IGNORED

The Compact Computer 40 (CC40)

I've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time! How do you envision your end-product?

I love the CC40 and am looking forward to programming it again once we have this mass storage solution finalized.

If there are folks interested in helping to debug the code and willing to put in some work to write the testing apps, I will buy some through hole boards, stuff them, and subsidize them going out to testers.

If not, I'll go directly to SMT design for the production board. 2 Hexbus connectors, uC, SD card (maybe uSD, not sure), some battery source (not sure if coin cell will work, need to check)

At this point, the hardest work is done. Now, it's "add lesser used features", "fix timing corner cases for things like the 99/8 or TI-74", etc. Much less interesting, but still necessary. Having other folks testing and sending bug reports is a great motivator to continue fixing said bugs/adding required features. If I need to go it alone, it'll slow down a bunch, as it works enough for me right now.

When production units are ready, I'll offer them through store.go4retro.com

Is that what you were asking?

Jim

Edited by brain
  • Like 2

Essentially yes :)

Happy to help in any capacity within my capabilities. What kind of apps were you looking for?

Well, everything in the spec guide on operations (delete, delete open, write protect, etc.) all need a simple app to test.

I also need to test normal file writing (from BASIC, which I assume you can do).

I notice the the author of TIIF and TIIF2 has a relative file example, written for the TI74, but I need at least the disk portion of it in cc40 format, so I can test here.

The program to read the catalog would be helpful as well.

Jim

Essentially yes :)

Happy to help in any capacity within my capabilities. What kind of apps were you looking for?

I need 1 liners (or 2-3 liners) to test the various things listed in the specification, starting on PDF page 29 and continuing. I also need to know what error is returned on the disk drive if the door is not shut, no disk, etc. Things like that.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Happy to help in testing .

I have The Ti-99/8 , CC-40, TI-74 and the TI-99/4a Hexbus adapter

Just let me know.

By the way , will you be making a schematic available after the

Product is in production ?

Thanks, Lee

Send cc40 apps my way (that's all I have to test with at present).

I will hopefully put the source and schematic on github this weekend. I need to actually draw a schematic (not much too it, 2x4 pin header, SD card, atmega168) Anyone should be able to whip one up.

I'd probably have to build one of these and connect it and a Quick Disk onto the Hexbus chain and then copy the files over, assuming the device IDs don't conflict. I'd eventually need to do this to preserve the files on those 2.8-inch Quick Disks in any event. . .so the timing on this is good.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

I put a video up:

Experience the Texas Instruments TI-99/4a: TI CC-40 Compact Computer side display

Hi, Jim:

Great video. And I can't believe how quickly you got this project working! When/if these units become available, please put me on the list to buy one.

I have a CC40...in fact, it was my "Experience the TI-99/4a" display at VCFSE that you visited back in April. I remember talking to you at the time when you came by, but I didn't put two and two together to realize that you were Brain on AtariAge until I watched this video.

Interestingly, I only included my CC40 in the display as an afterthought; I had no idea that it might inspire you to find and create this much-needed solution to CC40's storage limitation. I hope to have a much more interactive display for the CC40 at next year's VCFSE show, and your storage solution will likely be a big part of it.

Good luck with ironing out the bugs. Thanks so much for helping out us fans of this orphaned TI computer, and please keep us all posted on your progress.

MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

• Like 1

Hi, Jim:

Great video. And I can't believe how quickly you got this project working! When/if these units become available, please put me on the list to buy one.

I have a CC40...in fact, it was my "Experience the TI-99/4a" display at VCFSE that you visited back in April. I remember talking to you at the time when you came by, but I didn't put two and two together to realize that you were Brain on AtariAge until I watched this video.

Interestingly, I only included my CC40 in the display as an afterthought; I had no idea that it might inspire you to find and create this much-needed solution to CC40's storage limitation. I hope to have a much more interactive display for the CC40 at next year's VCFSE show, and your storage solution will likely be a big part of it.

Good luck with ironing out the bugs. Thanks so much for helping out us fans of this orphaned TI computer, and please keep us all posted on your progress.

MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

I should have looked online for show pics to properly credit you, but was in a hurry to post the video ("pics or it didn't happen" and all that) :-)

Glad we have connected. Yep, it's me.

And, I am so glad you dropped it on the exhibit at the last minute. Folks like myself are always looking for interesting angles like that. To be fair, the seed was probably two part. The fact it was there in the first place fo rme to see, and then your (and fellow TI'ers) comments about the peripheral problem was really the 1-2 punch that got me interested. Well, that and the fact that you all mentioned someone online was selling units on eBay for cheap prices. I picked up 2.

Lots of code to clean up, but I'm working to prep for a github push and a simple PCB design this weekend, so folks can build one

Jim

• Like 4

I need 1 liners (or 2-3 liners) to test the various things listed in the specification, starting on PDF page 29 and continuing. I also need to know what error is returned on the disk drive if the door is not shut, no disk, etc. Things like that.

Jim

Which PDF are you referring to?

I can't help with disk issues since I don't have one unfortunately.

Which PDF are you referring to?

I can't help with disk issues since I don't have one unfortunately.

A couple links have been floated in the thread, but here's one response that has links:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255728-the-compact-computer-40-cc40/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3866641

Page 29 (of the PDF) starts the commands.

So, for 00 (open), I have tested:

output sequential variable display

input sequential variable display (attributes section on page 30), but there are 32 variations.

Restore (page 37) needs to be tested, as does catalog (if someone can just type in the BASIC in the manual, that would be a great help).

JIm

I have more than enough of the HexBus chips (about 500 or so of them), so it would be safe to design a board around it. I'd say that it would be a good idea to go ahead and design a PEB board to interface to the TI, as that would be a very useful addition with your SD drive attached. This assumes you are interested in developing one, of course.

PEB card seems easy, as the DSR for the prototype hex bus interface already exists, and I think the HexBus IC is already available (link in this thread). Or, even if not, it's trivial to implement in a CPLD. You want one?

JIm

Hell yes! I'll buy the standalone interface and the PEB one.

This is really going to create a CC40 revival. 30 years late, but hey I'll take it. Glad I bought that second CC40 last year. I bet the prices are going to skyrocket once this storage solution is out there...

I have more than enough of the HexBus chips (about 500 or so of them), so it would be safe to design a board around it. I'd say that it would be a good idea to go ahead and design a PEB board to interface to the TI, as that would be a very useful addition with your SD drive attached. This assumes you are interested in developing one, of course.

I have my unit here and the PEB. Let me go see if the schematic for the prototype interface is around anywhere.

Hmmm, my google-fu is failing me. WHTECH does not seem to have a PHP 1300 tech spec, nor manual, and ti99.eu link goes nowhere.

Anyone have a copy?

Jim

Edited by brain

I'll have to do some digging, as I know Michael Becker did one when he replicated it back around 1990. I need to look at the stuff I got from @Acadiel again, as he had some of Michael's HexBus projects in the group of items I bought from him. I do have the manual for it (and I'll take a look to see if that folder has the schematic too). The functional spec for the HexBus interface is on WHT, it is just not an intuitive find.

Edited by Ksarul