IGNORED

need some help setting up MAME for Astrocade emulation

timdu

Now what do I do with these files?

In the MAME directory there is a directory called ROMS. If not, then create it. In the ROMS directory place the Astrocade's three different ROM files (do not unzip them):

1) astrocde.zip

2) astrocdl.zip

3) astrocdw.zip

In the ROMS directory create another directory called astrocde (yes, it's missing the 'a'). Place all of the cartridge files into this directory (do not unzip these either).

That should do it for you. Now start up MAME, select one of the three different versions of the Astrocade to emulate and start having some fun.

Note that MAME doesn't support quite a few of the cartridge ROMs referred to as BASICarts. These are BASIC programs that run from cartridge, a hardware trick that works on real hardware, but isn't emulated in MAME. However, all commercially released cartridges, such as The Incredible Wizard or Cosmic Raiders (another top-notch game!) work fine.

I hope that helps you out, Tim. If you have any other questions, then just let me know.

(BTW, thanks for starting this thread-- maybe it will get others to hop onto the Astrocade bandwagon.)

Adam

Thank you, Adam! Everything is working great. I am blown away by THE INCREDIBLE WIZARD. I am a huge fan of Wizard of Wor. One of my all time favorite overall games. THE INCREDIBLE WIZARD is my reason to become an Astrocade fan and user. I'm diving in!

Everything is working great.

I'm glad you got everything working without too much trouble. "One of these days" I'm going to write a tutorial to show people how to setup MAME for Astrocade emulation.

I am blown away by THE INCREDIBLE WIZARD. I am a huge fan of Wizard of Wor. One of my all time favorite overall games. THE INCREDIBLE WIZARD is my reason to become an Astrocade fan and user. I'm diving in!

The Incredible Wizard is great. If you get the chance to play it with two players, then you'll see that the game really shines in that mode. Since you're such a fan of Wizard of Wor, maybe you can give some feedback for the Astrocast comparing the Astrocade version of the game to the arcade version. It would be neat to hear a brand new Astrocade user's thoughts on this subject.

If you're gonna dive into the Astrocade's software library, then start with this "best of" list:

http://www.ballyalley.com/ballyalley/articles/Top_Ten_Astrocade_Games.txt

Welcome to the Astrocade community, Tim!

Adam

P.S. Tim, I can't believe I first subscribed to The 2600 Connection back in 1993 or so. Who would have thought back then that we'd still be playing the Atari VCS. Even harder to believe is that that some of the best games on the 2600 system were still not going to be released for many years. For example, who imagined back in 1993 the likes of Juno First on the 'lil 'ol woodgrain terror that is the Atari 2600?

Hi Adam

I think I could provide some feedback. I do not have access to a coin-op arcade machine of WIZARD OF WOR. However, I will try to get it going in MAME and I think that should be sufficient , pairing that experience along with my memories. When is your deadline? When are you planning on releasing the Astrocast podcast episode?

Tim

I think I could provide some feedback. I do not have access to a coin-op arcade machine of WIZARD OF WOR. However, I will try to get it going in MAME and I think that should be sufficient , pairing that experience along with my memories. When is your deadline? When are you planning on releasing the Astrocast podcast episode?

Great-- feedback from you will be wonderful. I don't think that I've ever played the Wizard of Wor coin-op in the arcade. I've only ever played WOW under MAME emulation (and it works great). Avoid, at all costs, playing Wizard of Wor on one of the PS2/Xbox game compilation discs, as the game runs about twice as fast as it should (it's a known bug).

There is no specific deadline for the feedback. Wizard of Wor will be covered in Astrocast #5, but since Chris isn't going to be a co-host anymore, I'm trying to line up someone else to co-host with me. Someone has already stepped forward, but I have to work on the details for this. Whenever your feedback comes, Tim, even if it's after we record the episode, then it will appear (even if its pushed back to episode #6). Quality feedback at a later time is preferred to rushed feedback at a time right around the corner. Take your time and have fun taking on the Wizard and his minions.

Adam

I would like you to have my findings for the podcast, if you will agree to that. So I will work on it and do some comparisons. Now I need to get the Wizard of Wor coin-op arcade ROM working in MAME.

Tim

P.S. Is Paul going to take Chris' place?

Edited by timdu

I would like to. I looked on ebay and I do not see any. Know if any sources where I could buy one?

The Astrocade controllers aren't too easy to find by themselves. You may want to join the Bally Alley Yahoo group and ask anyone if they have a spare controllers or two. I bet that someone probably does.

Adam