IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

The message of that video seemed odd to me,"Doing our part to help the environment." The three R's are reduce, reuse, and recycle. Unless they are sorting the working CRT's from the broken ones, using parts from broken ones to refurbish others, selling what works or donating them to the poor, only recycling what can't be reused, etc. to reduce the need to buy new TV's that would need to eventually go through a three R's process themselves then all they are doing is recycling sand. We aren't going through a sand shortage and the environment isn't either. Sand can be found in the least GREEN and the most inhabitable places for LIFE on EARTH that take up a third of the surface AKA deserts. It just annoys me with how much companies that want to appear green and just environmentalism in general puts an emphasis on recycling when it is placed as the last R because it is meant as the last resort after the best is done with the other two R's. Anyway, back to the normal programming of recycling CRT's and NES consoles to produce new TV's and new NES consoles to give us something to argue about until we recycle those so that the next generation could have things to bitch about while sitting at their computers and eating Soylent Green Cheetos.

Not to mention the fact that "sand" made from CRT glass likely has an unhealthy amount of lead in it, which by grinding it into microscopic granules only serves to increase 100x the amount of heavy metal content leeched into the environment. :roll:

• Like 1

Flojomojo: I'm not sure about the limitations, but already from the day it was launched, preorder was the way to go, both for mail order businesses and regular stores. I understand you had the opposite experience, no preorders at all, but I don't know on which circumstances these radically two different business models were employed. Perhaps the demand in Europe was more uncertain, so in order to not end up with unsold lots a few months into next year, they decided that preordering was the way to go.

• Like 1

It depends a little which individual countries you consider. Indeed we ran the C64 for longer, possibly had more Amigas and Atari STs and in particular, the Sega Master System had far bigger market shares in e.g. UK than it did in the US. Here in Sweden, half of the country has been Nintendoland since 1983 or so (*), thus a big demand for anything that emerges from their factories.

(*) Bergsala, the Swedish importer/agent of Nintendo products since the very first G&W games, were among the most eager ones to introduce the Famicom outside of Japan in 1984. All other markets were seeing a decline, but Bergsala were strongly convinced about its future and according to the legend they were this -><- close to get Nintendo to make a PAL version of the Famicom. Eventually though, Nintendo decided to launch the grey NES in the USA a whole year before Bergsala and others got to release it in Europe, which must've felt like your wife was cheating on you.

• Like 4

As an interesting note, my local game stores isn't even sure they're getting any of these at launch. I was in the other day and asked them about it, they had put in an order for some and they couldn't get any confirmation on the order. So their assumption was because they're a small store and the demand is high, they won't even get any at launch.

What will trying to obtain one on launch day be like? The official release date for the U.S. is this Friday, the 11th. Unless one of the big chains breaks the sales embargo by selling consoles early, I doubt many people are likely to be able to put their hands on one until release day.

Most Gamestop and Best Buy stores in my area open at 10AM. Will units be shipped prior to release day or will units be shipping to stores on release day. Are people likely to camp out there for this thing? Target usually opens at 8AM, and Wal-Mart is usually 7AM for the non-24hr stores. How likely is it that the units will be put on the floor by 7-8AM?

I have read that many stores expect maybe one box of approximately 4 units. With so few units, I would think that in many cases store employees would buy them all up for themselves or their friends and family members. Would it be unreasonable to advance that unless you have an inside contact whose store was lucky enough to get some units in their store, you can almost certainly forget about holding one in your hands on Friday at the retail price.

The image I posted a few pages back was from someone working in a Target stockroom. It looked like they got at least 4 cartons of at least a dozen each, not just 4 units. I think I'll check there first.

It's Veteran's Day for what that's worth -- a federal holiday for some people but not necessarily a big shopping day. Playing old video games is not the most patriotic way to spend the day.

I'll probably check out Target but not at 8am. Make it rain, Nintendo!

Edit: the person who took the picture in the Target storeroom said their store received 18 units.

• Like 1

What will trying to obtain one on launch day be like? The official release date for the U.S. is this Friday, the 11th. Unless one of the big chains breaks the sales embargo by selling consoles early, I doubt many people are likely to be able to put their hands on one until release day.

Most Gamestop and Best Buy stores in my area open at 10AM. Will units be shipped prior to release day or will units be shipping to stores on release day. Are people likely to camp out there for this thing? Target usually opens at 8AM, and Wal-Mart is usually 7AM for the non-24hr stores. How likely is it that the units will be put on the floor by 7-8AM?

I have read that many stores expect maybe one box of approximately 4 units. With so few units, I would think that in many cases store employees would buy them all up for themselves or their friends and family members. Would it be unreasonable to advance that unless you have an inside contact whose store was lucky enough to get some units in their store, you can almost certainly forget about holding one in your hands on Friday at the retail price.

