IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Oh you don't have to sell me on the system. I mentioned before that I wasn't willing to put up with or subject anyone else to the holiday mess that surrounded the release, but I was interested in it. After my mother surprised me with one, I played the heck out of Bubble Bobble and Dr. Mario during my Christmas break. It's a fine little box, and I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If I have any complaint at all, it's that I think they should have included Contra instead of Super C. But Super C is good too, so that's a minor nitpick.

I wasn't trying to sell, it's just my experience. And 100% agree on Contra, but I heard it was some weird licensing reason around something related to it. I never liked Super C too much, found it just too hard because of cheap deaths, not deserved hard kills like Contra would dish out.

Does anyone else expect to see the Mini eventually become available second-hand (e.g. thrift shop, flea market) without ever having seen one new in stores?

Maybe someone will donate one, but I doubt such a thing would make it out to the sales floor. It would get snapped up by an employee and flipped on eBay for $$$!

• Like 1

Maybe someone will donate one, but I doubt such a thing would make it out to the sales floor. It would get snapped up by an employee and flipped on eBay for $$$!

I take the L-O-N-G term perspective on collecting. Just last year, I finally found a Flashback 2 at a reasonable price at a thrift shop. Sure, I had to wait 11 years, but still I found one!

• Like 1

I take the L-O-N-G term perspective on collecting. Just last year, I finally found a Flashback 2 at a reasonable price at a thrift shop. Sure, I had to wait 11 years, but still I found one!

That's a healthy approach. In the case of the NES Classic, these games are 30 years old, so camping out to get one is an odd move.

• Like 1

Damn that is a long wait. I enjoy the hunt like the next guy but if I want something bad enough, I normally just go ahead and pay retail prices because I may never run into one in my lifetime. I don't want to be an old geezer with arthritis when I finally find an item I have been looking for out in the wild. Example: I have been hunting for a PSone w/ LCD screen for a couple of years but have never ever seen one out in the wild. Not even just the console with no screen. So I went ahead and picked one up online for a decent price a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by thadsilverfox

I did that also for years... until recently. Now I shoot for a shorter, long-term... because times have changed. Take the PSP Go as the handheld that helped me see the writing on the wall. In a very short time, they will all be basically PSP Paperweight edition as they are completely dependent on download. Even on my PS3, XBox 360, PS Vita, PSP etc... there are games that are digital only. Support for those systems is soon gone. Gives me even greater appreciation for Cartridge systems... I can play them as long as I can maintain the hardware to do so... now more and more games are being made with a "Product Life Cycle". This is the down side to digital content for me.

<snip>

Example: I have been hunting for a PSone w/ LCD screen for a couple of years but have never ever seen one out in the wild. Not even just the console with no screen. So I went ahead and picked one up online for a decent price a couple of weeks ago.

I have one of those... they are so interesting! Is like a portable, but with a normal controller. :D

Really they kind of have all the disadvantages of both a console and a portable, but I still like mine. If only they had those when I was a kid in the back seat on a seemingly endless road trip. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I'm part of this club as of Dec 23rd. I found a Dreamcast in a wine box at a goodwill in town for $6 with all the oem wires and controller with 1 sega vmu (w/dust cover) then the madcatz clearblue programmable pad and 2 high frequency memory cards and 2 official extension cords. I last owned one 12 years ago and when it went away it was not a choice I wanted to make (no money, underemployed, being really brief) and I've watched for one ever since. I'd rarely see them looking janky and usually with it just being alone and nothing else so I'd leave it. I was that patient and easily could have bought one on ebay years ago but I held out. It's far more worth it to get the find if you don't just rumble into it like a dump truck.

As others said I'm very amused Nintendo was caught in a lie. Closed system that can't be updated...right. USB port + hold button on face of unit + use hacker software = load your own roms up to the 512MB storage space cap of the device. Caught in a big fat lie.

• Like 1

As others said I'm very amused Nintendo was caught in a lie. Closed system that can't be updated...right. USB port + hold button on face of unit + use hacker software = load your own roms up to the 512MB storage space cap of the device. Caught in a big fat lie.

Well, they couldn't exactly say that their little system was reprogrammable, now could they? :P

So it took less than two months for hackers to figure out this little gizmo. Now I guess it's only a matter of time before someone releases a proper Windows application that lets you put NES ROMs and box images in specific directories and upload the whole shebang into the NES Mini via USB.

The downside of this is that Nintendo may decide not to release the Super-NES Mini after all... We'll see.

• Like 1

First, I'm not sure if it's fair to say that Nintendo "lied". This wasn't intended to be updated, and the only reason it is is a giant pain in the ass. For a lot of people, it's still effectively closed.

