:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 3

Guess it means that my original theory was right after all, that it was just a delay tactic to bridge the gap between Wii U and Switch. Now that Switch is a success, they won't need to release any more "distractions," including SNES Mini. I guess all those rumors at CES and what-not proved false (or again, Nintendo changed their minds after the Switch's success).

• Like 1

007 won't like that.

I hope they revisit the concept down the road. A SuperNes Classic Edition would be right up my alley.

If they're not going to produce more NES Mini's, I don't see a path for a SNES version anymore. If the Switch fell flat, maybe, but that's obviously not the case.

• Like 1

I don't think this is an AtGames situation though where we could've ever expected to see annualized releases.

I'm thinking sometime 3-4 years down the line when the Switch starts to fade and Nintendo needs to stir some interest in the brand and give a boost to their balance sheet during the difficult late-generation lull before a successor appears (Which could be more pronounced than ever, now that they don't have two different hardware lines on different timetables).

That's when I'd expect to see this concept be revisited and rolled out again, since it was amply demonstrated that the demand is there and the Super Nintendo is nearly as beloved by gamers as the NES was, with plenty of 1st party hits that are free and clear for Nintendo to include.

It will be back, one of these days. But in 2017, it would just be a distraction to their core mission. They need Switch hardware in people's homes, not a one and done plug and play system.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I don't think this is an AtGames situation though where we could've ever expected to see annualized releases.

I'm thinking sometime 3-4 years down the line when the Switch starts to fade and Nintendo needs to stir some interest in the brand and give a boost to their balance sheet during the difficult late-generation lull before a successor appears (Which could be more pronounced than ever, now that they don't have two different hardware lines on different timetables).

That's when I'd expect to see this concept be revisited and rolled out again, since it was amply demonstrated that the demand is there and the Super Nintendo is nearly as beloved by gamers as the NES was, with plenty of 1st party hits that are free and clear for Nintendo to include.

It will be back, one of these days.

I don't know. I don't think most of us ever expected annualized releases, but certainly could believe that Nintendo would keep producing these until demand dried up. That obviously didn't happen.

If there is a Switch lull, I expect that to be solved by the updated Switch, not a successor system, a la what Sony and Microsoft are now doing with the incremental/Pro updates. That's the new "release new colors" for consoles.

Since this was clearly a stall tactic/bridge for over the holidays between consoles, it's hard for me to see a scenario where they'd be interested in doing a SNES Mini. They must want to rally around the Switch, which they'll be able to do unmolested if/when they discontinue/let the 3DS die a natural death maybe even before 2018 is in full swing.

• Like 1

Have to hand it to you, Bill, it seems your theory won out. Although, I'm allowing for the possibility that Nintendo will "see the light" in time to rush a revised unit out the door in time for Christmas.

Make it look like the top loader, and the thousands that bought one just to set it on a shelf will be back for another, even if the game lineup remains identical.

I think a rerelease of the NES Classic to help meet the clearly unfulfilled demand for last year's model, that's somehow differentiated from the original, might make more sense for Christmas 2017 than a SuperNes Classic that might steal media attention from where Nintendo most needs it this year.

But then again I said in a half dozen posts here to people last year that they really shouldn't worry about finding one since every Wal-Mart in the country will have a pallet full of them come Black Friday.

We all know how that one worked out...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

But then again I said in a half dozen posts here to people last year that they really shouldn't worry about finding one since every Wal-Mart in the country will have a pallet full of them come Black Friday.

Yeah, I was one of those. Oh well, you can't win them all.

But setting aside the "give the people what they want" aspect of this... the Switch is a little too new for Nintendo to be putting all their eggs in its basket. The Mini and the Switch aren't really in competition... if anything, sales of one could push people in the direction of the other. This just seems like an absolutely boneheaded move.

• Like 2

Make it look like the top loader, and the thousands that bought one just to set it on a shelf will be back for another, even if the game lineup remains identical.

