IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

^For those wondering WTF...

When I was a kid my Mom used to encourage me to write letters....To toy companies, for instance, telling them what toys I think they should make...Or what the new Micronauts could be (Including my ideas and sometimes drawings and sketches, etc.)...Sometimes they even wrote back!

I encourage my son to do the same thing. He currently has letters out to Activision, Vicarious Visions & Toys For Bob in regards to his appreciation of the Skylanders franchise. He also included some drawings with stats for a new Skylander he designed. I mailed them out a month ago for him. None have replied yet but I hope at least one of them does.

• Like 2

I hope "boat" means "oil tanker". ;)

Have you seen the barges they use to transport shipping containers? A shipping container could store like a half million NES Minis. And the barge can carry like two hundred shipping containers. That's 100 million consoles right there. Possible exaggeration but suffice to say a "boatload" is a large amount! :grin:

One of the peoplw who works at GS said they might not have Pre-Orders. It going to be 1st dibs serve

Booooo... I used to love in store preordering. If you're in a medium sized city that's got 6 or 7 Gamestops but not so large that it's overrun with scalpers, it's often easier to secure stuff if you know exactly when preorders open. Also since they track rewards cards, scalpers can't preorder from multiple stores.

If there was any real frenzy, I wonder if it's cooled a little. I remembered that I can already play NES in many more convenient ways already, and the "holy poop Nintendo did a p-np toy!" shock has faded. I'm going to skip this and I wonder if others will do the same.

All the posts in here about preorders selling out, worries about it being hard to find, resellers marking up the price, etc. has made it apparent to me that I'm completely lacking whatever it is that is making everyone so excited for it. I would expect this excitement more in the direction of the Analogue Nt mini, RetroUSB AVS, or just finding out what the Nintendo NX will be. I just see this slightly above a Flashback and other plug and plays which doesn't give me that must have super hyped shut up and take my money kind of excitement.

• Like 2

I stopped by my local Retro store and they have pre-orders for this for 30 units. I just asked so will there be any on the shelf? They said probably not since they are not a major retailer they will not get a good number of these sadly. Yeah I am good to wait till after the holidays I think. wait for it to get traded in and get one used.

I stopped by my local Retro store and they have pre-orders for this for 30 units. I just asked so will there be any on the shelf? They said probably not since they are not a major retailer they will not get a good number of these sadly. Yeah I am good to wait till after the holidays I think. wait for it to get traded in and get one used.

Well if a small retro shop can get 30 units, that is a good sign. I need to find out if Game-X-Change (we have two locations in my area) will be carrying these suckers. If so that would be great, and there likely won't be many people camping in front of the store, unlike Best Buy, Target, TRU, Gamestop, etc...

Very unlikely, they do not want to deal with pin connectors and old cartridges.

Indeed. If Nintendo is going to re-release more of their old hardware in "mini" format with no cartridge port, I expect them to pack 30+ first-party Game Boy + Game Boy Color games into a low-priced portable gizmo with a color screen (à la Game Boy Micro) or do a mini console that lets you play those same GB/GBC games on a TV screen with the same "modernized" NES controller that will come bundled with the NES Mini. Or better yet, they can release a Super-NES Mini, which would probably fly off the retail shelves even faster than the NES Mini. Nintendo can suck a lot of milk out of this cash cow if they play their cards right. :)

EDIT: How about a tabletop console with its own screen, similar in shape to the old Coleco electronic tabletop games? Nah, it wouldn't be "Nintendo-ish". Although they could shape it like their own tabletops, like Popeye and Donkey Kong Junior. Imagine playing Game Boy, Game Boy Color and perhaps even Game Boy Advance games on a tabletop like this. :)

popeye.jpg

• Like 1

The only reason I'll buy this is to signal to Nintendo that this market exists. I bet there will be issues with lag, and other things I won't like considering it's emulated. But at least it's official, i suppose.

I was about to pull the trigger on the AVS myself, which is made by people who really care, but I am just not convinced about the lag issues. And it's not cheap. I just don't play my games that way, and HDMI is not really a big selling point for me. I will always have access to CRT screens, as will you...have you been to any recycling depots? I have like three, and I don't see me outliving them.

But with this mini NES, the big N will see that we still exist and that this kind of gaming can still matter.

• Like 1

It does not have to take old carts only, it can have any connector (or DS like slot) they want and an optional adapter with the 72/60pin for NES/Famicom era for the hardcore fans.

Fine , ok, personally I just don't see them doing that. They simply do not care about the old carts or supporting them or the extra hardware that would be required to do so. I am sure they would rather bundle games and maintain strict control over what is played. Remember they are not appealing to the die hard collector who wants to play their original carts, they just want to provide a modern device that is a no brainier impulse pick up to relive some nostalgia. While it would be awesome from our perspective I just do not think that is what they are aiming for or worried about supporting. I hope they prove me wrong but I would not hold my breath. ;)

• Like 1