IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

From SwiftFrost of NintendoAge:

Thank you for your interest in ordering the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic! Read on for information on how to get your very own NES Classic at Amazon.com.

The NES Classic will be available for sale at 2:00 p.m. PT on Friday, November 11. Purchases are limited to one per customer, and 1-Click Ordering will be disabled for this item. Please make sure you've updated your credit card and shipping information to help you move quickly through the checkout process. We have very limited quantities of this item, however we will be receiving additional quantities over the coming weeks. Please act quickly at 2:00 p.m. PT on Friday for your best chance at buying an NES Classic.

Demand is expected to be very high, and there's no guarantee that it will remain in stock for long. We will make similar announcements when additional inventory becomes available.

• Like 1

It's Veteran's Day for what that's worth -- a federal holiday for some people but not necessarily a big shopping day. Playing old video games is not the most patriotic way to spend the day.

That's one thing that actually bothers me a little about the release, and not just for the NES Mini but for any game that drops on the 11th. They could pick any other day, so why pick a day that people use to honour those who fought and died for us? It's a shame really. I make a point to go to Remembrance Day (that's what we call it in Canada) services. But I notice more and more that young people don't understand or don't care about it. It's a real shame, I have relatives that fought and died, and some that lived with invisible wounds the rest of their lives. It seems onerous to spend the day rushing out to buy a new toy and not spend at least a couple hours at a service. I understand that not everyone cares about that stuff, or maybe even agrees with it. But I think at least people can agree that it took a hell of a lot of courage and bravery for those men and women to charge into hell so people like me have the freedom I enjoy.

I digress.

Off topic I know, that's just something that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

If the Mini Sega Genesis console is an AtGames product (or built on the same core), the audio will make your ears bleed. Just saying... :roll:

Could be. Or it could also be the just-announced Brazilian model from TecToy. Either way, unlikely to be interesting to someone stateside.

I do hope that, if nothing else, the mini sets a new standard of quality for these plug and plays.

• Like 1

Seriously. I want a NES classic, and I think it's a neat product, but of all things out there, this is the last one anyone should be rushing to buy... Why would anyone care so much about havin one of these NOW?

Is the nintendo seal of quality some weird hypnotic thing? I seriously don't really understand.

• Like 2

Seriously. I want a NES classic, and I think it's a neat product, but of all things out there, this is the last one anyone should be rushing to buy... Why would anyone care so much about havin one of these NOW?

Is the nintendo seal of quality some weird hypnotic thing? I seriously don't really understand.

It's a combination of it being really well-packaged (if you want one for yourself) or wanting to make sure you have one to give as a gift this Christmas (because it's going to be a hot item). Plus, the low price means you don't have to sit down and ask yourself how you'll pay for it, like you would for a bigger ticket item.

Because Emulation is illegal and this is official and legit.

• Like 1

My reasons:

1. NEW AND SHINY (and cheap, too)

2. It's just "nicer" in this form. I buy all the Virtual Console games I like, too. Nintendo has good polish in their presentation.

3. New controller that works on the Wii U

4. Support companies that keep old games alive by giving them money. I'm buying the Atari Flashback Portable and already have the PS4 versions too -- I don't need multiple copies of stuff I already have, but I want them.

<continues below ...>

• Like 2

5. If it were 1989, here's the money we'd be saving if we could get this at 2016 prices.

sears-catalog-1988-pg615-NES_full.jpg

sears-catalog-1990-pg1447-NES_full.jpg

This is a selection of 1989 Sears Catalog prices

Control Deck $89.99

Ghosts and Goblins $29.99

Adventure of Link $37.99

Punch-Out (no Mike Tyson) $29.99

Legend of Zelda $37.99

Super Mario 3. $39.99

Dr. Mario $34.95

Final Fantasy $44.95

Super C $39.95

Ninja Gaiden $24.95

Super Mario 2 $39.95

... all that would have cost $450.69 back then ... or $877.49 today ...and that's for the hardware and only 11 of the 30 games in this package.

Today's price of $59.99 would have had the buying power of just $30.81 back then.

In general, old video games depreciate FAST, and these are all quite old. Even so, these are all good games, no filler crap at all, and it's a great value in a beautifully curated package, just plug and go.

That's why I want one tomorrow.

• Like 6

That's one thing that actually bothers me a little about the release, and not just for the NES Mini but for any game that drops on the 11th. They could pick any other day, so why pick a day that people use to honour those who fought and died for us? It's a shame really. I make a point to go to Remembrance Day (that's what we call it in Canada) services. But I notice more and more that young people don't understand or don't care about it. It's a real shame, I have relatives that fought and died, and some that lived with invisible wounds the rest of their lives. It seems onerous to spend the day rushing out to buy a new toy and not spend at least a couple hours at a service. I understand that not everyone cares about that stuff, or maybe even agrees with it. But I think at least people can agree that it took a hell of a lot of courage and bravery for those men and women to charge into hell so people like me have the freedom I enjoy.

I'm pretty sure them young'uns understand. And would be interested in a parade and service provided it doesn't equate to hours of standing still in a hot sun all day long. Left alone they might even do cursory research to see what it's all about.

Problem is those goddammned phones (and other portable entertainment devices). They're naturally going to pay attention to faster moving things and falling into the social pressure trap that all their friends are doing it - playing on social media.

The above is a 100% correct and direct observation. I see it happen at services all the time.

As far as the NES mini being released on that date? I don't think it matters one iota. I don't see any connection. And I believe the date was arbitrary. The NES mini isn't that big of a product anyways.

It is. And the color harmony on the package is attractive. The personal unboxing experience is sure to be premium and pleasurable in many ways.

... all that would have cost $450.69 back then ... or $877.49 today ...and that's for the hardware and only 11 of the 30 games in this package.

Today's price of $59.99 would have had the buying power of just $30.81 back then.

In general, old video games depreciate FAST, and these are all quite old. Even so, these are all good games, no filler crap at all, and it's a great value in a beautifully curated package, just plug and go.

They do indeed depreciate quickly. But it is also important to remember that the cost of electronics is extremely inflated when a product if first released - gotta recoup R&D and all that.

Future iterations always tend to be cheaper as manufacturing efficiencies, competition, and scale of economy is baked in. And lastly, at EOL, they end up in the $4.99 bargain bin.

Anyhow. That's the whole purpose of these flashback/mini consoles. Attractive package and simple operation. Just plug and go fun.

• Like 1

5. If it were 1989, here's the money we'd be saving if we could get this at 2016 prices.

sears-catalog-1988-pg615-NES_full.jpg

sears-catalog-1990-pg1447-NES_full.jpg

This is a selection of 1989 Sears Catalog prices

Control Deck $89.99

Ghosts and Goblins $29.99

Adventure of Link $37.99

Punch-Out (no Mike Tyson) $29.99

Legend of Zelda $37.99

Super Mario 3. $39.99

Dr. Mario $34.95

Final Fantasy $44.95

Super C $39.95

Ninja Gaiden $24.95

Super Mario 2 $39.95

But we don't get new boxes and manuals.

Anyhow. That's the whole purpose of these flashback/mini consoles. Attractive package and simple operation. Just plug and go fun.

Indeed. There has been no end of complaining about the Mini by people who, honestly, just don't accept that it's not meant for them. When asked to explain it, I've said that the Mini is a good deal because it makes these games cheap and convenient. There is literally no other way to play them that is both as cheap and as convenient as this box. For any flaws you might find in the technology, the packaging, or the value, that's still true.

• Like 6

I am debating whether to buy one of them tomorrow. $80 Canadian plus tax. No Canadian pre-orders on the Internet that I can find.

I called a local EBGames. The guy told me, "I can't say how many we'll get, and I can't take pre-orders. All I can say is that we open at 11:15am, and if you're here when we open you'll probably be able to get one."

On the other hand, $80 plus tax could buy a lot of other goodies...

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Like when Star Fox 64 3D was slated to come out on September 11th. They moved that one.

I can tell you that most veterans don't get their panties in a bunch over something so utterly inconsequential like Nintendo releasing a product on the 11th. They also hear "Thank you for your service" so often it's pretty much in the same reflex category as "god bless you" after a sneeze. You want to really thank a veteran, make a quiet donation to an organization that helps wounded veterans and go buy your Nintendo mini.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 4

I'll be waiting to see one in the wild to get it, it will happen soon enough.

I've found what could be an interesting alternative in the ZxUno FPGA board. They have a fairly new NES core and I found out that the board can be made to boot directly into games, at least in the Spectrum core (they ship with a few homebrews preinstalled). That can be added to the NES one, probably.

Its still early days, the NES core doesnt yet support composite video out nor the prototype HDMI adapter some guys are making, but in the end it might provide a solution for FPGA NES at less than 100 Euros including any cables/cases (half price of the MiST FPGA).

In the interim, I've made the MiST NES core support the Unsaturated-V6 and FCEUX palettes inspired from somebody grumbling at the options of the AVS. Hooray for open hardware :)

Edited by Newsdee

Did anyone ever see any button remapping options in videos of this?

I wonder if they overlooked that appreciated feature of the Wii U Virtual Console. With most Classic Controllers having 4 buttons (6 in the case of arcade sticks), it would've been useful for many if they wanted to use something other than the included controller.

Did anyone ever see any button remapping options in videos of this?

I wonder if they overlooked that appreciated feature of the Wii U Virtual Console. With most Classic Controllers having 4 buttons (6 in the case of arcade sticks), it would've been useful for many if they wanted to use something other than the included controller.

Back in the old days that was all we had. 2 buttons + Dpad + Select and Start. So for authentic feel its not best to use other options. The games were not designed for 6 buttons.

• Like 1