I really hope this doesn't discourage Nintendo from producing more stock, or from making new consoles. I like the idea of this thing and hate to see it nipped in the bud.

• Like 2

For the NES classic.. I'm of long term perspective, but not THAT (11 years) long. :lol: I'd be fine getting this in march.. about what, 5 or 6 months after release? It'd be pretty ridiculous to get it in Summer, but if that's what it takes. That said, I fully expect to get one this month or next. We'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Well, they couldn't exactly say that their little system was reprogrammable, now could they? :P

So it took less than two months for hackers to figure out this little gizmo. Now I guess it's only a matter of time before someone releases a proper Windows application that lets you put NES ROMs and box images in specific directories and upload the whole shebang into the NES Mini via USB.

The downside of this is that Nintendo may decide not to release the Super-NES Mini after all... We'll see.

Originally hackers discovered a Jtag connector on the NES Mini motherboard, and this was the method initially used to access the device. It was assumed that software would be loaded through this port at the factory prior to assembly.

The fact it is now possible to load software through USB without even opening the device is a shocker.

I guarantee if Nintendo releases an NES Mini2 or SNES Mini, they will plug this exploit and leave the data pins disconnected or only use it for reporting power usage.

If someone releases an "idiot proof" GUI interface for dumoing and flashing the NES Mini, I would like to tweak the menu a bit. Replace CVII with CVIII (Japanese version if it works), maybe throw in some more shooters, Japan exclusive games like Devil World, Gimmick, and Parodius Da, Earthbound (NTSC Proto), Tengen Tetris (oh, the irony!), Tengen Ms Pacman, Wario's Woods and Yoshi's Cookie (two of my favorite puzzle games), Chip & Dale RR 1&2, Tiny Toon Adventures 1&2, Duck Tales 1&2, BB2, Bonk, LS, Panic Restaurant, etc... :cool:

• Like 1

Nah they couldn't admit it was reprogrammable, but they could have admitted that the option was there for future expansion in those vague terms. Hackers were going to try either way, but it would also have been fun to let the honest people make up wish lists in case they did really intend to have some update flash to it.

I don't see them canning this, as people once joked about the DS 'It prints money!' (for them and scalpers.) If anything if even possible without screwing themselves they'll update the device perhaps with the NES, but most likely with the next (likely SNES) so that the opening is slammed shut for no updates. Whatever is the cheapest, easiest and most viable way to make it annoying if not impossible for hackers (without soldering parts to the board) I could see them doing that just to lock it down. I don't see them giving up on easy money.

The device has been looked at and it's by the chips within researched by people revealed to be more powerful than the New3DS out nearly 2 years ago now. It's a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU, which has been clocked at 1.2GHz in smartphones, as well as 256MB of DDR3 RAM and 512MB of NAND flash storage and has a Mali 400 GPU which could be powerful enough to pump out as many as 55 million triangles per second (in its 28nm, 500MHz variant.) That's nothing to laugh at. It could easily handle the virtual console emulator adaptation for SNES, N64, and if they would go there anything Gameboy family too. Handheld far less likely as it would be in more direct competition with their new dockable handheld Switch. Even more less likely anyone else who got in with the VC could perhaps get something thrown together but I wouldn't count on it, yet stuff like the TG16, the Sega systems, and Neo Geo would have no issue running either.

I hope someone makes a bitchin little GUI for Windows, Linux and Apple/Android too. Something along the lines of those old idiot proof click and drag tools the old PocketNES (NES emu for GBA) had where you select what you want, click the button, and it just builds the file. From there just push the button and have it injected into the little modern Nintendo and call it a day. I'd buy a second one just to throw my 55 NES/15Famicom game library into the device and carry that around to protect my old original stuff.

• Like 2

I hope someone makes a bitchin little GUI for Windows, Linux and Apple/Android too. Something along the lines of those old idiot proof click and drag tools the old PocketNES (NES emu for GBA) had where you select what you want, click the button, and it just builds the file. From there just push the button and have it injected into the little modern Nintendo and call it a day. I'd buy a second one just to throw my 55 NES/15Famicom game library into the device and carry that around to protect my old original stuff.

This. If I have to mess around with command line or hex editing tools where one wrong move could brick the device after I update it, then no thanks. I'm more or less thinking, install software, dump the OS from the Mini, extract it, inject ROMs or tweak the menu to my liking, then rebuild it and push it to the Mini.

Perhaps expert hackers could build images pre-loaded with various games, then push it to the device. And that quad core Cortex CPU sounds a lot like a Raspberry Pi. If someone ported Retro Pie to the device, unlocking multiple systems, it would be the ultimate smack to Nintendo. Play N64 games on it with a CC Pro controller! :grin: