IGNORED

Anyone here that paints original Nintendo systems?

godsey1

I am not the best person to comment here as I do not prefer painted systems.

When I used to do model cars, water decals apply easily and would work on a smooth NES. They also tend to be fragile as in they scratch easy

I have seen some good paint jobs but you need to spend most of your time on prep. Clean all surfaces good. I use about 10000 grit wet/dry sand paper and lightly sand all surfaces to promote adhesion. I then thouroughly wash and dry the parts to eliminate any sanding dust. From here on, don't touch the part as oils from you skin can destroy the paint adhesion. Now for a light coat of primer. Sanding again may be needed depending on how smooth the primer dried. Next I use an automotive grade of spray enamel. 1 light coat allowed to tack off for 10 minutes, followed by a heavier coat. The parts I an describing here are plastic car parts but the process would be the same for consoles.

Oh one thing that I used on car models. When you get a run or sag in the paint, let it dry. Spray the part with easy off oven cleaner to dissolve the paint and start over. At least this was a cool trick with testors model paint, maybe not so much with auto paint.

Thanks for the tips. I did pretty much how you said to do it, but I didn't let it dry long enough and the paint started to crack when I applied the clear coat. Luckily it was just 4 of the small parts and not the top and bottom case halves. Now I have to find the parts to replace them, The case top and bottom turned out pretty good. Thanks again,

Tony