IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Unlikely. There have been a million ways to play those games already. I don't think the two markets have much cross-over, if any, other than collectors/hardcore players picking up the TV game console.

Well dang, I guess this just means I will have to get one of these mini consoles and save a lot of $$$ that it would have cost me in the end to get the real deal.

This is huge. A day 1 purchase for me. I'm glad Nintendo finally entered the clone market.

I also agree with Bill, this won't drive down prices in NES collecting. I think it might even make them continue to go up. It's like Earthbound, it only went up after the VC release hit because more people were aware of it and an already high demand/low supply cartridge market got a new injection of collectors who wanted the real thing.

This console could easily do the same thing, especially since the game list leaves you wanting more. If someone enjoys Super C, they'll probably want Contra. If someone likes Castlevania 1 and just so happens to never ever play 2, they'll probably want to play 3. So the desire to get original hardware is there.

BTW, Konami games?!?!? How the fuck did they pull that off?!?!

Edit: Well... wait, even Mike Kennedy met with Konami, so I guess they'll still sit down for a chance to make money off their old IPs even if they're not in the AAA biz anymore.

• Like 3

It's a shame this has no cartridge slot. Nintendo doesn't comprehend the impact that would have made. People would pay hundreds to have an HDMI nes that can play carts. Not saying Nintendo should have done that and charged hundreds but if they would have added a cart slot, people would not be getting $600 to mod top loaders anymore.

If someone can mod this to accept s/d cards to play roms this will be a huge deal. I might have to get one just in case that happens. $60 and not have to rely on everdrive or powerpak that have limited mapper capabilities!

This has potential to totally take away from the high priced mods people have to pay to get high end output.

I just don't know why Nintendo made it with HDMI out, Not Composite Out

Because it's no longer 1994?

Any thoughts on this helping to push down the prices on the cartridge versions of those 30 games? I see a lot of games on that list I would love to own for the real hardware but refuse to pay reseller prices.

People who just want to play games will get this, just as they bought the pirated 200-in-1 units about a decade ago before Nintendo shut them down. I suspect the collector market for real cartridges will stay active. Having Final Fantasy on PSN didn't make the discs any less valuable on eBay, after all.

Well that could of been faked.

Well, this is real.

It's a shame this has no cartridge slot. Nintendo doesn't comprehend the impact that would have made. People would pay hundreds to have an HDMI nes that can play carts. Not saying Nintendo should have done that and charged hundreds but if they would have added a cart slot, people would not be getting $600 to mod top loaders anymore.

If someone can mod this to accept s/d cards to play roms this will be a huge deal. I might have to get one just in case that happens. $60 and not have to rely on everdrive or powerpak that have limited mapper capabilities!

This has potential to totally take away from the high priced mods people have to pay to get high end output.

Cartridge slot, for what? For plugging in 30-year-old cartridges? Why would they want to mess with that? It costs money to run a support line, after all. They've included 30 of the best games already, and they sell a lot of others digitally elsewhere. If you want to play teh romz, do it yourself, don't expect Nintendo to serve them to you at bargain prices.

• Like 5

At the very least this will make a great case for a Raspberry Pi. Then you can ad all the games you want!

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Byte Knight Ultimate Nintendo Classic Mini. :-D

This is awfully cute as it is, though. And unlike the Famiclones, this one shouldn't have apparent compatibility problems. That's one "virtue" of a closed system -- they can just leave out the stuff that doesn't work!

• Like 1

I don't believe that we know anything more than what's in the press release.

Not only is this neat, but I love that this controller can also be used on your Wii and Wii U and that it will only cost $10 to purchase separately. Now if we'd just get a Super Nintendo sequel next year with the same sort of functionality, nobody will ever have to pay high prices again for this old Club Nintendo exclusive for the Wii that North America missed out on.

51fig-k5M4L._SL1024_.jpg

Just imagine the excitement though if this upcoming plug and play had a NES cartridge slot...

Totally! I still think that if Nintendo released a machine like this with a cartridge slot and encouraged developers to release new cartridge-based games for it, they'd make a fortune (on top of their existing fortune). They could even stipulate that developers aren't allowed to augment the cartridges with any more tech than the highest tech chips added to the original NES cartridges. That would keep people from making crazy "super-computer-in-a-cartridge" games.

• Like 2

Day 1 buy for me, definitely. This along with the Atari flashback portable, what a great way to end a year that started with the delightful Chameleon fiasco!

I'd always hoped Nintendo would do this at some point and with the move to digital of late I thought the chances would be getting slimmer and slimmer, but by jove they done it!

HDMI is an excellent addition and the real selling point for me; it was pretty obvious if something like this was to be released it would have no SD/USB slot or cartridge slot, I just wouldn't expect it in the market this will sell in.

Hopefully as Bill has already alluded to this will improve the market for such devices and hopefully push AtGames into being able to add HDMI to their devices, one reason I have not picked up any of the home versions as yet. I have no doubt that this will sell very well though.

• Like 1

Cartridge slot, for what? For plugging in 30-year-old cartridges? Why would they want to mess with that? It costs money to run a support line, after all. They've included 30 of the best games already, and they sell a lot of others digitally elsewhere. If you want to play teh romz, do it yourself, don't expect Nintendo to serve them to you at bargain prices.

I'm going be straight blunt wtf is your problem?

Obviously a cartridge slot to play ummm duh cartridges, yes from 30 years ago would be nice.

30 of the best games.....ummm how about NO.

As far as the rom thing goes, I really don't understand your problem. I said previously!

"I suppose if they made the entire nes library available that would be different. A legal way to purchase and play all the rare/expensive games would be cool."

