IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Which means they stick you with the "emulator on your PC monitor" look, which sucked even in 1997.

Emulators sucked in 1997. Of that there is little doubt. But they were in their infancy and we were slap happy to even have them. Today's emulators are so much better.

Of all the speculation of how this will look.. Why not turn to youtube? Or is it that nonsense NDA stuff. Building suspense and all that?

Crap mame cabs with crap pc monitors are indeed crap! Of that there is no need for discussion.

OK, I didn't think there'd be any vids before release date. But, hey, I don't know everything.. Now, as someone who has been involved with emulation since before mame, I can say that my own rig looks a hell of a lot better than what I just saw. But that's on youtube. With youtube's compression artifacts.

Edited by Keatah

There are many ways to adapt a legacy analog AV signal to work on a modern HDMI-equipped display. These are in high demand.

There are very few ways to adapt a modern HDMI signal to work on an obsolete analog display. These are not in high demand, and Nintendo is not in the business of supporting discontinued products.

The cheese stands alone.

• Like 1

As I said in my original post on this thread, they don't need to integrate it into the system, they could simply offer an official HDMI-to-A/V adapter. Nintendo has stuff made in China these days. If Chinese manufacturers can make an entire Famiclone and sell it for ~$10 (which includes the console, two controllers, A/V cables, AC adapter, and a pack-in game cartridge), how expensive do you think it would be to make just an A/V adapter? It would be a matter of pennies, and they could sell plenty of them for $10 each.

I'll ignore the rest, and concentrate on this for a minute. Choose wisely...

How many of these adapters do you think Nintendo would sell?

Also, how much do you think it would cost Nintendo to engineer/develop this A/V adapter, even if 80% of it is already designed?

I am looking forward to the NES Classic Mini and have my fingers crossed that I can get one on Friday.

I have tons of original NES stuff and also enjoy it in emulation, but I still think it will fun. Most of the plug and play consoles I've owned have been fun.

• Like 1

Never said it was a Nintendo branded adapter. Just an adapter. It's like you don't buy Apple furniture (cause they don't make it) for your Apple computer.

I know you like vintage Apple, but did you notice that modern Apple doesn't even make standalone monitors anymore? They're recommending an LG 5K screen now. It reminds me of when they got out of the printer business many years ago.

I fully embrace the portable Nintendo-made display known as the 3DS. If I didn't already have most of them already, I'd wish for a special NES Classic deal on the 3DS Virtual Console.

• Like 1

(it's nothing exactly new to the conversation, but) I've been talking with customers and coworkers at the place I work a good bit and it seems that there's a lot of casual interest in this new NES. Personally I don't exactly think it's the best in my mind, but there's been a good bit of conversation and people do want it.

Basically the main points I hear are:

• HDMI-out for easy connection to HDTVs. A ton of locals are excited because everyone threw their CRT out the window and shot it with the nearest 12ga. so they have an excuse to buy that new slick 4K UHD whatever-you-want-to-call-it TV. Because this, we get customers who pop in, buy a NES, take it home, and it turns out their new TV won't lock into the signal. When we tell them "well you'd need another TV, an upscaler, or a mod which we can do but it'll cost money if you want original hardware and not emulation" to fix the problem, it's making them all matters of excited to play the games they had when they were kids or show their kids again at a lower price.

• The pricepoint. Yeah I know they're out of stock everywhere and I have no idea how limited of a run these things are going to be if it is limited, but seeing $60 for the 30 games and all that is value in a bunch of peoples eyes, as they check all the stores and figure out that buying an NES and physical carts is going to run them more. Same deal with all the other major plug 'n plays, they see the tiny size and big list of games built-in and jump straight for them.

• The controllers. I saw the whole short cord length thing and believe me I wasn't happy, but I know a good few people own a Wii or Wii U with NES games downloaded via Virtual Console, and the fact that they can run the controllers for the more authentic feel or whatever is exciting.

