IGNORED

"Nintendo issues DMCA notice against that really good Metroid II fan remake

JamesD

It really doesn't matter how talented a group is, they have no right to use someone else's characters without permission and obviously big N does not give such kind of permission.

It will be interesting to see if this Metroid and Pokemon do drop the references to characters they do not own, if the response to the game (an the game alone) would be positive or negative on its own right. Riding the popularity wave that someone else achieved is a lot easier that starting from scratch but it may work as a trampoline (albeit in a grey area) to launch new indie developers.

Their next game may be well received (assuming the same quality etc...) with mentions like "from the creator of the XYZ game taken down by Nintendo" and such to amplify a little the reach.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd never heard of gamejolt, but after looking at the list of games that were removed it seems like almost all of them have Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon in the title. I'm guessing most have graphics/music ripped from old Nintendo roms and stuffed into some amateur project. If anyone is making money from these then Nintendo has every right to take legal action...

Granted I think Gamejolt gets revenue ad streams so someones making a little money there......but still. The youtube thing bothers me more. Love what Sterling did with that.

I'd never heard of gamejolt, but after looking at the list of games that were removed it seems like almost all of them have Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon in the title. I'm guessing most have graphics/music ripped from old Nintendo roms and stuffed into some amateur project. If anyone is making money from these then Nintendo has every right to take legal action...

Gamejolt is notorious for including advertising not just on their website but advertisements in those flash games when they start up. Gamejolt offers a service whereby game makers can get a slice of the ad revenue.

Edited by empsolo

it is a little sad to see the fangame era closing. using spriterips to try and replicate your favorite game is a common place to start for people who want to learn more about game development, it's even kind of a comforting thing for me to return to when i want to try something out but not have to think too much about anything but technical details. the world has changed though and the people making these fan recreations do realize that. it's unlikely either the metroid or pokemon games mentioned earlier would have even been started in the current climate, and only due to being so long in development did they grandfather their way in. no need to get angry at nintendo on the behalf of these people, i doubt they have any such feelings themselves.

I dont see anything wrong with using sprites to learn with, its like playing chords from your favorite rock songs, but you cant release a record called LED ZEPPELIN II with what you consider better remakes of the original songs and not expect to be punched right in the dick. Why would it be any different with video games? Just because you spent a lot of time with a IP doesnt mean you own it any more than the people who actually own it

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6

They've killed over 500 fan games apparently... :sad:

http://thenextweb.com/gaming/2016/09/06/nintendo-dissapoints-500-fan-games/

EDIT: cimerians Beat ME!!! :P

Oh this is impressive, over 500 games on Gamejolt have been taken down by Nintendon't:

http://fireside.gamejolt.com/post/dmca-notices-for-fangames-bzc9h583

Here's where I come down on this...

Nintendo has every right to protect their properties. They could have handled this situation in a different way that didn't engender ill will.

Don't ask me how, I have no idea.

Edited by Inky

Maybe this is a sign (probably not) that Nintendo has some upcoming Metroid game in the works and doesn't want a fan project to compete with it?

Nintendo seems to really hate their old school fans. Or just really hate free marketing.

It has more to do with the value of their IP to the valuation of the company and the risk of anything devaluing or diluting their brand's value and the material effect on the company. They even cite it as a risk factor in their annual reports.

Nintendo has every right to protect their IP's so I understand why they took down the Metroid remake.

However, they created the situation.

Metroid 2 for the GB is a game that got missed by a lot of people, came out at a time when Metroid was not the super popular and big franchise that it is today, and is really unplayable by 2016 standards. Just like with original Metroid which got re-made as Zero Mission about ten years ago, Metroid II is BEGGING for a remake in the same vain. Nintendo for some reason is ignoring the masses (like myself) who have bothered them for years to re-make this game so a fan stepped up and did it.

Nintendo should take a lesson from this and look at how popular it was and make their own re-make. I'd buy it in a second.

I downloaded the ROM before it got yanked, but didn't know there was a 1.1 patch and now I can't find it. :?

People get too overworked with this idea of "stealing." This has already been decided long ago, it's not theft. It's up to Nintendo. They decide whether to allow it or not. In this case, they decided not to allow it. So now the makers of this game are no longer putting it out there. So there has been no problem, no one is a "thief." And Nintendo has done nothing wrong.

And also the remarks such as "no sympathy for these fan artists." What are these dudes worried about? No one stole anything. Nintendo decided not to allow it so they didn't allow it. Simple as that.

People do games like this because it's fun. And sometimes it actually flies. Nintendo has given their blessing to some of these hacks & homebrews after they are completed. They were not "rewarding thieves." More like bringing some artists on board, and choosing not to give the "ok" in other cases.

In either case, no one has done anything wrong.

Is this not obvious?

• Like 2