IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Let me restate what I was talking about because I'm not sure you understand the implications.

People selling the NES Mini Classic loaded 1000 roms, did not dump the roms themselves, the stole them off the internet, and are trying to dupe people into buying these broken consoles off eBay that they themselves did not have the means of verifying. They are simply a bunch of opportunistic pirates looking to make a quick buck off people who don't know better, like parents buying a toy for their kids and not knowing the difference between similar looking products. Counterfeiters rely on this brand confusion.

The Raspberry Pi is even worse, because people just download roms off the internet, package them up in plastic chasis that look like the NES Classic and then try to sell them on eBay as something legitimate, when none of these games have been tested, and the emulation quality is somewhere between rubbish and broken. People who legitimately acquired the games, and actually have the games, have the means of verifying that the games work as intended. Pirates do not.

Nintendo has the means of verifying that the games work as intended on their 30-games NES Classic Mini because they have access to the game roms without needing to find them on the internet.

As byuu could tell you, in his project to verify every SNES cartridge out there, there are many bad dumps out there, and the bad dumps can be as little as bit-flip errors. These are not things a pirate selling a loaded console is going to catch, nor things that someone playing the pirated game is going to notice until it is too late. But pirates are just inflating the number of games they are loading on pirate systems so they can command high values for the systems that are not authorized to sell.

Nobody that knows how software emulators actually work is going to buy these lawsuit traps.

This is more than a restatement. To get the majority of this from your original response to GoldLeader would have nothing to do with me lacking an understanding of the implications you just described but lacking the psychic abilities to know what you were thinking but didn't include in your original response to GoldLeader. Granted, you included this part:

If all you want to do is play some nostalgic game from 25-30 years ago, fine, knock yourself out. But I wish people would stop hawking game pirated games on eBay. They are fooling none.

But that was a completely different paragraph, the least relevant one to what GoldLeader was talking about, and not the one I was responding to with the Nintendo downloading their own ROM's video. In other words, this paragraph was more of a side topic to your first paragraph that was a direct response to what GoldLeader was talking about.

GoldLeader was talking about how he wouldn't trust himself to do a good job at setting up a Raspberry Pi but would trust that Flojomojo and Keatah could do it with excellent results in exchange for beer. What you said after that read as a rebuttal to GoldLeader's faith in Flojomojo's, Keatah's, or any other trusted "pirate's" abilities to set up a Raspberry Pi:

Most the rubbish people load onto the RPi doesn't even work, because the pirates didn't dump the roms themselves, they don't know how to dump a rom. This is the problem with software emulators. Sure most of the stuff may work, but we're no farther ahead than we were with a NOAC clone and a flash cart.

That reads like most emulators on a Raspberry Pi(or software emulators in general) don't even work, the reason they don't work is from bad ROM dumps, the reason they are bad ROM dumps is because "pirates" don't dump their own ROM's, and this whole bad ROM dumps issue is the primary problem with the accuracy of software emulators. In other words, it reads like what GoldLeader was suggesting couldn't be done because Flojomojo and Keatah could do an excellent job but none of that would matter because they would be using only ROM's they downloaded with most of them being bad dumps that would break most of the emulators they would set up. I belief this to be false. Therefore, I posted that video to point out that some "pirates" do know how and do dump ROM's because that is how they get online in the first place, these same "pirates" are able to provide good ROM dumps, and these good ROM dumps could run on emulators on the Raspberry Pi or on any other hardware of choice. I wasn't even responding to the eBay part of your second paragraph which was obvious based on the content of the video I provided. It had nothing to do with eBay. It had to do with the possibility of Nintendo downloading a good ROM dump of Super Mario Bros.

