IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Don't know, we're 2 1/2 weeks into 2017 can't say. They did restock a large amount days before Christmas which is when I got one for a surprise that morning. I think it's entirely asinine too, don't get me wrong as I don't see there being much of an excuse other than one...would they be using the same factory lines if the tooling is there, even for parts of it, entirely to get as many Switch's made by shipment time I'd imagine early/mid February to be ready for 3/3.

I don't know if the power supply rating is known yet on it is it? They do like to share stuff, and the NES CE uses a 5.2V 1Amp LITEON branded AC box with a USB-A to USB-C (system side) power cable. As dumb as it may be, perhaps the line for those adapters, or some other part of the Switch is gumming up the works. IF that's the case I wouldn't expect much of any of them showing up until late March into April which is awful.

Who does this? Nintendo. Time and again. Say hello to the wave one Amiibo for a year, the first TWO years of the Wii at Christmas, and so on going back.

NES Mini uses a standard 5V MicroUSB cable. Switch uses a USB-C plug. Not sure what the power rating is but all C devices/chargers do a handshake to negotiate voltage and power ratings. I think the Switch will pull about 18w max when docked; not sure the actual supply voltage. C chargers aren't quite ubiquitous yet and I think going forward they will cost a bit more than the dumb 5V USB wallwart chargers which supply 5V without any negotiations.

Yeah I don't get the Mini thing or rare Amiibo. Some characters got restocks but plenty didn't. I've still never seen Smash Rosalina or Wario on a retail shelf, though I owned both and their Mario Party Doubles.

So Target around here had some stock today! But each only got about 3-4 on average.

I drove over to one after dropping the kids at school and there was a line already. I turned right back out of the parking lot. :lol:

OH you know who was in line there right? Let me give you a picture I just painted here in photoshop. :twisted:

nescescalper_zpswoaugqjr.jpg

• Like 4

Half the AMP would be why, not enough juice. The adapter is 1A.

I think quadrunner has the right idea, they still got it, just confused how to deal with it or people would no longer line up. Though it is possible that if it wasn't for this being clearly to those who would rush out first that it's a handheld and not a console it could be different. Enough got roasted on the WiiU they'd find it hard to trust a stand alone console(only) device again.

Edited by Tanooki

Dislike all companies and retailers that conspire to create these 6am sheep lines. Like Toys'R'Us did. And like Apple does annually.

Meantime nintendo is like 50-something over-the-hill guy with ED. They don't have that sparkle in their eye anymore.

They got pills for that!

Question is, should Nintendo take the blue pill shaped like a rhombus, or the orange pill shaped like a teardrop? Judging by the neon joycon colors on the Switch console, they took one of each! :rolling:

Screw them. I had made a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie in an Atari Flashback shell extending two USB ports to the controller ports. It has many emulators, not just the NES and it works wonderfully.

post-1787-0-84122900-1485002405_thumb.jpg

I actually was going to get a Mini anyway to support projects like this, but not after all of this crap.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 8

Dropped by the local EB today. I hate to be rude to the kids working there, but what a dunce. When I asked if they were expecting any new official gamepads, he tells me that, "They're limited edition and it's all sold out. Nintendo said that from day one." Well...no they didn't say that. Of course I didn't bother to correct him.

That said, the Walmart up the street said they've gotten some systems in, but literally only a couple...a big box of Nintendo stuff, with a couple systems tucked in.

I wonder when Nintendo is going to be upcoming about this, because if more are coming, then some pre-orders should come along again.

The 'official' carrying case is also quite pricey on the secondary market, and I have no idea where those things are even being sold. The TRU and Walmarts around here haven't had anything Mini-related since launch on the shelves. Saw some Switch posters though. And one of those aftermarket 3rd party Advantage controllers (that apparently doesn't work with the Mini?).

If this keeps up until March, around Switch debut, then I'm going to call it quits. I've got the system and that's the big thing, and have means to play 2 player on it via Wii pads. But I won't pay more for another controller and carrying case than I did for the system. I have to be somewhat sane about this :)

Ahh don't give up, just don't bother trying, it works out better that way anyway.

