IGNORED

XE Cart rattles, only works ~1/10 tries

zetastrike

I just got an XE Battlezone cart in the mail today. At first I was disturbed because there's something loose inside the cart that rattles. I quick stuck it in my 800XL to make sure it worked and it fired right up. I didn't play it right then. A few hours later I cleaned the contacts thoroughly with 91% isopropyl alcohol like I do with any cart I buy. The contacts shined like they were new. I went to play the cart again after it dried and it took at least 10 tries before it went to anything other than a black screen. For a positive control, I threw in my old centipede cart and brand new Pac Man Arcade homebrew and both worked on the first try.

So, I'm really confused. I would think a cart with either work or not work at all. Is it toast? What could be that loose thing rattling inside? I'm upset because the game is really good and I got it for a good price.

I'm reminded of a brown DK Junior cart I had a while back that behaved the same way. Eventually it stopped working completely.

Chances are the jiggly loose bit is plastic involved in keeping the board in it's proper position.

I just checked the 8 or so XE carts I have since I know at least 1 is like that. With the noisy one I have, there's probably 1mm or a bit more freedom of movement side to side where the others for the most part have no movement.

Check yours to see if the board moves around, that is potential for problem as the slot the board goes into on the computer does have leeway to let the cart board move a bit.

rdea6. Thanks for providing that link to this Atarian. This is why I so LOVE this site. People willing to share knowledge and info about all things Atari. You R great! I have not had that problem, but to think that there is help available for certain issues makes this site awesome. Keep giving.

Yes it is a pleasure to be on here, so many wonderful people who just go that extra mile to help others, a proper community with a great sense of spirit and love of all things Atari (and others).

Truly the best of friends here...

Paul....I owe so many here a huge thank you for helping my daughter and myself...Great folks all...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Thanks, I'll give that a try this morning. Hopefully the plastic tabs aren't damaged. If they are, would I be able to put the board in the shell of a dead brown and metal cart I have?

I love it here too. It has such a nice atmosphere about it. It's not full of the usual kind of complainers, trolls, and assorted miserable jerks that you often encounter on gaming forums. No pages and pages of vitriolic arguing. Really glad I joined here.

Be very careful opening up that cart. If the plastic tabs are not already broken there is a good chance they will be after you open it up.

The rattle is most likely the hot glue come away as said before. Nothing detrimental to the cart itself besides maybe slightly misaligned

One thing I would check is the thickness of the cart pcb, some of my XE carts appear to be slightly thinner and cause trouble in my 130XE as the cart socket pins have been worn down, angling the cart one way will allow it to play and the other it dies

Be very careful opening up that cart. If the plastic tabs are not already broken there is a good chance they will be after you open it up.

The rattle is most likely the hot glue come away as said before. Nothing detrimental to the cart itself besides maybe slightly misaligned

One thing I would check is the thickness of the cart pcb, some of my XE carts appear to be slightly thinner and cause trouble in my 130XE as the cart socket pins have been worn down, angling the cart one way will allow it to play and the other it dies