images as I have not found text looking with a hex editor.

So for starters I get the error code above when I try to use it in a Wine environment on Mac. I have gotten this to work in the past on a Win98 machine when I was looking at Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales images. Will probably use the Win98 machine I suppose.

Image will probably be in the .CRY format or the other obscure format. What utilities are out there for working with those images, or to convert from those formats to say gif / jpeg and back to cry?

Without a decompile of Virtual VCS I could replace the old hex data of the image with new hex data to replace the image is the plan.

vvcs.rom

I could replace the old hex data of the image with new hex data to replace the image is the plan.

I looked at this and sent you a PM. Not sure what file format it is, but the 256 colour palette is easily replaced I think. The pixels are run length encoded, it's not straightforward as just switching out a like-for-like lump of gfx, but doable. I'll help you when you're ready to put it together is I can.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 1