IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

So anyway, Nintendo Classic Mini ...

it really sounds like they thought this one through. I like the idea of 4 save slots per game. I really like the idea that you can "lock" a save state so it's not easily overwritten or erased. It's almost as if someone at Nintendo likes to play video games or something.

I really don't need one of these ...I have most of the offered titles already, between Virtual Console on Wii U and 3DS ...but gotta love the polish on this.

And the thing is... it's priced at exactly the point where, even if you don't need it, it's very tempting to buy it anyway just for the "cool" factor. And it is very cool.

I'm thinking this may end up being my "guest room console".

• Like 2

I told my gym instructor about the NES Mini last week. He was unaware of it before I told him about it, and after Googling it, now he absolutely wants one on release day. :)

By the way, another idea off the top of my head: A "Top-Loader Mini" that plays GB/GBC carts. You'd plug GB/GBC carts in this device the same way you could plug NES carts into the original NES top-loader, and play the games on your TV with the same NES control pads that are used with the NES Mini. And of course, Nintendo could include a few built-in first-party GB/GBC games, so you could use the Top-Loader Mini even if you don't own any GB/GBC carts. Such a Mini would likely sell like hot cakes.

• Like 3

actually no I much prefer playing gameboy and other handhelds on a big screen, its not like a book where I can position it comfortably with whatever situation I am in. Even on a good screen like the PSP you got to watch light angles and hold both hands like your a tank gunner (which even those have better ergonomics cause buttons are not 90 degrees to your thumbs) and the small screens

and its not just me being a old fart (at not even 40 yet) I was never THAT desperate to play a game to deal with all the crap + the problems with the old systems ... I was in college before I had more than a single strider themed tiger handheld, that was only used on car trips when MAD magizine,or calvin and hobbes, or a paper back sci-fi novel and a half dozen cassette tapes wore thin ... and I was one of those kids who liked to look at the scenery with my headphones on heh

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

actually no I much prefer playing gameboy and other handhelds on a big screen, its not like a book where I can position it comfortably with whatever situation I am in. Even on a good screen like the PSP you got to watch light angles and hold both hands like your a tank gunner (which even those have better ergonomics cause buttons are not 90 degrees to your thumbs) and the small screens

I have to agree. Years ago, when I bought a Game Boy Player with my Game Cube, I loved playing GB/GBC/GBA games on it and I just couldn't go back to playing those games on a tiny screen. I'd much rather play such games on a TV screen.

Besides, if you want to play GB games on a handheld device, the 3DS can already do that. Nintendo just needs to make GB games available for download, if they haven't already (I haven't checked).

There are tons of GB games in the 3DS Virtual Console -- just like they have lots of NES and SNES games on Wii U.

What would be "nice" from my perspective would be a dedicated handheld with everything preloaded, a la NES Classic Mini portable with a folding screen, preferably smaller than a DS.

Wouldn't it be fun if Nintendo ran some kind of poll to decide between a TV-based and portable option? :D

• Like 2

I guess we can vote with our wallets between existing options. 3DS beats Wii U by several miles in that case.

It's a shame, because (IMO) the Wii U is Nintendo's best system in decades, in terms of system specs and design, and its library is extremely strong on the first-party front. It could have been the second coming of the NES, but thanks to some absolutely terrible decisions on the marketing front, it's basically the next N64. And that's being generous.

Nintendo needs to start treating their back catalog like Netflix treats its streaming service. Stop getting picky about who plays what game on what system. If they're paying for the games, let them play them on a Wii, Wii U, 3DS, NX, whatever. If the device can run it, and the customer has cash in hand, let them play it. The NES Classic is a good step in that direction, at least in that it gives a heck of a value for the dollar. Time to stop leaving their gems locked in the Vault in between generations.

Netflix model good, Disney model bad.

• Like 4

It's a shame, because (IMO) the Wii U is Nintendo's best system in decades, in terms of system specs and design, and its library is extremely strong on the first-party front. It could have been the second coming of the NES, but thanks to some absolutely terrible decisions on the marketing front, it's basically the next N64. And that's being generous.

Nintendo needs to start treating their back catalog like Netflix treats its streaming service. Stop getting picky about who plays what game on what system. If they're paying for the games, let them play them on a Wii, Wii U, 3DS, NX, whatever. If the device can run it, and the customer has cash in hand, let them play it. The NES Classic is a good step in that direction, at least in that it gives a heck of a value for the dollar. Time to stop leaving their gems locked in the Vault in between generations.

Netflix model good, Disney model bad.

You had me until the last line, because Disney's DRM approach is actually way more open than Nintendo's. See https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/which I think should be the standard. Buy a Disney movie on disc or digital, and watch the digital version anywhere you are logged in with a linked account. My iTunes purchases of Disney/Marvel/StarWars are available on Xbox, Amazon, YouTube, and smart TVs.

