IGNORED

Do you still use an archive program on your TI?

Omega-TI

Archive program  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use an archive program on your TI?

• YES, all the time. (Please let us know which one you use in the comments)
    • YES, but rarely.
    • NO, I never use one anymore.
    • NO, what's an archive program.
    • N/A - I don't have a TI!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The caveat, on me, is that I am just getting back into my programs on disk and haven't had time to evaluate what I am going to do. Still yet is the fact that there is so much room with the options that we have now, is it worth it? I could see a use for a on the fly compressor were you could maximize a disk or disk image on a HxC or Gotek, or to even have some more space on your SCSI, MFM, or IDE device, but for just archiving to be archiving, not so much.

On my Real Iron TI99/4A I have SCSI hard drives so a Archiver is pretty much useless.

I use Classic99 on a Emulator and with 4 TB of Hard Drive space again Zip or Archiver is again useless.

Now that you can buy a 4 TB Note book drive or SDD I think Zip and all types of Archiver programs have no value anymore.

Many programs were distributed as an archived file. Not only did this conserve disk space, it made it much simpler to upload the files to a BBS or online service, i.e., Delphi, GEnie. It also allowed user groups and individuals to distribute multiple software packages on a single disk, without wondering which files belonged to which program.

The need to archive programs has certainly diminished but not useless. As for personal use, a lot of my library - disk and hard drive folders - is archived.

Archived programs are out there for DL. That is why I use one. Pretty much like zips nowadays. When I upload a file to Atariage, I zip it. Not for space conservation, but for ease of upload, tightness of packaging, and it is a universal format.

Some of the same reasons archivers are/were used. You can put 4 files into one file, thereby simplifying the upload/download process.

• Like 1

The need to archive programs has certainly diminished but not useless.

I agree. I mostly see FIAD files in .ZIP format for downloading, or in .DSK images, since most people get their files via a PC, but rarely in ARC format anymore. It's always good to have one at arms reach though, because you never know when you'll need it.