IGNORED

Atari 2600 Power Supply flexibility...

cris_add

I have a couple of PAL Atari 2600s and am in Australia; and, there seems to be a greater lack of compatible Atari Power supplies in this region, so...

I was wondering if anyone has any information or experience on flexibility on the Atari 2600 Power Supply, output Voltage, and output current. I know the standard one is 9VDC at 500mA. I am also aware that the Atari 2600 power regulator drops this down to 5VDC. This also means you could "probably" (I am not really sure) use an input range from about 6VDC to 9VDC.

I guess my big question is.. what is the flexibility on the output current? Does this always have to be 500mA? Is there anyone who has an Atari 2600 running on any other ouput current setting?

From what I understand the US and Aus 2600 consoles have exactly the same interal power mechanism. So any experience (world wide) would be relevant.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks... Chris

The Atari draws about 300 mA. This can vary, depending on the cartridge, so 500 mA is a good minimum for current capacity in an adapter. Voltage for the 7805 should be above about 7.5 V. Anything above that voltage just generates more heat. So a 9 V, 500 mA supply should work fine. Keep in mind that the current and voltage ratings on some adapters are way out. Just try them out, making sure the polarity is correct (positive on the tip, I think).

5-11under

I've tested several power supply's ratings with my 2600 along the way and here are my observations:

The Original specs: 9v 500ma <---- This is what you should use.

now if you still insist (at your own risk) okay try this:

VOLTS:

Recommended anything between 9v and 12v (it might survive to voltage ratings as high as 16v but you don't really want to go as high for daily use)

AMPS:

500ma to 1Amp. Don't go as low as 300ma, I've had troubles running games like Asteroids. You don't really need either a PS that pumps over 1 Amp.

It doesn't hurt if you use a voltmeter to test the output of your P.S. before you plug it into your 2600.

Another point I had forgot to mention... I have measured the only original atari power supply I have (it says 9VDC and 500mA on the label). However on the multimeter it reads 13.5V and about 600mA. The multimeter is quite good and I had tested this against several other newer power supplies - so I suspect that it is a reasonably accurate reading. :!:

hehe, that's because you did test the P.S. output unloaded.

To get an accurate output reading you need to put Load on the P.S. (that means you need to plug it to your Atari and turn it on, that's called Load)

You'll notice the reading on your voltmeter will drop near the specs values 9v when the Atari is switched on. You might start thinking at this point "hey if I plug it in how can I test it" well you can, but you'll have to open your Atari and test it right from the connector leads inside.

Archived