In that respect you have two outcomes. 1) You go looking for some Switch (or other) game stuff, and pop one shows up and you buy it. Or 2) it's a year later, and you finally find it but it's in a clearance/mark down area somewhere because enough people got pissed they're just dumping leftover fluff so you get it cheap with no hassle. Either way, you win. :)

• Like 2

Interestingly, a huge chunk of the ones on eBay right now are hacked, for the same price as a stock unit a few weeks back.

I wonder if this is a sign that the street value of an unharmed unit is dropping?

FWIW, I originally typed "unhacked unit" and it autocorrected to unharmed. I like that better! :-)

• Like 3

That's amusing it did that but it does make more sense. It is unharmed after all. :P

It's interesting it has been popping up more steady in tiny numbers at Target so maybe slowly the corner has been turned. Problem is though even a small more consistent supply won't help. Subhuman garbage will find out and get to the store and snap them up before an actual user as they have the free time to do so. Eventually it will correct itself still, but, it will just take longer because as they scoop up the scraps to flip more infuriated people will continue to lowball counters or just ignore them driving it down one way or the other.

A guy over on another forum of mine posted a link to some punk trying $200 on a new one with a new 3rd party Nyko pad. I found people in the area of NC where that craigslist post came from are smart, he has been refreshing the same ad without edit for a month as he said he just got it with a rollout that happened, and dating it goes back to the days before Christmas blowout of them Best Buy got. No one is willing to pay that tool that price, nor are others on another he linked up at $125 either. I'm glad the market on them are drying up among people not willing to be screwed.

• Like 1

With Christmas over, the urgency is gone. People still want it, I don't think too many have actually given up on getting a Mini... but without holiday shopping being a factor, people no longer have it in their heads that it must be in the house by December 25th. Even if you're not buying it as a gift, it's hard to get out of that holiday shopping mentality. Now, people are content to wait for the Mini to come to them, which will give the price room to drop.

I'm also guessing most of the scalpers have kept their receipts as insurance, so the resupply may be accelerated by scalpers returning their still-sealed boxes after being unable to flip them. New stock from Nintendo might be joined by old stock that lived rent-free in a scalper's house for a few weeks.

• Like 3

I see a bunch of sold listings on eBay for ~$22.00 ...from China. I wonder if these are legit?

So much dickery over this little toy, which is supposed to be easy plug&play.

Holy crap really? If this is true, I am not surprised if the copycatters somehow came across one. The entire OS has already been dumped and the USB port opened by hackers. I wonder what the build quality is like? :ahoy:

I did a search for NES Classic Mini sort by price and this turd came floating up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Classic-edition-NES-Mini-Play-Games-ON-PC-USB-Flash-Drive-MINI-NES-/112276587259

NES cloned USB controller and a flash drive containing presumably emulators and stolen ROMs. Plug into your PC and play. Should I report their asses? :facepalm:

With Christmas over, the urgency is gone. People still want it, I don't think too many have actually given up on getting a Mini... but without holiday shopping being a factor, people no longer have it in their heads that it must be in the house by December 25th. Even if you're not buying it as a gift, it's hard to get out of that holiday shopping mentality. Now, people are content to wait for the Mini to come to them, which will give the price room to drop.

I'm also guessing most of the scalpers have kept their receipts as insurance, so the resupply may be accelerated by scalpers returning their still-sealed boxes after being unable to flip them. New stock from Nintendo might be joined by old stock that lived rent-free in a scalper's house for a few weeks.

I hope so. This pretty much sums up my desire for one. I will wait until I can find one, new or secondhand does not matter, for $60 or less. If Nintendo ends up trickling these our till kingdom come, or just quietly discontinues them making them instant high-priced collectors items, then I can do without.

I've got an AVS and a PowerPak that can play everything the NES Classic Mini can and then some.