IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

We have a VHS dub of a PAL release. I'll bet it's easy enough to find this online if one really, really wants it.

Edit: yep, there's a nasty-but-very-watchable cam version of it on YouTube that I found in 2 seconds. I'm sure there are cleaner copies out there as well.

My Song of the South boot DVD has a bonus banned Merry Melodies cartoon on it. Oh, the irony!

I work in DVD and Blu Rays and I can tell you Disney still maintains their vault in a way. They are one of the very few media companies (Criterion being the other) who will rarely, if ever, overstock/liquidate product. You'll see the occasional older live action Kurt Russell, or That's So Raven. But the older animated features, the classics? Nope. They protect the value of those properties doggedly.

• Like 2

Nintendo did the same by shorting the production of game carts during the NES heyday, however they stopped this practice once the antitrust suits came down, releasing game developers to publish games on the competition. Some tactics only work when you've already got a near monopoly.

I hope they don't pull this short stock bullcrap with the NES Minis or it will be Amiibo all over again...

Nintendo did the same by shorting the production of game carts during the NES heyday, however they stopped this practice once the antitrust suits came down, releasing game developers to publish games on the competition. Some tactics only work when you've already got a near monopoly.

I hope they don't pull this short stock bullcrap with the NES Minis or it will be Amiibo all over again...

I don't mean to start anything here, but don't you think you're setting yourself up for disappointment? Nintendo could easily have underestimated the demand and/or their production facilities could very well be unable to produce enough NES Minis to satisfy the total demand this November/December. Are you going to unilaterally blame Nintendo if this happens?

I don't mean to start anything here, but don't you think you're setting yourself up for disappointment? Nintendo could easily have underestimated the demand and/or their production facilities could very well be unable to produce enough NES Minis to satisfy the total demand this November/December. Are you going to unilaterally blame Nintendo if this happens?

Yes. Nintendo literally has no clue how vast their own nostalgia market is. I could see the NES Mini outselling the Wii-U this Christmas holiday if they played their cards right.

People will end up going to the store with their hearts set on the NES Mini, then ultimately settle for a Retrobit Generations or Atari Flashback after much disappointment.

• Like 1

Yes. Nintendo literally has no clue how vast their own nostalgia market is. I could see the NES Mini outselling the Wii-U this Christmas holiday if they played their cards right.

People will end up going to the store with their hearts set on the NES Mini, then ultimately settle for a Retrobit Generations or Atari Flashback after much disappointment.

Or they may get a real NES, get a flashcart for their real NES, get some original carts for the NES, get a famiclone, get the games on the Virtual Console, get a Raspberry Pi for NES emulation, emulate NES on their phone, PC, tablet, smart TV, Android TV console, and/or all the old and new ways to play these games without an NES Mini.

If someone already has any option(s) from above to play NES games then they would have much less to be disappointed in with a shortage compared to someone who doesn't have any of those options because they would still be able to play the games. And those who don't have any of those options and/or don't know of their existence that think,"Oh! An NES Mini! I remember that! I haven't played that in decades!" which are likely the main target audience for the NES Mini may learn of these other options after being disappointed and therefore still end up playing the games. Then out of that same target audience but the ones that don't get disappointed because they get an NES Mini would get to play the games and in doing so some of them may also learn of the other options. Therefore, even with a shortage it could still result in more people playing NES games while learning about more options in the hobby that may also increase the demand for more options and maybe better options which could give us all more options. More possibly better options and more people playing is a win-win situation

• Like 1

Yeah, if they can keep this in stock and available, I'll bet they will sell more in a single season than they did of Wii U for the past four years.

Disclaimer: I thought Beatles Rock Band would be a runaway best seller that moved systems and plastic guitars, which it was not, and I should not be relied updated upon for sales predictions of any kind!

• Like 3

Nintendo learned a lesson with Amiibo, namely that if it ignores demand, scalpers will profit, not Nintendo. The NES Mini looks comparatively cheap to manufacture, it does not have a disk drive, unnecessary expansion ports, a cutting edge GPU, Wi-Fi or even a fan. There should be no great difficulty in producing them in large quantities.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 3

I've kinda switched sides on this lil unit. If I find one, great. If not, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I realize that I already own all this stuff, and I can even play it on my HD tv with little issue. I'd just be buying it for the sake of doing so, and sending Nintendo a message that retro is ALIVE and WELL :D ...but who knows how it's going to play out. Nov 21st was the last release date I heard in our local EB, so we'll see.

I'm thinking finding the extra controller is going to be more of an issue than the system itself.

• Like 1

Or they may get a real NES, get a flashcart for their real NES, get some original carts for the NES, get a famiclone, get the games on the Virtual Console, get a Raspberry Pi for NES emulation, emulate NES on their phone, PC, tablet, smart TV, Android TV console, and/or all the old and new ways to play these games without an NES Mini.

