IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Here are some other predictions.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_predictions_of_the_end_of_the_world

• 2017: Various Christians: We'll be chipped, and the Great Tribulation begins.[70]
  • 2017 to 2113: Asteroids.[71]
  • 2018: 24th of June, obscure crank Mathieu Jean-Marc Joseph Rodrigue ensures that doom is upon us, based on some middle school math.[72]
  • 2018: Hal Lindsey: Third Second Coming.
  • 2018: The Bible guarantees May 20 2018 Pentecost
  • 2026: More asteroids.[73]
  • 2028: Fred Clark: A tongue-in-cheek offer guaranteeing 15 years of Bible-prophecy hucksterism for four easy payments of $39.99.[74]
  • 2030: Approximate date of a mass extinction event predicted by Bob Geldof. Myles Allen, of Oxford University claims "Competing hyperbole" are unhelpful in understanding real climate change. [75]
  • 2035: Even more asteroids.[76]
  • 2036: Yet more asteroids.[77]
  • 2037: Hal Lindsey: First Third Coming.
  • 2038: Deterioration of the fundamental older technology that still underlies the most crucial systems today.[78]
  • 2039: End of life, the universe and everything. Also known as the Ascension.
  • 2040: Still more asteroids.[79]
  • 2041: March 35th (sic) Not another asteroid.[80]
  • 2085: The original prediction for Nibiru's collision with Earth, later deprecated to 2012 for more prophets profits.
  • Like 2

• 2017: Various Christians: We'll be chipped, and the Great Tribulation begins.[70]
  • 2018: 24th of June, obscure crank Mathieu Jean-Marc Joseph Rodrigue ensures that doom is upon us, based on some middle school math.[72]
  • 2028: Fred Clark: A tongue-in-cheek offer guaranteeing 15 years of Bible-prophecy hucksterism for four easy payments of $39.99.[74]
  • 2030: Approximate date of a mass extinction event predicted by Bob Geldof. Myles Allen, of Oxford University claims "Competing hyperbole" are unhelpful in understanding real climate change. [75]
  • 2038: Deterioration of the fundamental older technology that still underlies the most crucial systems today.[78]
  • 2085: The original prediction for Nibiru's collision with Earth, later deprecated to 2012 for more prophets profits.

I'm ready for Armaggedon. Bring on...

[but you're still not chipping my ass]

• Like 1

This almost looks like something Douglas Adams would have written.

I wouldn't be surprised, they made a Gamecube jack for the WiiU for those Smash games and those gamepads. I don't think it would be hard to use one of the big tv adapters USB ports as a choice for that adapter.

But that would still be a workaround to make a Wii/Wii U Virtual Console accessory(NES Classic Edition controller) compatible with the Switch. Imagine if the shortage issue is solved soon with this kind of adaptor also released. The video game section would have the Switch with games and accessories, 3DS with games and accessories, and the NES Classic Edition with extra controllers, extension cables to make them usable, and then those extension cables would plug into a Wii/Wii U to USB adaptor for the Switch. That is why the timing of it seems like a poor design. They released a controller that was marketed as doubling as a Wii/Wii U Virtual Console accessory when the Switch with its Virtual Console are right around the corner. The design seems even more strange when one of their reasons for the shortage was that they assumed that most of the people that would buy the NES Classic Edition would be those who haven't used the Virtual Console and that those who have would be less likely to buy the games again. Why did you go with the Wii/Wii U connector? So, that people could also use the controller on the Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. Why is there a shortage? We miscalculated the demand because we thought those who already bought the games on Virtual Console would be less likely to buy the games again in the form of the NES Classic Edition.

I think you need to remember that the NES Classic Mini is an evolutionary dead end.

It stands on its own.

It just so happens to have compatibility with existing Wii accessories should you happen to have them lying around. The connector is weird enough that you won't be using it on a PC, but standard enough that the true believers could get some value out of it.

It's neither a conspiracy nor particularly incompetent.

• Like 1

It says on their site except it says march 6th now. I don't know why they keep changing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Console-xbox-one/dp/B01IFJEWTM

That's an EU version and a 3rd party seller. I don't think that means Amazon is getting stock on that day.