I think a rerelease of the NES Classic to help meet the clearly unfulfilled demand for last year's model, that's somehow differentiated from the original, might make more sense for Christmas 2017 than a SuperNes Classic that might steal media attention from where Nintendo most needs it this year.

We all know how that one worked out...

The point is it not selling as-is, the point is is that Nintendo doesn't want to sell it. They don't have to do anything to continue to sell many more if they were actually interested.

As for them coming out with anything similar this Christmas or just a limited re-release, I don't see the point, since they have the Switch to push, along with any bump from the new Mario game, among other things. If they don't want to sell it now, they sure as heck won't want to sell it during the holidays when they'll want to move as many Switch systems and games as possible.

The point is it not selling as-is, the point is is that Nintendo doesn't want to sell it. They don't have to do anything to continue to sell many more if they were actually interested.

I don't disagree.

I'm just talking about what they could do to not only spur repeat sales from a decent percentage of their diehard customers and capture all the unfulfilled demand for last year's product, but to also avoid a lot of media attention at the same time if they did happen to want to sell more of these this year as a sideline to their main business.

I fully expect to not see Nintendo plug and plays of any sort on store shelves this November, since it's difficult to reconcile this discontinuance with further plug and play production of newer models anytime soon. That all said, I don't share your skepticism over something similar in the future. You obviously know more about this business than anyone here does and I respect that, but I still have no doubt that we'll see a SuperNes Classic Edition someday down the road when the timing is right.

It's an ace up their sleeve the next time they hit troubled waters, that will at least give them a temporary boost.

Edited by Atariboy

It's an ace up their sleeve the next time they hit troubled waters, that will at least give them a temporary boost.

Maybe. You could also make the argument that it was lightning in a bottle, and if they don't nurture this market segment, it won't be there for them next time they need it. You don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs... but starving it isn't exactly smart, either.

• Like 1

Maybe. You could also make the argument that it was lightning in a bottle, and if they don't nurture this market segment, it won't be there for them next time they need it. You don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs... but starving it isn't exactly smart, either.

I don't know if the average person would care about being burned before. If they did a SNES Mini, people would still flock to it like it was the second coming.

I think Nintendo is and always has been against these types of things because there's a finite sales ceiling and no hope of making additional money off of people post-sale. It's against a business model they've enjoyed since the release of the Famicom. This was clearly nothing more than a necessary evil, a desperate times calling for desperate measures type of thing. It's perfectly understandable, although how they've handled this has been extremely clumsy.

Copy-and-pasted from the Classic Gaming Quarterly FaceBook page:

NES Classic: Post-Mortem

I've been for the last month thinking about doing a video on the NES Classic on CGQ+, but it's just not the kind of content that I do, so a "take" video in the same vein as Happy Console Gamer or AlphaOmegaSin would just be out of place. But I still want to get my thoughts out.

The degree to which Nintendo has dropped the ball on the NES Classic is mind-boggling. Their home console business has been on a steady decline for 20 years, with the Wii being the sole outlier. What happened with the Wii? It tapped into the lucrative non-gamer market, which makes up the majority of the population. My mother has a Wii, and she's as non-gamer as it gets. That console struck gold by becoming a thing to have at the pop culture level, in much the same way that the NES did all those years ago.

Which brings us to the NES. The Nintendo Entertainment System sold (according to Wikipedia) 34 million units here in North America. In 1990, there were about 50 million people in the United States under the age of 18. You do the math. How many of those "Nintendo kids" are still gamers today? That's hard to approximate, but what I can say is that most people I know who are around my age do not play video games. Yet ostensibly, most of those people grew up playing the NES.

So what's my point? Think about those non-gamers out of that 34 million number. Guys my age who maybe don't play games anymore, but still yearn for the past, yearn for their youth in a way that seems almost universal. That nostalgic feeling for simpler times that we're seemingly all trying to re-live moments of from time to time, whether it be sitting down and watching an episode of an 80's TV show, listening to some Def Leopard or Duran Duran, eating a disgusting McDonalds hamburger, or admiring an old Datsun 280ZX.

Now think about those non-gamers walking into a Target or Wal-Mart, as we seemingly all do on a weekly basis. Walking past the electronics section as we go from grabbing toilet paper to looking for a new pair of shorts in preparation for the coming summer. Seeing a demo kiosk, red and blue, festooned with gold "Nintendo" logos, Super Mario Bros running in teaser mode in crystal-clear HD. That guy or girl picks up that familiar controller, one that they haven't touched in 25 years but will never forget, and are instantly 12-years-old again, sitting on the floor in front of a wooden console television, trying to figure out what path to take to finally beat world 8-4.

How much will this piece of nostalgic escapism cost you? Just $59.95, minus 5% with your Target Red Card. The same as taking a family of 4 to the movies for a couple of hours, or letting Friday night after-work drinks stretch on past dinnertime. $60 to be a kid again, even for a weekend, even for one night until the novelty wears off and it goes in the closet next to that P90X set that you've never opened, both destined for an eventual donation to the thrift store.

That was your target audience, Nintendo. Not guys like me, who grew up with the NES and never gave it up. I still have my childhood system, plus 4 more "just in case". Not the hardcore Nintendo fans, the ones who waited in line outside the store just for the chance to grab one, the ones who paid double, maybe even triple for an NES Classic because they've never been on a store shelf long enough to gather a single speck of dust. Not the gamers who have suffered through your "artificial shortage" marketing tactics since 1988, when they came home from Toys R Us with Tag Team Wrestling instead of Contra and have learned that it's just how you roll. Your target audience were the people who, in the less than 10 years since the Wii was in it's heyday, you've already managed to forget about.

• Like 4

Yup I saw the prices went back up from $100-120 to $200 on the things. I hope they choke on the things, but we know panic will now set in and feed these jerks for the foreseeable future which is disgusting.

Nintendo screwed the pooch, but I'm not ready yet to agree with Bill despite the fact he knows some stuff working for the plug in play king of old gaming these days ATGames. I think there's a shot this could/would be a holiday thing. It wouldn't split the buys of it or the Switch, they really have nothing in common other than pedigree and maybe something on a Switch virtual console by then. Nintendo is the king of cheap and usually (this one aside) milking things hardcore to death. You have a very cheap piece of New3DS level hardware with minimal storage slapped into a little plastic shell and other than throwing some green at Konami, Capcom and Tecmo basically, it's all clean wide margin profit on these things that are so basic and simple to produce. I think they could pull an AT Games on this entirely. Throw it back out there, a revised one, or perhaps next time a SNES unit and offer it up yet again for like 3-4 months from Nov-March. Not everyone will want or ever want a Switch at $300 let alone $200 or less. This is the system for the lost older era gamer, the non-gamer with flashbacks, and just others wanting something cheap and easy for friends/party time/on the go. Those ATGames systems often you see them pop up in that same time frame everywhere in large bulk, then they fade away in the spring basically until the wash-rinse-repeat of the following year with some minor changes on the Sega side (this year being new finally.) Nintendo could rake in those non-core buyers, sure some 8bit fanboys too, but mostly those who would be a revenue stream they have lacked otherwise.

I guess we'll find out next fall won't we?

I almost truly hope they do not and it's a fart in the wind. The scalping subhuman garbage will have their radars out on this one that's for certain. If Nintendo peeps a word about it coming again, or worse yet a SNES mini, it will get ugly fast, real fast compared to the NES. You think it was bad now, if they go by the fair assumption it will sell for a few months and go, they'll be in line a day in advance local and have their bots out in a rage fury on websites. They'll be damn certain to make you buy from them, and this time they won't be asking double or triple ($120-180~) watch them hit Wii epic levels of stupidity a decade ago - 5-7x the price because they know scared stupid sheeple will be all over that and we'll all lose.

• Like 1