Yes they could, but they wont ... why cause they are not doing it now, why would they start?

This thing really has a couple types of people its really going to sell to,nerds, and the people walking down the electronics isle and getting a flood of nostalgia while making a more or less impulse buy

• Like 2

Yes they could, but they wont ... why cause they are not doing it now, why would they start?

This thing really has a couple types of people its really going to sell to,nerds, and the people walking down the electronics isle and getting a flood of nostalgia while making a more or less impulse buy

Collecting for old video game systems creates a lot of clutter. For us collectors, it's just another device to set on the shelf and occasionally play (if we want).

For nostalgic casuals, it's a simplicity thing. No fugly piles of systems, controllers, carts, power adapters, and janky RF switches creating unnecessary clutter, snowy picture, "blow" the cart until you can get it to load in the failing connector, no fighting rising prices of vintage games, bidding on eBay, etc. Just plug in and play. No fuss. No mess.

• Like 2

If someone already has any option(s) from above to play NES games then they would have much less to be disappointed in with a shortage compared to someone who doesn't have any of those options because they would still be able to play the games. And those who don't have any of those options and/or don't know of their existence that think,"Oh! An NES Mini! I remember that! I haven't played that in decades!" which are likely the main target audience for the NES Mini may learn of these other options after being disappointed and therefore still end up playing the games. Then out of that same target audience but the ones that don't get disappointed because they get an NES Mini would get to play the games and in doing so some of them may also learn of the other options. Therefore, even with a shortage it could still result in more people playing NES games while learning about more options in the hobby that may also increase the demand for more options and maybe better options which could give us all more options. More possibly better options and more people playing is a win-win situation

Or BOTH!

The true realm of possibilities, is endless...

Consider my mind boggled...

Thanks AtariAge ...

;;;

I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing model glue ...

• Like 2

Because assuming that Kosmic Stardust is right that if the supply permits it and Nintendo plays their cards right then by this Christmas it could outsell the Wii U(Over 13 million units. From the NES Mini's launch date until Christmas Eve that is around an average of 300,000 units sold per day.) and they would be very disappointed if the supply doesn't permit it then I think it is more likely that kind of demand for 30 NES games would produce a desire to find an alternative way to play them instead of settling for a Retrobit Generations or Atari Flashback.

• Like 1

I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing model glue ...

Where would this world be without modeling glue and CPU duster cans. I honestly don't know how I'd make it through the day. /jk

Doing those kind of things can really screw up your memory, your memory, and something else that I can't recall at the moment but it is bad. Anyway, I need to make my way through all of these stars and bubbles that are filling up my room to find where that waw waw pedal sound is coming from.

• Like 4

Doing those kind of things can really screw up your memory, your memory, and something else that I can't recall at the moment but it is bad. Anyway, I need to make my way through all of these stars and bubbles that are filling up my room to find where that waw waw pedal sound is coming from.

I don't really sniff model glue, I'd be worried the fire from my pot would cause ummm more fire ...bigger fire

• Like 1

I do agree with Osgeld about the main Market for this product, and yet can imagine so many outcomes (Just like Schizophretard)...If they Don't get a Mini,...Some people Might turn to the originals or clone systems...A select few (mostly younger) and more computer literate (that counts me out) could turn to emulation (OK I've dabbled), and some might even go nuts and buy a RetroN 5 or even a Retro Freak console. They might get a different Plug and Play... And Some people will suddenly remember they have a Wii and a Virtual Console. Let's see, What's my point? I'm not sure but it probably has more to do with lacking sleep and the dangers of drinking while posting than anything coherent...

What I really like is that you guys think about this stuff, and analyze it like a business major and you think outside the box...And you're here predicting the future for our entertainment!

If I ever hit the Lotto, I'd like to buy Everyone in my AtariAge friends list a 6 pack of the beer of their choice, or a bottle of something fun ! And maybe a homebrew...A homebrew for Atari or NES or Colecovision that is...

Cheers!

• Like 2

I don't think Nintendo intentionally shorts supply to create hype, I think they are just a fundamentally conservative company and prefer to be back ordered than back stocked.

• Like 3

I don't think Nintendo intentionally shorts supply to create hype, I think they are just a fundamentally conservative company and prefer to be back ordered than back stocked.

Indeed. I don't think Nintendo benefits from short-stocking nearly as much as people assume they do. The idea has some merit when talking about console games, in which it's in their best-interests to generate long-term demand. But when it comes to plastic trinkets (which is basically the appeal of the Classic) the window of desirability is considerably shorter before public interest moves on to something else. If Nintendo loses a sale due to lack of availability on this thing, that customer isn't coming back. It's totally different from someone driving to another state to find Mario Kart Double Dash.

• Like 1