IGNORED

Atari CX-40 vs. Competition Pro

Mister-VCS

Which Joystick do you prefer for 2600 games?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Atari CX-40 standard controller or Competition Pro?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is the only Atari joystick that's lasted me for many years while others lasted only for weeks...

joystick_wico_01.jpg

Otherwise the two choices are nostaglic, Americans loved the CX-40 from the 2600 while the Europreans love the Comp Pro on the Amigas/ST's.

Edited by MrMaddog

Is it just me, or has joystick preference been coming up a lot lately in the forums? Anyway, I cast my vote for "other." I've never been particularly fond of the CX-40 and I've never used a Competition Pro. I finally picked up my first pair of Command Control joysticks last weekend at "America's Largest Antiques and Collectibles Show" and after spending some time with them I have to say that even though they're high quality, I still prefer the Slik Stik and the TAC-2.

• Like 2

The tac 2 for movement the quickshots for firing.

Depends on the game. The rest of them can do everything good at movement and firing but not great at either.

I like having 12 different kinds of controllers to choose from.

The cx40 was pretty reliable when new.

Lasted for 3 years of intense gaming before the odd ditectional fail happened.

I also slammed it many times when losing a game. The short cords on the 40 usually took my jr. with it onto the concrete with thin green carpet over top.

The quickshots had a longer travel to them for movement. Winter and californiagames destoryed them. The auto fires were nice but the fire buttons often failed(maybe thats why they put 2, 3, or 4 button versions of them.

Playing asteroids with a trigger finger fire button sucked bigtime when the rest failed!

Is it just me, or has joystick preference been coming up a lot lately in the forums?

Now that you mention it, yes, it seems to be.

I still like CX40s the best. As far as I'm concerned it's the joystick for Atari. Never had any of the problems other people sometimes describe (namely that they break easily); been using the same set for 20 years.

• Like 3

If you are looking for valid opinions regarding CX-40 and Competition Pro, you should address this poll only to people who know both.

Almost everyone knows the CX-40, but only a rather small fraction of them have tested the the Compo Pro. So the majority of people voting for the CX-40 are most likely only half informed.

• Like 2

I will say though that I do like the old Comp Pro sticks better than the Wico's. Love the build quality of both, just a matter of all around comfort, ergonomics and precision for me. I do keep a pair of old Comp Pro's as well as a new clicky set around AND a pair of Tac 2's for my less-than-careful guests or GF (she's particularly brutal on my sticks - ha!) to beat on.

Re: other controllers, while I grew up with a Quickshot, they feel cheap to me today and do not care to use them. Neat looking, cool pistol grip design et al, but prettier to look at than to use IMO.

The Tac's are really nice, well built, are comfortable and their sticks have a decent throw - but input registers are literally hit or miss with 'em. Gotta make sure the contacts are really clean and not worn out, otherwise it doesn't always respond the way it should.

And those Epyx "ergonomic" controllers? Don't care for 'em either. Especially the wildly clicky 500XJ that really sucks for maze type games. Hardly like the CV or Intv controllers for quick action games and have never desired to trigger fire buttons that way while playing games on my Atari/Commodore systems.

Should also mention that the BEST CX-40 gold contact boards coupled with new sticks and fire buttons are extremely nice. Have a pair myself and love how you can breath new life into these old things. The tactile feel afterwards is second to none on 'em too. Not a total requirement for me as I have some new OEM CX-40's from the 80's that I *still* prefer over even the BEST upgrades, but for those looking to enhance their worn out sticks, can't do wrong going with BEST! Definitely recommend upgrading your original worn out CX-40's before purchasing any of the new Chinese rip-offs of which I've also used. Even the Flashback controllers, while nice, still no substitute for the originals.

