IGNORED

Hyperchase hack ideas

Place Logo Here

Hyperchase is awesome, but the--um--hypersensivity of the controls can be irritating and I am not crazy about stuttering animation of the other cars (which often results in a car instantaneously crossing a large gap to crash into me).

Two thoughts for potential hacks:

1: Could a spinner hack be done? The one for Pole Position is a joy to play with the Atari driving controller.

2: What about a no-car "scenic drive" hack? I am surely not the only person who plays primarily for that awesome scenery. Maybe even an "infinite" version where you can go as long as you want and the different sections (tunnel, desert, etc.) appear at random. Maybe even some new landscapes (overpasses, oceanside, city). Just some thoughts.

The more I think about this, I would like to try doing these hacks on my own. I figure reverse-engineering something would be a great intro to programming for the Vectrex. Where would I find source code for Vectrex programs? I assume those who have done hacks for the original games must have access to the source, as I cannot imagine anyone editing machine code.

You don´t need to hack the Hyperchase code, you can use a modded Atari paddle controller:

http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech/apaddle/apaddle_f.htm

There was even a controller available for that game made by George from Furry Unlimited, it was called "Overdrive Controller"

Thank you for that info. I was only aware of hacks of select games to enable driving controller support and was oblivious to the paddle hack and the overdrive controller. And, slightly off-topic, I love your video series.

All that said, even if Hyperchase doesn't need to be hacked for controller support, I would still like to reverse-engineer one of the original games so I can get a feel for programming for the system. Back to a question from my first post: how have others been making hacks for those games? If it was by modding the original assembler code, where would I find that?

• Like 1