IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I wish we could see some pics of what the scan lines will look like. Some scan lines used in emulation can look poor.

AVS does 240p NES line tripled to 720p. Scanlines dim every third line, yielding a meatier effect compared to emulators using 480p 50% scanlines.

Modern 1080p displays will presumably upscale the 720p content using bilinear filtering. PC monitors will be faster without overscan and other garbage. Since the bilinear filtering is a 1:1.5 ratio, every two 720p pixels becomes three in 1080p. This yields a pleasing effect, much better than an emu nearest neighbor or crap filters that scale the 240p source directly.

Here's my own interpretation for what the display might look like on 1080p screen:

https://sta.sh/03asg71xf25

Zoomed in view:

https://sta.sh/0nkzp4jtcw8

It's in no way representative of an actual AVS, just a mockup I did some time ago...

• Like 1

Perhaps explaining its absence from Japan, NintendoLife has reported that the Paris based Nintendo European Research and Development team is the one responsible for the emulator being used here. It has been constructed from scratch and isn't recycling what has been used on earlier Nintendo systems.

They're also the team that was responsible for the enhanced 3D capabilities of the New 3DS, which seemed to go over well.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Does anyone know a website or store that will sell these? I have never seen any in a store ever be it a flashback of any kind.

This is almost more confusing than the 5200 and 7800 in the 80s of only seeing them in the atari 2600 flyers but no where else.

Must have always just been a big city USA market thing only.

• Like 2

You know what I wish existed? An adaptor that would allow one to plug in one of these new controllers right into our original NES. Then you could (in theory) buy Brand New Nintendo branded NES controllers for $10 a pop all day long!

I'll bet you could snip and splice a working retro NES connector onto it

• Like 1

Jinks, on 27 Aug 2016 - 06:02 AM, said:

Does anyone know a website or store that will sell these? I have never seen any in a store ever be it a flashback of any kind.

This is almost more confusing than the 5200 and 7800 in the 80s of only seeing them in the atari 2600 flyers but no where else.

Must have always just been a big city USA market thing only.

I never realized these plug & plays might be hard to come by in Canada...I don't live in a big city (though I'm less than 2 hours from Denver) and I've even seen Atari Flashbacks in our local grocery store around Christmas time. I think they had the Intellivision and Colecovision Flashbacks too...Though FWIW I don't recall seeing Atari 7800s in stores either...

Flojomojo, on 27 Aug 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

^ Oh Yeah, I'll be trying this! It was my first thought.

Atariboy, on 27 Aug 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

Just buy the 8Bitdo Retro Receiver for the NES, pair it with a Wiimote, and plug this NES Classic Controller into the Wiimote.

Thanks for the info Atariboy! I think I was just looking for the path of least resistance. A straight up adaptor would be fun. I mainly remember thinking how even a few years back a Brand New Nintendo controller for NES on Ebay would be $30-$60 (depending on whether or not it's boxed etc...)

That said, I haven't priced them lately...

As far as these things being limited by the Big N...Personally, I doubt it. They are likely seeing dollar signs and feeling happy thoughts of respect...It makes for good headlines to see pre-orders sell out instantly, but I don't think their long term goal is to imitate the Playstation 2 launch (Which I believe was a supply issue, not a publicity stunt)...

No my thought is that they will make a whole bunch of these...And then they will make a whole bunch more...

Edited by GoldLeader

No my thought is that they will make a whole bunch of these...And then they will make a whole bunch more...

I guess we will find out! As excited as I am for this, I also know it's literally never been easier to make your own little emulation station with good controls. This is all pre-rolled and ready to go, and the price is right, so I hope you're right they'll make lots and then make some more.

• Like 2

the hell dude? Where's my notification email from Amazon? :mad:

What you need is a Wii-mote to NES controller adapter. I'm sure someone somewhere makes one, and assuming it's properly wired for Wii-VC NES, it should work with the NES Classic Mini.

