IGNORED

"best" sprite on an ATARI 2600 ?

Lord-Chaos

You know , on an ATARI 800 , you may use all players and missiles for one large sprite or one multicolor sprite with added colors.

I want to know if it is possible to create a good-looking multicolor sprite an the 2600 - which is the max. size if you don´t use playfield graphics , just players and missiles.

I want to use a part of the screen for a static sprite, but this is far more difficult on the 2600 than on the 800.

Would it be possible to use a 16*16 sprite (that means 2 players with 8 pixel wide in best resolution) and use the missiles as overlay to add details ? I want to use high resolution , is it still possible to change colors each line ? (without using playfield / and with no sprite multiplexing).

It´s important that the graphics does not flicker...

Thimo

I want to know if it is possible to create a good-looking multicolor sprite an the 2600 - which is the max. size if you don´t use playfield graphics , just players and missiles.

:idea: The height is no problem, you can make the sprite as heigh as you want (and ROM space permits ;)).

16 pixel with one single color is possible, but you can't use the missiles to add color details (because they share the color with the corresponding sprite), only to increase the horizontal resolution to 18 pixel.

And with the so called 48 pixel trick, which is often used for score displays and title screens, you can get up to 48 wide single color objects. To change colors betwen lines you probably need to reduce the size down to 40 pixels.

But if you need multicolor (more than one color/line, without using PF and the Ball) your are limited to 8 (or 9) pixel.

Archived