The normal item link doesn't mention availability dates.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic/dp/B01IFJBQ1E

2084: Robots invade, and we run in one direction while shooting in an entirely different direction as we try to save our families. We don't last long, even though we think this time we will!

• Like 4

WooHoo! Got two of 'em...

Paid $90 each, but hey, that's what they cost in Taipei. Was planning to buy two Famicoms too, to share here, but the stupid ATM limited my cash allowance and I needed some of it to buy some shit for my wife at the night market. Maybe next trip...

Had to alter my trip to get these, but at least I have them now.

I did get to see a famicom mini first hand. The controllers are just too small for my taste, and being hardwired, unless you mod them, you cannot add a regular NES mini controller to them.

My kid is gonna be happy.

• Like 2

Technically my list of three issues was the three pronged problem. Nintendo, Scalper, and impatient buyers all play a role in the shortage. #4 category, the potential customers who refuse to pay over retail or camp out just have to rough it. I am in this boat after giving my one and only copy away as a Christmas gift to my uncle. It sucks being on the wait it out or forget it boat, but the #4 customers aren't really contributing to the stock shortage or resale prices in any meaningful way. We are more a side effect of the problem but not actually contributing to it since we are only future buyers, not current buyers.

We shopped around a bit these past two months for door prizes for our now semi-annual tech gathering. Didn't really find any NES-Minis in time. We really really wanted the Mini because of the shifting demographics in retrogaming. Everything has shifted toward Nintendo NES and upwards these days. 8-bit fatigue has set in.

So we went with 2 deluxe XPC setups from Shuttle (my fav PC company) and some Atari Flashback Portables. It worked out. In retrospect it would have been better to eschew the AFP units entirely and gone with a 3rd computer. Or perhaps 6 lower-cost PC's altogether.

We naturally didn't do the scalping thing despite wanting to cater to the new interests. The only time we pay scalpers is if it's like $5 or $10 higher on a $50 item. I'll be generous there with a finder's fee or consider it a little extra reward for making it available at the last minute if it's concert ticket or something. But to pay like 2x the cost or more, that's just dumb.

• Like 2

I went to a Best Buy last Saturday. I asked about this console, and the dude there told me that Ninty wasn't going to be shipping them any stock 'til May! I'm starting to suspect that Nintendo might be patching it to stop the hacking, which without-I wouldn't have NEARLY as much interest in it.

I did end up walking outta Best Buy with one of the new Nvidia Shield controllers. Looks like they've modeled it after the Xbox One controller, which was wise. It's really nice.

Pffft… I've officially given up looking for one of these now. Would have been "nice" to waste the $60 on one had I run across it in stores as per normal and impulsively, but after the way I was treated by Toys 'R Us, other retailers and Nintendo themselves throughout the debacle - fuck 'em.

• Like 4

Yeah really that NES CE is so worth the price of a Switch, what a scalper tool.

I doubt that BB story about May. They had another goodly sized supply that sold out back on the 23rd of last month that Amazon got and there have been pictures/stories online during that month as well of retail locations getting small supplies at a trickle (instead of nothing at all as it was.) I think Nintendo probably is just too lazy to patch it as it doesn't matter really in the end. It's not like they're losing money trying to sell games, it's closed hardware, so while not admitting it, if people hacking them to add more adds 25% more sales or whatever, they won't turn that money down. I think it really is the Switch to blame trying to get 2M+ of them created, packaged, shipped for the launch through their end of the fiscal year with is 3/31/17. Hardware isn't the same, but the facilities that do all the boxing, packing, packaging materials creation including the boxes, that stuff is shared and Switch is priority one over the NES.

I work for a relatively small company, and have 4 other companies that bid on every product just for printing and making boxes

there isnt just the nintendo box company and that's all it can handle

budget on the other hand is a single source and limited, and well they were not raking in the cash while spending out the ass for switch development.

Edited by Osgeld

I went to a Best Buy last Saturday. I asked about this console, and the dude there told me that Ninty wasn't going to be shipping them any stock 'til May! I'm starting to suspect that Nintendo might be patching it to stop the hacking, which without-I wouldn't have NEARLY as much interest in it.

Well at least they haven't stopped making them so that is good news. I can wait till may as long as its not officially EOL. As for the patch good then scalpers will be normal price and not hgh because of the added 714 games or 90 games or whatever.

Edited by 0078265317