Would I buy it? Nah - I'll opt for emulation with a much cheaper RPi/my PC or my NES with a flashcart/the standard carts. If I wanted HDMI and a big gamelist on a NES, I'd go buy an AVS or Hi-Def NES kit thrown in one of my toasters, buy an Everdrive N8 or something like that, hook the sucker up to my 2nd computer monitor or the big TV in the living room, and love the thing to death. Still, I think it's cool the amount of excitment a plug 'n play has generated, and it's a bit funny to see people younger than myself walk in and ask about buying NES stuff - not something I exactly expected to become commonplace at the shop in a while.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 4

Sort of, he's been going on for a few pages too many if you ask me, I know you didn't ask though.

What was his point anyway? That the only orthodox way that he recognizes to play classic NES games is with an orig NES on a CRT and everyone else is not experiencing the real deal no matter how close it could be? I believe that's his opinion, whether anyone else should take notice or not is obviously not his choice to make.

Or is it, like he stated, that he would only have considered the Mini NES classic viable if it had cart port + composhit out ..... well it does not so he's not considering it, great. I believe him once more when he says he's not considering it. As for his reasoning as to why I don't have to agree in the least.

Once more for me is that simple SW emulation on a cheap ARM SoC is not what I would have expected, or better I would have preferred something more substantial (FPGA/NoaC or mostly HW based). So told I bought the Konami EU plug'n'play (which I need to play thru a composite PAL to HDMI converter no less, just to have 1942/Commando/Ghosts'N'Goblins) so it's not that this thing is beneath me by any stretch. I welcome the HDMI out, easier to connect, I doubt I will miss much of those artifacts/softening typical of CRT, but that's me and I assure you I will feel like I play the classics whatever he may think/believe/preach .... and I do have a Sharp Twin + N8 if I really am in the mood for the "original" experience (which is a little overrated but just in case). I still keep a very old and crappy 13" CRT for the occasional light gun games on NES/SMS and to boast about how I can play the 3D stereoscopic titles of the epoch with shutter glasses and all ..... not that there's much to boast about, mind you, I look like an idiot with those goggles in my face (I know I do as that's what my wife tells me).

• Like 2

Check out the ridiculous eBay price gouging that is going on with this mini NES. I can't believe some people are willing to pay those prices.

But are they willing? Or are these the hopeful prices set by scalpers?

I'd be delighted to wake up Friday and see the supply line flooded, with scalpers unable to move a single unit.

• Like 4

The message of that video seemed odd to me,"Doing our part to help the environment." The three R's are reduce, reuse, and recycle. Unless they are sorting the working CRT's from the broken ones, using parts from broken ones to refurbish others, selling what works or donating them to the poor, only recycling what can't be reused, etc. to reduce the need to buy new TV's that would need to eventually go through a three R's process themselves then all they are doing is recycling sand. We aren't going through a sand shortage and the environment isn't either. Sand can be found in the least GREEN and the most inhabitable places for LIFE on EARTH that take up a third of the surface AKA deserts. It just annoys me with how much companies that want to appear green and just environmentalism in general puts an emphasis on recycling when it is placed as the last R because it is meant as the last resort after the best is done with the other two R's. Anyway, back to the normal programming of recycling CRT's and NES consoles to produce new TV's and new NES consoles to give us something to argue about until we recycle those so that the next generation could have things to bitch about while sitting at their computers and eating Soylent Green Cheetos.

• Like 2

As far as "recycling" old hardware and displays into new consoles and modern displays goes, it's one big circle. I never recycle anything unless I get paid directly for my efforts. Doesn't have to be a lot, but it does have to happen.

Emulation helps cut down on the materials consumed, and when it comes time to replace the master hardware it I just chuck it curbside.

Edited by Keatah

I know you like vintage Apple, but did you notice that modern Apple doesn't even make standalone monitors anymore?

No I didn't, not for certain anyways. I may have heard about it but it was in one ear and out the other. That's too bad. But not unexpected. Most all companies would do away with any form of manufacturing if possible. They see it as a liability even if it isn't.

On other markets, preorders have greatly exceeded available units and those who were late to preordering may have to wait until April 2017 to get their NES Classic Mini. Thus if you'll find an abundance of units in retail at launch day, either Nintendo has shipped the majority of manufactured units to the US market, or the demand among customers in America is significantly lower than on e.g. various European markets.

• Like 1