• Like 1

That reads like most emulators on a Raspberry Pi(or software emulators in general) don't even work, the reason they don't work is from bad ROM dumps, the reason they are bad ROM dumps is because "pirates" don't dump their own ROM's, and this whole bad ROM dumps issue is the primary problem with the accuracy of software emulators. In other words, it reads like what GoldLeader was suggesting couldn't be done because Flojomojo and Keatah could do an excellent job but none of that would matter because they would be using only ROM's they downloaded with most of them being bad dumps that would break most of the emulators they would set up. I belief this to be false. Therefore, I posted that video to point out that some "pirates" do know how and do dump ROM's because that is how they get online in the first place, these same "pirates" are able to provide good ROM dumps, and these good ROM dumps could run on emulators on the Raspberry Pi or on any other hardware of choice. I wasn't even responding to the eBay part of your second paragraph which was obvious based on the content of the video I provided. It had nothing to do with eBay. It had to do with the possibility of Nintendo downloading a good ROM dump of Super Mario Bros.

The people who are doing the dumping, and the people selling "RPi's fully loaded with RetroPie" or "NES Classic Mini's with 1000 roms" are two different people. The latter people don't even care if the games work, they are just selling rubbish to people who don't know better.

Show me someone who dumped all their own carts and arcade boards with a properly setup Retropie and I'll show you a flying pig. The RPi route is for people who like to tinker, but the people are selling them on eBay are overpromising what a $45 experimenter's board can do, and are doing it illegally in the first place.

https://retropie.org.uk/about/legal/

Licenses

RetroPie is a system to install/configure emulators on an existing OS – The RetroPie Setup Script is released under the GPL.

The image we provide is Raspbian Lite with RetroPie pre-installed. Much of the software included in the RetroPie image have non-commercial licences. Because of this selling a pre-installed RetroPie image is not legal – this includes “giving away” a pre-installed RetroPie with your commercial product. Including copyrighted games with RetroPie is also not allowed.

If you are selling hardware that supports RetroPie you should provide a link to our site for your customers rather than including a RetroPie image with your product.

RetroPie does not ship with any copyrighted ROMs or games and does not condone illegal activity.

Yet...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NES-Mini-Old-Skool-Entertainment-System-RetroPie-Console-with-2-Controllers-8GB/262944635747

Micro NES: Raspberry Pi RetroPie Console
post-51464-0-34757800-1493201510_thumb.jpg
Description
This is a brand new made RetroPie console enclose in a micro NES case. It comes with all the classic games. If you have any requests please feel free to contact me. It comes with two controller (contact me for the choice of either 2 NES type controllers or 2 SNES type controllers as pictured), the power chord and a fully loaded 8GB card.
About RetroPie:
RetroPie is an operating system that has many classic game emulators on it. It has a nice and easy to use interface which will allow you to play hundreds of games using any usb controllers. This particular one that I am selling is already all set up so all you need to do is plug in the power cable, HDMI cable (not included), and the controllers and your ready to play 100s of games.

The people who are doing the dumping, and the people selling "RPi's fully loaded with RetroPie" or "NES Classic Mini's with 1000 roms" are two different people. The latter people don't even care if the games work, they are just selling rubbish to people who don't know better.

Another difference about this latter group that sells on eBay is I haven't even been talking about them other than to state that I haven't been talking about them.

@Kimset, give it a rest.

We all know downloading ROMs off the internet is illegal. Most of use have downloaded ROMs, and the rest of us who haven't really don't give a flying crap what someone else downloads. You are grossly overstating the prevalence of bad dumps. Yes, bad dumps exist. Yes, bad dumps exist, even in the No_Intro set. Sometimes it's as simple as a bad header, like with Ms Pacman Tengen, that anyone with a hex editor can fix. The vast majority of "bad" dumps are unlicensed games or obscure pirates.

And yes, it's disgusting the eBay folks are selling NES Minis loaded with RetroPi. That goes against everything Nintendo set out to achieve, which was a curated selection of licensed games with good value in a plug and play. Selling tampered Minis on eBay to unsuspecting consumers is what I have a problem with, not because it's illegal but because it destroys the legitimacy of the product. Just put a Pi3 inside one of those NES-style enclosures and use that if you want a 700-in-1 system.