Fortunately Disney's not as bad as they were back in the "vault" days you're thinking of, because there's a credible rumor that Disney is thinking of buying Netflix.

But yeah, there are limits to how many times we can be expected to pay for 30yo NES ROMs. Hear me, Nintendo

You had me until the last line, because Disney's DRM approach is actually way more open than Nintendo's. See https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com/which I think should be the standard. Buy a Disney movie on disc or digital, and watch the digital version anywhere you are logged in with a linked account. My iTunes purchases of Disney/Marvel/StarWars are available on Xbox, Amazon, YouTube, and smart TVs.

Fortunately Disney's not as bad as they were back in the "vault" days you're thinking of, because there's a credible rumor that Disney is thinking of buying Netflix.

But yeah, there are limits to how many times we can be expected to pay for 30yo NES ROMs. Hear me, Nintendo

I'm dimly aware that Disney is coming a long way (I don't pay attention since I still buy movies on shiny disc) but yes, I was comparing the Disney "Vault" model to Nintendo re-starting their e-shop from scratch with every new console. This is a toxic practice, IMO. I think their concept is to prevent their old titles from cannibalizing sales of the new, but there are a number of reasons I don't think that'll ever be a concern, chiefly being the difference in prices. Nintendo's back catalog should be available indefinitely, and on day 1 of every console release.

Bottom line, if Nintendo's banking on the nostalgia factor, then they need to deliver. They're arguably the only company with a back catalog that could be considered the Netflix of video games. A few well-chosen licensing agreements (Atari, Activision?) could give them a library that stretches back to the beginning of gaming itself. Hell, they could even sell the old 2600 versions of Mario Bros and DK for a couple quick bucks-- they're the only company in a position to do it.

I'd suggest if they did this, their problems with the current gen would start to resolve themselves. Their install base would be large enough that they'd start luring back those elusive 3rd parties.

• Like 4

A movie studio purchasing a 3rd party streaming service is a bad idea IMO. Too much conflict of interest, and opportunities for Disney to heavily promote their own movies while burying those of their competition.

Also given their stance on family friendly content, the entire "Steamy Romance" section will probably go bye-bye. :love: :sad:

I'm dimly aware that Disney is coming a long way (I don't pay attention since I still buy movies on shiny disc) but yes, I was comparing the Disney "Vault" model to Nintendo re-starting their e-shop from scratch with every new console. This is a toxic practice, IMO. I think their concept is to prevent their old titles from cannibalizing sales of the new, but there are a number of reasons I don't think that'll ever be a concern, chiefly being the difference in prices. Nintendo's back catalog should be available indefinitely, and on day 1 of every console release.

That is a valid comparisons between the Disney Vault program and the Nintendo VC service. No cross buy between 3DS/Wii-U, wait indefinitely for games to rerelease on new platforms, etc. Nintendo has IP, they have ROMs, they have license agreements, so their staggered release schedule with every new platform is a pain IMO. Get a new console and it sucks because no classic games at launch. I hope they have every Mario and Zelda title for NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy/Color/Advance on day one with the NX, and instant cross buy for users who purchased the VC titles on a 3DS or Wii-U with the same NNID.

Disney's stance with the movie vault is similar. People waited years for new releases on DVD/BluRay, and previous editions tend to hold their resale value fairly well compared to movies from other studios. But are they leaving money on the table by not keeping the entire back catalog in circulation? One could ask the same as Nintendo, especially how they like to play keep-away with fans for their limited edition VC ROM, DK: Complete Edition. Just release it already as a $5 download, sheesh! As for me, I still have my RetroUSB "Pie Foundry" repro. :ahoy:

• Like 1

Disney's stance with the movie vault is similar. People waited years for new releases on DVD/BluRay, and previous editions tend to hold their resale value fairly well compared to movies from other studios. But are they leaving money on the table by not keeping the entire back catalog in circulation? One could ask the same as Nintendo, especially how they like to play keep-away with fans for their limited edition VC ROM, DK: Complete Edition. Just release it already as a $5 download, sheesh! As for me, I still have my RetroUSB "Pie Foundry" repro. :ahoy:

The idea is that if Nintendo trickles out the VC releases, then people will come back month after month to buy the "new" releases. Yet, we have two generations of hardware that shows that really isn't the case. Typical Nintendo customers seem to make the bulk of their VC purchases in the first six months, if at all... so why not maximize the chances of them buying something by giving them the biggest possible selection. If the only VC titles for the NX on launch day are SMB and LoZ, what's the motivation to buy them, given the excellent chance that you already have them somewhere else? But if literally every game is ready to go on day 1, come on, EVERYONE will be looking through that catalog.