The "CX-40" Joystick is not bad, but i vote for the "Competition Pro". The steering is more precise and the Competition is more stable. While my two original CX-40 sticks died after two years in use, i have here some "Competition Pro" Sticks, which are nearly 30 years old and still working normal. And another advantage is the easy way to repair the "Competition Pro`s" by changing the microswitch. Because in 90% of the cases, when a Competition don`t work correct anymore, it`s just a problem with the microswitch. And it`s very easy to change it. Lots of other controllers i have also here. I like some of them and i also like some of my gamepads (especially when playing puzzle-games), but my favorite is the "Competition Pro Star" model, which was available in transparent-green and transparent-blue back in the time.

Edited by AW127

AFAIK the earlier Pros had leaf switches, the newer ones use micro switches for the fire buttons too.

Exactly. And the "Competition Pro Star" model, which i mentioned before, has micro-switches for the buttons, a triangle-button with rapid-fire, another triangle-button with slowmotion-mode and below it has an autofire/slowmotion switch. And it had a spring inside the steering-grip which centers the steering at once, when the user pass over the grip.

But also the models with the leaf switches was not bad, i also have some of these. The user can bend the leafes for shorter steering-ways.

Back in time, beside the normal Competition Pro`s, also models like the "Competition Pro Extra" was available, which had a rubber that surrounds the lower part of the steering-grip (instead of a spring). This model i also like very much, cause it`s very hard to break it. Real stable joystick.

If you are looking for valid opinions regarding CX-40 and Competition Pro, you should address this poll only to people who know both.

Almost everyone knows the CX-40, but only a rather small fraction of them have tested the the Compo Pro. So the majority of people voting for the CX-40 are most likely only half informed.

Sorry, but I am not a "control-freak" - do you have an evidence about the "small fraction"?

If I address the poll to people who know both -how to lock-out the half informed people who still vote for the CX-40?

How can one identify the microswitch pro stick without opening it up? Is it possible? Thanks~!

You can feel it at once. When it is a "Comp. Pro" model without microswitches on the firebuttons, then you dont hear the familiar klick-noise when pressing the button. And when it`s a Comp. Pro model without microswitches on the steering-directions then you dont hear the klick-noise when you steer in a direction.

Here two good internet-sides which give a good overview of all Competition Pro models that was available back in time and also now (the Speedlink ones). Both are in german language, because it`s a german and an austrian side. So here they are google-translated:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.akk.org%2F%7Eflo%2Fcompetitionpro%2Fcomppro.html&edit-text=

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fscacom.bplaced.net%2FCollection%2Fcomp%2Fcomp.php

• Like 1

So the majority of people voting for the CX-40 are most likely only half informed.

I think it's safe to assume, by now, that most of us have probably encountered both controllers, and others. It's not like the Competition Pro is a rare joystick, and many of us have been doing this for a lot of years. Also note that "Other" is the #2 choice by two votes as of this post; it's not like people voted CX40 simply because they don't know any better.

There are some of us who are intimately familiar with both controllers and still prefer the CX40 for [insert reason]. :)

• Like 1

The CX 40 is great, but I find it a bit fragile. I don't see many comp pros in my neck of the woods, and that surprises me. I want to try another wico before writing them off. My ball top is very stiff and I don't find the button responsive. I think the Europeans have an advantage with the comp pro because there seem to be so many different models over there. There's an all leaf comp pro, one with micro switches for the stick and leaf for the buttons. All micro. And they seem to be built to different standards over the years, with some being flimsier than others. There are so many variants that just saying "comp pro" is a misnomer. Perhaps the tac 2 could have also had it's own category?

Edited by hizzy

Sorry, but I am not a "control-freak" - do you have an evidence about the "small fraction"?

Nope. I was assuming that the Compo Pro is not that well known in the USA. Maybe that's wrong?

If I address the poll to people who know both -how to lock-out the half informed people who still vote for the CX-40?

Probably making the questions 100% clear would help, like: I know both, but I prefer A over B; I only know A and prefer it over any other...

Or two separate polls:

1. chose your favorite joystick (from a list)

2. which joystick (from a list) are you familiar with?

If e.g. twice as many people are familiar with A than with B, than the number of votes for B in the 1st poll can be doubled.

But it will never be 100% scientific. :)