• Like 5

So, I hear you guys like cheap technology in amusing retro-style cases, sold in small quantities so they go for crazy money on eBay?

Have I got something for you: Doritos Guardians of the Galaxy chips with built-in semi-disposable music player, complete with 1980s-style headphones.

I am going to buy 5 of those.......if I can find them anywhere!!! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Yup yup very happy with that little change of plans of theirs. It's like PS+ now, except the file sizes won't be so damn huge they eat up a 500GB hard drive in a matter of months. :)

It's like a PS+ or XBLG you'd get for the price Nintendo is charging, meaning PS+/XBLG Light. Now, at least, while not competitive feature-set-wise, there's at least very good incentive for paying for it, which is a huge step in the right direction. At the same time, it's a real head scratcher why this is being delayed for so long. It's odd, to say the least, particularly since this is something you'd expect to at least have minimally been in place at LAUNCH.

• Like 1

Ok so I bought a mini today from my local retro store. They are taking them in but reselling them for obvious profit but not as painful as eBay.

129.00 plus tax and this one came in the box with pretty much everything minus the plastic covering for the controller and unit. If more come in I could get them for folks so I thought I would throw it out there.

DBVYPNuVYAAdwsW.jpg

Something about that seems familiar. Hmm...

I agree. Months ago I was trying to explain that if they completely exhausted the demand as in everyone that just buys one to relive their childhoods, owns a Wii. owns a Wii U, owns a 3DS, owns a Switch, etc. gets one then the people that own a Switch that they want to use the Virtual Console along with whatever they plan on doing with making the games online multiplayer for their online subscription service would already have a method of playing these games in HD. Therefore, it would undervalue the games by Switch owners just paying for the subscription service just for the online multiplayer aspect instead of also the games themselves.

Another thing I said is that I suspected that they were experimenting to see the demand for these games in general or sold as bundles as well as increase the demand for them through hype so that people can think,"It was so hard being able to get to play these games on the NES Classic Edition but now on the Switch they are offering deals, bundles, and a subscription service that are just as good of deals as the NES Classic Edition but only a download away instead of standing in long lines in the cold."

• Like 1

It's like a PS+ or XBLG you'd get for the price Nintendo is charging, meaning PS+/XBLG Light. Now, at least, while not competitive feature-set-wise, there's at least very good incentive for paying for it, which is a huge step in the right direction. At the same time, it's a real head scratcher why this is being delayed for so long. It's odd, to say the least, particularly since this is something you'd expect to at least have minimally been in place at LAUNCH.

Confusing yet, but I won't call it 'LITE' anything until I know all the facts and they roll it out. That's the problem, tight anus Nintendo with another corn chip in its butt that it doesn't want to break refuses to really say basically anything of tangible value outside of PRICE + free NES games with sub and you get a lobby and voice chat. Woopdeedoo. It's clear they're not letting all the truth out there so we're stuck left wondering, maybe a couple weeks to E3, maybe some crap they hold up until late in the year. They know, and no one else. For all we know it could be a competitive level setup to PSN on the PS3 was, or it's really just what they're saying now and that's it. Either way it would be fine, if anything, because of the cheap price tag involved.

• Like 1

I think $20 per year is extremely reasonable and price competitive given the two competing services cost $60 each. I think I paid more for my AA subscription. ;-)

• Like 1

I think $20 per year is extremely reasonable and price competitive given the two competing services cost $60 each. I think I paid more for my AA subscription. ;-)

Yes, the two competing services cost $40 - $60 depending upon the deal you get, but my point was they also give you a lot more than a single game per month. Like I said though, at least now we get that single game instead of just renting it and it going away. That's a big improvement in and of itself, and certainly an important step for Nintendo as a company.

• Like 1

Yes, the two competing services cost $40 - $60 depending upon the deal you get, but my point was they also give you a lot more than a single game per month. Like I said though, at least now we get that single game instead of just renting it and it going away. That's a big improvement in and of itself, and certainly an important step for Nintendo as a company.

Did I misread the Ars Technica article or is there new information? I read the article to indicate that if you get a membership, you get access to the entire library of classic games available for as long as you maintain your subscription.

So I picked up a ten foot extension cable today at TRU...and I think I'm taking it back. First, they overcharged me for it (just noticed the receipt) and secondly, I'm sensing a minute amount of lag while using it. I can't seem to get those SMB jumps that require pin-point accuracy while using the extension. I guess a double blind test is in order, but...has anybody noticed this with the extension cables? It's not a dirt cheap cable from some overseas ebay seller, and I like the convenience. The more I think about it, the more I'm considering just selling the thing because of the flaws (I just can't help but compare it to my original stuff).

Thoughts?

So I picked up a ten foot extension cable today at TRU...and I think I'm taking it back. First, they overcharged me for it (just noticed the receipt) and secondly, I'm sensing a minute amount of lag while using it. I can't seem to get those SMB jumps that require pin-point accuracy while using the extension. I guess a double blind test is in order, but...has anybody noticed this with the extension cables? It's not a dirt cheap cable from some overseas ebay seller, and I like the convenience. The more I think about it, the more I'm considering just selling the thing because of the flaws (I just can't help but compare it to my original stuff).

Thoughts?

Your extension cord will not contribute to lag. 10 meters is far smaller than one microsecond at the near speed of light electricity travels at. One TV frame is 16 milliseconds or 16700 microseconds.

Your extension cord will not contribute to lag. 10 meters is far smaller than one microsecond at the near speed of light electricity travels at. One TV frame is 16 milliseconds or 16700 microseconds.

Pat Contri on CUPodcast recommended against the controller extensions and in favor of an extra-long HDMI cable due to lag issues. That may be where this is coming from, and I doubt he's alone in this.

However, I agree with you, and respectfully disagree with Pat. Lag issues are going to be almost entirely on the TV side, not the console.

• Like 1

I'm a jerk.

...okay, that probably warrants elaboration. See, I've found a new game. When I go on eBay, I cruise the NES Classic listing for the systems with the most egregious markups, then I abuse try my luck with the "Make Offer" feature. See, my logic is, if these scalpers have every right to pick up some Classics and ask whatever price they want for them, then I in turn have the right to turn around and tell the scalpers exactly what I'm willing to pay. And if the two numbers aren't anywhere close to each other, then that's just capitalism. And hey, maybe something weird will happen and I'll actually get lucky- who knows?

So I find this guy trying to sell his $60 toy for $300.00. And I make an offer: $60. Worst he can do is say no, right? Wrong.

post-9942-0-19714000-1496773497.png

Yeah, so apparently I'm just SO out of line. Not only does he have to mock me, but he thinks I'm trying to rip HIM off by asking him to sell at a loss. Nuh uh pal.

post-9942-0-83098600-1496773507.png

Yeah, that's right, dude. $300 is NOT the MSRP, and I think this guy seriously thought it was. He made a counter offer of $300, and I set mine right back to $60.

post-9942-0-56228100-1496773525.png

Oh really? So, saying "I'll pay $60" on a site that's entire purpose is negotiating is "rude"? He sets the offer back to $300.

post-9942-0-93874000-1496773634.png

And I again offer $60. :-)

Just in case there was any doubt that these scalpers are entitled twits, here ya go.

post-9942-0-65178400-1496773534.png

• Like 3

heh I realize you're just playing, but anyone serious would at least add tax + shipping (and yes, a little something something) to the offer. I believe I payed about $65 at Target. so not even I would sell it at 60 bucks even IF I wanted to sell "retail". :) I'd say a reasonable "lowball" offer would be in the realm of 80-90 bucks.

If I was shopping for one today, and I was desperate... while I wouldn't consider $300, I WOULD consider up to $120 (i.e. double) but that'd be about my ceiling.. The reality at this point is these things are no longer available, and they are desired.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1