IGNORED

Old "Gemini" replica accessories?

CZroe

In the late '80s and early '90s there were "Gemini" branded joysticks, paddle controllers, ohm converters, universal AC adapters, and RF switches available all over the place. In particular, I recall seeing them at K-Mart and my landlord's neighborhood convenience store (very strange, since he didn't carry other electronics). I don't think they had anything to do with the Coleco Gemini (no Coleco branding).

Anyway, I'm wondering about the origin of these. They seem to be almost exact replicas of the originals but without Atari logos and such. I remember comparing the Gemini switch to my original Atari switch and seeing that the only difference was that it said "computer/game" instead of just "game." Even the ohm converters looked identical. The paddles had "Gemini" molded into them but were otherwise the same.

I always wondered: did Gemini buy the molds or rights from Atari? The reason 3rd party controllers for the Wii looked so terrible is because Nintendo sued Nyko for having one that looked too similar and suddenly everything had square buttons, clear light-up shells, oddly small sizes, or random Lego bricks attached. Before that Nintendo had a trademark on the D-pad and the effect on unlicensed controllers was obvious ("floating D-pads," Turbo-Touch 360, etc). It's obvious to me that you can't get away with making exact replicas of current controllers unless it's authorized by whoever owns the original design, so how did Gemini do it?

Anyone else think that the companies making replica NES controllers are going to have problems now that Nintendo will be selling Classic Controller NES replicas on November 11th?

Edited by CZroe

The Gemini branded products from the late 80's and 90's were Tandy products sold at Radio Shack locations throughout the country. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Coleco Gemini product line.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks. I knew I was missing another major place I had seen their products but, yes, I think I do recall seeing them at Radio Shack too. I always wondered how my landlord ended up carrying them in his hardware store but it's been decades and he's not around to ask. They certainly seemed to be ubiquitous, which is why I wonder if they out-right bought the tooling/molds from Atari or something. They have been known to sell that stuff off (Retro VGS ;)).

The Gemstik was a Gemini product. I have a CIB Gemstik that I took pictures of so you guys could check it out, specifically the legal/warranty/patent stuff on the back.

The only bad part about the Gemstik, is the rubber that goes over the plastic stick shaft comes loose far easier than on a standard CX-40