• Like 2

If I could walk in to Target or wherever and just buy one of these off the shelf, then it would be a no-brainer purchase, just do mess around with it. But this is already setting itself up to be the flipper/gouger item of the season this Christmas. No thanks.

What you need is a Wii-mote to NES controller adapter. I'm sure someone somewhere makes one, and assuming it's properly wired for Wii-VC NES, it should work with the NES Classic Mini.

How will this allow him to plug a NES Mini controller into an actual NES?

They do indeed make such things, but even if such an adapter could be modded to do what he wants to do, it's certainly not the path of least resistance. A Wiimote, Retro Receiver, and the NES Mini controller on the other hand would be a plug and play situation if one wants to use this new controller on the genuine article (And he quite possibly already has the Wiimote and the Retro Receiver is cheap and has such versatility that any NES fan should get it).

Edited by Atariboy

How will this allow him to plug a NES Mini controller into an actual NES?

Sorry, I thought the question was how to use an authentic 1st or 3rd party NES controller on the NES Mini.

Actually, it should be a reasonable mod to convert the Wiimote version of the NES Controller to a NES version. You would need to remove the controller chip on the PCB and wire in a shift register IC connected to the contacts for the buttons.

Depending on how close the molds of the new controller are to an original NES controller, it may be possible to swap a PCB from an original controller in bad cosmetic condition to a new NES Mini controller. I have a bootleg NES controller that the plastic mold and buttons are interchangeable with the original.

• Like 2

I was also rather imagining that it might be easy to open up a New NES Mini Controller and solder an NES cord to it (From an NES extension cable), but that's only if the internals are similar to an NES controller or if someone smarter than I figures it out and posts the results haha...I also imagine these new controllers to be identical in weight and shape to the old ones and I have no idea if that's actually going to be the case, nor do I know what's going to be inside....Still it'll be neat to see...

And even if they don't work for an original NES, The Mini itself will be neat, and at least I can use the controllers on my Wii for VC stuff...

I was also rather imagining that it might be easy to open up a New NES Mini Controller and solder an NES cord to it (From an NES extension cable), but that's only if the internals are similar to an NES controller or if someone smarter than I figures it out and posts the results haha...I also imagine these new controllers to be identical in weight and shape to the old ones and I have no idea if that's actually going to be the case, nor do I know what's going to be inside....Still it'll be neat to see...

And even if they don't work for an original NES, The Mini itself will be neat, and at least I can use the controllers on my Wii for VC stuff...

The Mini NES controllers use Wiimote/CC standard and are definitely not pin compatible without major translational logic. There's a lot more at stake than the physical connector.

For starters, NES use a serial 5V interface, and Wii controllers are 3.3V max logic. I have no idea what logic protocol they use but I have heard the six pin interface is similar to Game Cube.

• Like 1

"Dear Nintendo,

You've come this far...If you're reading this, Know that you have the Power (The Nintendo Power :) to make us all Very Happy! As long as you're making stuff...How's about a Brand New Nintendo branded NES Controller for $10?"

What do you guys think?

LOL

• Like 1

^For those wondering WTF...

When I was a kid my Mom used to encourage me to write letters....To toy companies, for instance, telling them what toys I think they should make...Or what the new Micronauts could be (Including my ideas and sometimes drawings and sketches, etc.)...Sometimes they even wrote back!

The Mini NES controllers use Wiimote/CC standard and are definitely not pin compatible without major translational logic. There's a lot more at stake than the physical connector.

For starters, NES use a serial 5V interface, and Wii controllers are 3.3V max logic. I have no idea what logic protocol they use but I have heard the six pin interface is similar to Game Cube.

Actually, it should be a reasonable mod to convert the Wiimote version of the NES Controller to a NES version. You would need to remove the controller chip on the PCB and wire in a shift register IC connected to the contacts for the buttons.

Thanks for the info Kosmic! And Thanks Hierophant! (I figured I was just dreaming...)

• Like 1