Also, Nintendo, stop making it such a pain to add money to our accounts. Just saying.

• Like 2

A movie studio purchasing a 3rd party streaming service is a bad idea IMO. Too much conflict of interest, and opportunities for Disney to heavily promote their own movies while burying those of their competition.

Also given their stance on family friendly content, the entire "Steamy Romance" section will probably go bye-bye. :love: :sad:

That is a valid comparisons between the Disney Vault program and the Nintendo VC service. No cross buy between 3DS/Wii-U, wait indefinitely for games to rerelease on new platforms, etc. Nintendo has IP, they have ROMs, they have license agreements, so their staggered release schedule with every new platform is a pain IMO. Get a new console and it sucks because no classic games at launch. I hope they have every Mario and Zelda title for NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy/Color/Advance on day one with the NX, and instant cross buy for users who purchased the VC titles on a 3DS or Wii-U with the same NNID.

Kosmic, Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Vice, Touchstone, and many more. They're more like Comcast than the cartoons-only thing you're thinking they are. They're a legit empire already. http://screenrant.com/disney-owned-brands-properties-trivia/?view=all They already pay for positioning and featuring in Netflix, including a big blitz this fall. https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-exclusive-disney-deal-us-fall-2016-1201781194/amp/?client=safari Netflix is pretty clean already, so I seriously doubt new corporate ownership would change their lineup. The buyout rumors seem to have settled down again if such a move was concerni to you. There's so much media consolidation nowadays, I'm mostly interested in seeing the stuff I like survive in the marketplace.

Name one Disney film outside of "Song of the South" that can't be purchased immediately on modern media. There are rereelases all the time, but with the internet, I haven't felt any practical effect of a "Disney Vault" since the VHS days.

Name one Disney film outside of "Song of the South" that can't be purchased immediately on modern media. There are rereelases all the time, but with the internet, I haven't felt any practical effect of a "Disney Vault" since the VHS days.

I have a DVD bootleg of Song of the South, LOL! :P

• Like 3

Kosmic, Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Vice, Touchstone, and many more. They're more like Comcast than the cartoons-only thing you're thinking they are. They're a legit empire already. http://screenrant.com/disney-owned-brands-properties-trivia/?view=all They already pay for positioning and featuring in Netflix, including a big blitz this fall. https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-exclusive-disney-deal-us-fall-2016-1201781194/amp/?client=safari

Name one Disney film outside of "Song of the South" that can't be purchased on modern media

Blu-Ray of the live-action Jungle Book movie with Jason Scott Lee and John Cheese... (Well, you asked)

• Like 1

I have a DVD bootleg of Song of the South, LOL! :P

Me too- it's pretty easy to find, there's a guy who ripped his Euro-only LD release and sells region-free DVDs of it. In a way, it's genius- buy horrifically expensive out-of-print obsolete format Disney movie. Sell (illegal) high quality not-completely obsolete copies to pay for your collector's piece.

Blu-Ray of the live-action Jungle Book movie with Jason Scott Lee and John Cheese... (Well, you asked)

You can buy that right here. https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Book-DVD-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B01CTNDO58//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=3ed341288d46fc12f0a85d80343020c7 but you won't get it until the release date of October 10, 2016 (3 days from now). It's been available on digital since the end of August. It's a weird remake -- very beautiful but I gotta say I did NOT expect them to ... (spoiler redacted)

• Like 1

Me too- it's pretty easy to find, there's a guy who ripped his Euro-only LD release and sells region-free DVDs of it. In a way, it's genius- buy horrifically expensive out-of-print obsolete format Disney movie. Sell (illegal) high quality not-completely obsolete copies to pay for your collector's piece.

We have a VHS dub of a PAL release. I'll bet it's easy enough to find this online if one really, really wants it.

Edit: yep, there's a nasty-but-very-watchable cam version of it on YouTube that I found in 2 seconds. I'm sure there are cleaner copies out there as well.

He's not talking about that movie, he's talking about this one.

oh, my ....

well, there's a DVD on Amazon for $85, what used to be called "priced to own" ...

it's available for digital purchase, which seems generous given what I would expect would be the market demand

I'll bet there is no singing in that version.

You can buy that right here. https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Book-DVD-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B01CTNDO58//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=3ed341288d46fc12f0a85d80343020c7 but you won't get it until the release date of October 10, 2016 (3 days from now). It's been available on digital since the end of August. It's a weird remake -- very beautiful but I gotta say I did NOT expect them to ... (spoiler redacted)

Wrong version - I'm talking about the 1994 film. I have it on VHS and was released on DVD in the past, but currently available only at a premium price, and no Blu-ray at all... It is available as a digital download from Amazon and Google Play, so I guess it is available to "be purchased immediately on modern media", but not ALL modern media...