I would love Nintendo to serve them for bargain prices. They sell roms on virtual console already, what would be the difference if they sell them for this as well? Sorry for not being crazy excited for the same exact games being resold 100 thousand different ways on 20 different systems. Yay another way to play Mario, forget about the other 700+ nes titles that exist.

People who just want to play games will get this, just as they bought the pirated 200-in-1 units about a decade ago before Nintendo shut them down. I suspect the collector market for real cartridges will stay active. Having Final Fantasy on PSN didn't make the discs any less valuable on eBay, after all.

I'm in for a mini console either way because I just don't see myself paying eBay price for the original hardware.

Obviously a cartridge slot to play ummm duh cartridges, yes from 30 years ago would be nice.

As far as the rom thing goes, I really don't understand your problem. I said previously!

"I suppose if they made the entire nes library available that would be different. A legal way to purchase and play all the rare/expensive games would be cool."

I would love Nintendo to serve them for bargain prices. They sell roms on virtual console already, what would be the difference if they sell them for this as well? Sorry for not being crazy excited for the same exact games being resold 100 thousand different ways on 20 different systems. Yay another way to play Mario, forget about the other 700+ nes titles that exist.

To be equally blunt, most of those 700+ titles are shit that aren't worth playing. True of every console.

Point of this console is to appeal primarily to people who want to play some of the games they fondly remember without a bunch of shit they don't give a crap about being tacked-on. Joe or Sally Consumer doesn't give a flying fuck if this has an SD card slot or cartridge slot, because they aren't going to go out and load up an SD card with roms or hunt down cartridges from 30+ years ago. They want to plug it into their TV and reminisce for awhile, while having a neat little conversation piece. The $60 price tag should make it pretty evident the market they're targeting with this, and it ain't hardcore NES collectors. Ancillary features like SD slots and cart slots would just confuse their target market.

I'll save the thread and just add to ignore.

Aw gee, thanks for letting us know.

54a78a9754dec_-_cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Edited by TPA5
  • Like 3

Totally! I still think that if Nintendo released a machine like this with a cartridge slot and encouraged developers to release new cartridge-based games for it, they'd make a fortune (on top of their existing fortune). They could even stipulate that developers aren't allowed to augment the cartridges with any more tech than the highest tech chips added to the original NES cartridges. That would keep people from making crazy "super-computer-in-a-cartridge" games.

I can't see any second how Nintendo would gain any money out of it. That is, unless they took money of the homebrew sales. And given the small numbers of cart sales, they would either take a huge load out of them, which would drive the cost of carts even higher than it already is, or only a minimal amount, and if you accoutn for a homebrew game selling like 200 copies, that's 200$ made of them AT BEST (and taking 1$ from a 40/50$ game is already a large slice....).

And I haven't seen any "computer-in-a-cart" game, at least on the NES, but even in general, those are usually more for demomaking than released games. But anyway, the NES was MADE to have add-ons, the SuperFX chip is more powerful than the SNES in many regards, so why is that taboo now?

Nintendo have ZERO interest in allowing cart games to be released. At best, politely ignoring them is the best they can do. Leaving solder points for a cart slot in the NES Classic Mini à la Atari Flashback II is the best they will do.

Because the homebrew market is non existant.

No, Even AtariAge, in regard to even small studios that release Z titles for the PSP/DS is no existant. Selling 200 or even 400 copies of a homebrew is not even what a company will send for gaming magazines to review.

Don't get me wrong, the homebrew community and physical release are awesome, but what make it successfull is that it's almost entierely made by people on their free time and that you really pay the hardware.

Ask any homebrew programmer how long it took them to program their game, apply the minimum wage of your choice on this time, and divide it by the expected sales of the physical game, and you'll realize that you're facing hundred of $ worth of man-time in most cases.

Any hope of "reviving" it will fall short because only some games will get the money invested back.

• Like 2

8b5a1e4b0bc621564b53e5932917fa1e0ee0f4f8

• Like 1

Honestly? Coming straight from Nintendo I had to do some checking and make sure it was valid lol. I could not believe it was official. I am not surprised it will not play ROMS being from Nintendo themselves as they have always been against ROMS and emulation (outside of their own VC offerings) but to have an officially licensed plug n play with Wii / WiiU compatible classic controllers ? I admit I am surprised and impressed. Definitely a step in the right direction and good to see the big N finally embracing a concept like this. WHO KNOWS? We will see what modders / hackers do with this little baby but having that official seal, I think that is just cool. YEAH if it were any other company you know I would be all "WHERE IS THE SD SLOT? WHY CAN'T I PLAY ROMS AND ORIGINAL CARTS!!!" but honestly I was not even expecting what we are getting officially from Nintendo so I think it is a step in the right direction that will sell like mad.

• Like 5

To be equally blunt, most of those 700+ titles are shit that aren't worth playing. True of every console.

Point of this console is to appeal primarily to people who want to play some of the games they fondly remember without a bunch of shit they don't give a crap about being tacked-on.

Right because there is no way to play those games already. The whole point I'm getting at is they release the same games over and over. How many ways can you sell Mario?

Aw gee, thanks for letting us know.

I meant person not thread.

Right because there is no way to play those games already. The whole point I'm getting at is they release the same games over and over. How many ways can you sell Mario?

I meant person not thread.

Releasing the same things over and over? Welcome to the entire entertainment industry, especially in the gaming field. Not only will you get multiple iterations of essentially the same game, you then get HD remakes and re-releases of them. No one on planet earth is better at milking a dessicated bovine corpse for milk than the entertainment industry. Fact is, most of the time it totally works so there really isn't a compelling reason for companies to not do it.

• Like 1