IGNORED

atari 2600 emulator for the atari 7800

hi,

anybody developing an atari 2600 emulator for the atari 7800? :) .

Now dont tell me someone is already doing this :| if so. where can i get all the information so that i dont have to post an new topic continuasly.

best regards,

Vyeyendra Ramnares

Actually, it doesn't depend so much on when it was released. It depends on whether it has the extra timing circuit that was added to fix 2600 Dark Chambers. Some 7800s without the extra timing circuit have problems with it.

Mitch

What would be interesting, just for the sake of doing it, would be to create a module that you could insert into the 2600 cartridge port that would give 7800 compatability with the and with added a/v out ect, much like the Sega 32x system. It may seem impracticle and would be more expensive than just buying a 7800 system :P , but since the quality of the 2600 systems tend to be better anyways a couple people might buy them in they're well made.. One problem is that you might need an extra power supply..

create a module that you could insert into the 2600 cartridge port that would give 7800 compatability

That's an interesting thought... I wonder if Atari would have developed such an item in '84 or '85? Or maybe not as as it would take away from sales of 7800 units and not be that much cheaper to manufacture. Perhaps a smarter option would have been a 2600 - 7800 trade-in program.

(As a side note to that, Atari Canada had a trade-in program for 5200 owners, and also sold some 5200 equipment up until 1988, but I was under the impression the 5200 was never sold in Canada... any explanation?)

I don't think it would have been too hard in the day (although I'm not an electonics expert) to produce such a unit.

An argument could be made either way to it's viability.

Nonetheless, an interesting idea... never considered it...

Cheers!

Joey

Nice work, Inky.

The infidels will tell you that Robot Tank does not work on the Atari 7800, but I am here to tell you now that I have personally played Robot Tank on the Atari 7800, and not just on one Atari 7800, but on every Atari 7800 system ever produced.

Do not believe the labels that state Atari 7800 systems were manufactured in Taiwan or Hong Kong. Our great leader, Saddam Hussein, personally oversaw the manufacture of the Atari 7800 video game systems at the Presidential Video Game Manufacturing Facility in Baghdad.

Saddam, in his great wisdom, personally designed the Atari 7800, and the proud and free people of the great nation of Iraq built these systems, which were sold all over the world throughout the late 1980s in quantities far exceeding those of the miserable competition, those bastards at Nintendo!

And so again I will state with 100% truthfulness that there is in fact no Atari 7800 system with which the game cartridge Robot Tank will not work, and the infidels who have made such blatantly false statements are presently hanging themselves with their joystick cords at the gates of Baghdad.

What would be interesting, just for the sake of doing it, would be to create a module that you could insert into the 2600 cartridge port that would give 7800 compatability with the and with added a/v out ect, much like the Sega 32x system. It may seem impracticle and would be more expensive than just buying a 7800 system :P , but since the quality of the 2600 systems tend to be better anyways a couple people might buy them in they're well made.. One problem is that you might need an extra power supply..

Actually, Atari planned a module in 1984 that would allow the 5200 to play

7800 AND 2600 games. Look at the 1984 catalog that shows all three systems, and you'll see what I mean.

Actually' date=' Atari planned a module in 1984 that would allow the 5200 to play

7800 AND 2600 games. Look at the 1984 catalog that shows all three systems, and you'll see what I mean.[/quote']

Now that i think about it, given the 2600's address space and memory limitations, i don't think it could handle the overhead. I'd love to be proved wrong, though. It's just that i love the build quality of my Big Sexy/Heavy Sixer above the "brittle" quality of the 7800. :)

Thanks for reminding me about the 5200 adapter,ApolloBoy. I'm not a frequent visitor to these boards or the newsgroups and my memory is not so perfect. :) I do vaguely remember having read about that 'back in the day'. Sounds pretty simple to do, just create a 7800 board sans a couple of the redundant chips and have it draw it's juice off the 5200 cart port. Basically it would be a lower cost to produce 7800. It's interesting that that was in developement in '84. hmmm.. I think the native 5200 controllers would have been a turnoff, though.

ok.

so it is already compatible eh?

wow....

thanx for the info

best regards,

vyeyeyndra ramnares

wow. youre picture is even scarier than one of an dragon. no kidding :D

next to that. i am very happy to hear this news. so once i have my atari 7800 i dont have to plug the atari 2600jr. saves me space =D

best regards,

Vyeyendra ramnares

dragonforce

Archived