IGNORED

what is the difference?

hi,

What are the difference between the atari 5200 and the atari 7800? next to it's case. and the four controller ports?

greetz,

Vyeyendra Ramnares

The 7800 plays most 2600 games without an adapter.

The 7800 is compatible with standard Atari 2600 joysticks, and it does not force you to use ergonomically insane, self-centering analog controllers.

Ben

In other words the 7800 is better. :wink:

Gameplay is about 100 times better on the 5200 than it is on the 7800, the 5200 has a much better library of games, and the joysticks are NOT bad to use.  They're just prone to breaking.

I beg to differ!

Look at the 7800 VS 5200 Robotron..

7800 Wins no contest.

I think it's like the 2600 vs. Intellivision debate. The 7800 has superior specs, but the 5200 had a better game library.

Personally, I think the controllers for BOTH systems are crap!

(FWIW, I prefer 7800... but that's because I don't own a 5200!)

How do you play Robotron with two Genesis controllers? :ponder:

I love Robotron on the 5200! I just received Robotron for the 7800 from Xot, I have yet to play it thou. I'm curious as to how you'd keep the controllers still while you played? The 5200 came packaged with a coupler, the 7800 does not. How can it be better?

I think the differences have already been pointed out, but if I had to chose one I'd go with a 5200. :P But really if you're an Atari fan you should own them all!

I own both consoles. I think any good Atarian should have one of each.

The original question was about what the differences are between the systems. I doubt he wanted arguments back and forth over which system someone thinks is "better."

The basics of it is that the 5200 was Atari's second console, and the 7800 was the third. As I own both I can say - the 7800 has superior graphics abilities - compare 5200 Dig Dug to 7800 Dig Dug, or 5200 Ms. Pac-Man to 7800 Ms. Pac-Man - but the 5200 is the only Atari console that has a good version of Pac-Man. :)

Oh, and the 5200 is a heck of a lot bigger. As are its carts.

And as was said, the 7800 is backwards compatible with the 2600. The 5200 needs an adaptor to play 2600 games - 5200s with two controller ports can use the adaptor, four ports have to have been/be modified.

I'm curious as to how you'd keep the controllers still while you played? The 5200 came packaged with a coupler' date=' the 7800 does not. How can it be better?

Try sticking some Velcro strips on the bottom of the joysticks and then, stick another pair of strips on a flat surface, like a desk.

I think the 2600 compatibility issue is moot. Most of the popular 2600

games have 5200 or 7800 compatibility and given how cheap it

is to get a 2600 why not get it? :) The only thing is that can be

agreed upon is that both systems have bad contollers. I actually think

the 7800 sticks are worse than the 5200's! The fire buttons are just

very awkwardly positioned so as to induce cramps. 5200's are slightly

better. What was it with early 80s sticks? INTV, CV, 5200 & 7800

all had very badly designed joysticks and a strange obsession to

emulate the look of a phone. Who playtested them :?

John

The 7800 joysticks are the worst controllers ever.

After a good game of Xevious or Ballblazers my hand gets all cramped up.

Even the 7800 joypads are poorly designed, but I like them better than the sticks.

My biggest problem with the 7800 is that it's the system Atari should have been making NEW games on, not STILL remaking the old 2600 titles.

The remakes on the 7800 are great but nothing to get excited about.

Charlie

ergonomically insane, self-centering analog controllers.

You mean .. 5200 controllers are ... futuristically bastardized .. non-arcade .. NON-centering analog controllers .. for games most of which are programmed to respond digitally ..

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

How do you play Robotron with two Genesis controllers?  :ponder:  

I love Robotron on the 5200!  I just received Robotron for the 7800 from Xot, I have yet to play it thou. I'm curious as to how you'd keep the controllers still while you played? The 5200 came packaged with a coupler, the 7800 does not. How can it be better?  

I think the differences have already been pointed out, but if I had to chose one I'd go with a 5200.  :P  But really if you're an Atari fan you should own them all!

Another way to play the 7800 Robotron is to use the 5200 joystick coupler and duct tape the 7800 controllers into it, of course, there are cleaner solutions like velcro.

I think the 5200 has much better arcade ports than the 7800, the games just play better. But really you should have all the Atari consoles :P

How else are you going to play Rescue on Frac. on the 5200 or Ninja Golf on the 7800?

ergonomically insane, self-centering analog controllers.

You mean .. 5200 controllers are ... futuristically bastardized .. non-arcade .. NON-centering analog controllers .. for games most of which are programmed to respond digitally ..

Yes. But don't forget "ergonomically insane."

Ben

My biggest problem with the 7800 is that it's the system Atari should have been making NEW games on, not STILL remaking the old 2600 titles.

I don't see a problem with remaking games like Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, Joust, and even Asteroids on the 7800. The only problem I saw with the system is simply not getting the support it should have, plus Nintendo's licensing system having a vampiric effect on what could be produced for systems other than the NES at the time. And of course, the Tramiels trying to also market the XE computer line as yet another game system.

I don't see a problem with remaking games like Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Centipede, Joust, and even Asteroids on the 7800. The only problem I saw with the system is simply not getting the support it should have, plus Nintendo's licensing system having a vampiric effect on what could be produced for systems other than the NES at the time. And of course, the Tramiels trying to also market the XE computer line as yet another game system.

They should have decided to go with the 7800 or the XE and stuck

with it. As much as I love my 7800 arcade ports I think the XE would

have been the wiser one to go with since the computer line had a huge

game libary, an existing user base and really already had good versions

of most of the games on the 7800.

John

Both the 7800 and 5200 versions of Robotron are cool, but if you have the joystick holder for the 5200, that version is the closest to the actual Arcade machine.

I've always wondered why the 7800 version doesn't have the cool explosions when you shoot an enemy. Instead of the cool "shatter" effect in the arcade or 5200, you simply get a few stray pixels where the dead robot was. Pretty lame.

And for what it's worth - the 5200 version sounds much better than 7800 (duh.)

Personally, I think any Atari fan should have both consoles! Why be a fanboy for only one? :)

Archived