That is an interesting question, how many hard core game nerds are there out there vs day one supply, and does it really matter? I remember a couple years ago when the coleco , genesis and intellevision flashbacks came out OMG you couldnt find one as every nerd headed directly down to dollar general that day.... Then they sat for weeks, about a week before xmas they got slashed to half price, then after that the remaining stock went back to full price and is still sitting at your local store to this day.

NES mini yea has a lot more hype and a lot more casual fans that might buy into it (debateable vs the genesis) but on the other side of the coin, they have a lot bigger distrubution channels and manufacturing capabilities, with a simpler "under the hood" design

SO will you be unable to get one within the first couple months, and its gone and done? or will they be sitting at the store 2 years from now ... Im no market analyst so I cant tell you

• Like 1

I visited Best Buy today and inquired about the NES Mini with Customer Service. The lady who I talked to confirmed the release date as November 11th but said she cannot confirm how much stock they will receive as the shipment hasn't arrived yet.

I plan on arriving early at either Best Buy or Target on the 11th. They open at the same time here but ToysRUs and Game Stop both open a couple hours later so I'll get two shots at getting one on launch if I play my cards right. I'll show up about two hours before open and if there's already a long line, screw it. Two hours early is about my limit but it get easier when the second customer shows up and I have someone to chat with. I may bring my GBA (with fully loaded Everdrive) to pass the time. Mostly the riff raff here start showing up between 15 and 30 minutes to open then more people show up 5 minutes to open and whine that people are already queued up.

I'm gonna try to pick up two units from different retailers. One for myself and one for my uncle in Florida. If I can only secure one unit, it's going to my uncle for Christmas because I'm willing to wait until after the holidays for my own Mini if need be. I anticipate I should also be able to secure a spare controller if the Minis sell out (so my aunt can join in if she wants to).

• Like 2

Man, lots of arguments on this thread lately. So it goes.

Anyways, I'm at my local Walmart and sure enough people are asking about the NES mini. They told me the limited number of them they're getting, and the interest it's garnering. I'm back on the fence with this unit, and may buy one simply to support the retro cause (sending Nintendo a message, yadda yadda yadda).

I was kinda worried about getting one, but then they told me that they'll be getting more later, but probably not until after Christmas. So...that's cool. No sense in trying to rush out and get one now, like it's some kinda limited edition or something. As long as I can get one at 'some' point, I'm ok with that.

• Like 3

Thought:

Do you think having the controller as an accessory might be a sign that the Classic is planned to be available for a decent period of time (1 year or more)? I would think if it was just a limited release, intended only for the holidays, Nintendo would include both controllers to minimize the SKUs.

• Like 1

I visited Best Buy today and inquired about the NES Mini with Customer Service. The lady who I talked to confirmed the release date as November 11th but said she cannot confirm how much stock they will receive as the shipment hasn't arrived yet.

I plan on arriving early at either Best Buy or Target on the 11th. They open at the same time here but ToysRUs and Game Stop both open a couple hours later so I'll get two shots at getting one on launch if I play my cards right. I'll show up about two hours before open and if there's already a long line, screw it. Two hours early is about my limit but it get easier when the second customer shows up and I have someone to chat with. I may bring my GBA (with fully loaded Everdrive) to pass the time. Mostly the riff raff here start showing up between 15 and 30 minutes to open then more people show up 5 minutes to open and whine that people are already queued up.

I'm gonna try to pick up two units from different retailers. One for myself and one for my uncle in Florida. If I can only secure one unit, it's going to my uncle for Christmas because I'm willing to wait until after the holidays for my own Mini if need be. I anticipate I should also be able to secure a spare controller if the Minis sell out (so my aunt can join in if she wants to).

Good for you man, sharing the love with your uncle. I plan to pick one up for my 8 year old, sort of the start of passing the torch to the younger generation, hes a Nintendo junkie as it is, Mario Paper this, Mario and Luigi that, all over his 3DS XL and Wii U.

I've got my wife's old NES deck with the orange gun and power pad, some original carts, a homebrew or two and a PowerPak multi cart from retroUSB, but this, this one will be HIS.

Target by me is up at 8 AM so thats first on my list. The guys at the local Gamestop filled me in on the sly as to how many they have to sell (24) but I couldn't talk or bribe them into setting one aside, so they'll be my fallback.

After some thought, think I'll pass on this one for now. I don't need a miniaturized NES that has games I already have. The actual NES is much cooler.

I'm more interested in the mini Famicom, and the mini Sega Genesis console which nobody seems to mention much.

After some thought, think I'll pass on this one for now. I don't need a miniaturized NES that has games I already have. The actual NES is much cooler.

I'm more interested in the mini Famicom, and the mini Sega Genesis console which nobody seems to mention much.

If the Mini Sega Genesis console is an AtGames product (or built on the same core), the audio will make your ears bleed. Just saying... :roll: