IGNORED

Asteroids and Pacman problem

simonsimon69

Hello all,

The 2600 I recently acquired came with amongst others Asteroids and Pacman. I seem to be getting a strange problem with both these games where in asteroids the rocks are sort of flickering and flashing as they move, and the same with the chasing ghosts in Pacman, where they are sort of flickering. It's pretty sore on the eyes and definitely not normal behaviour. I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube and the behaviour is not present. With both games all other artefacts are static and displaying as they should, it's just the moving things that seem to be flashing/flickering.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this. I'm a new returner to the Atari fold, so dont have much knowledge or experience of playing about with these things. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Just wanted to add, I do realise the ghosts in Pacman are meant to flicker, but this seems excessive. And I don't think the rocks in asteroids are meant to flicker at all, but they are really flickering a lot. So I thought there might be some connection between the two. I'm viewing on an old crt tv.

Edited by simonsimon69

Both games are flickering, YouTube videos don't reproduce this correctly.

What kind of TV are you using? Modern TV have all kind of picture "improvements" and are not prepared for the kind of video signal the Atari 2600 produces. IF you have a modern TV, try to disable a picture processing.

Hi,

It's an old crt television, so there isn't much I can adjust. I am sure the problem is either with the game or the console with that particular game. Just to add to my original post, I've just noticed the ship itself in asteroids is flashing permanently too! Its a strange one. All seems to be playing fine and everything seems to be working, just got this flashing problem. I may buy another cheap asteroids cart and see if it's the same.

Hello all,

The 2600 I recently acquired came with amongst others Asteroids and Pacman. I seem to be getting a strange problem with both these games where in asteroids the rocks are sort of flickering and flashing as they move, and the same with the chasing ghosts in Pacman, where they are sort of flickering. It's pretty sore on the eyes and definitely not normal behaviour. I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube and the behaviour is not present. With both games all other artefacts are static and displaying as they should, it's just the moving things that seem to be flashing/flickering.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this. I'm a new returner to the Atari fold, so dont have much knowledge or experience of playing about with these things. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Just wanted to add, I do realise the ghosts in Pacman are meant to flicker, but this seems excessive. And I don't think the rocks in asteroids are meant to flicker at all, but they are really flickering a lot. So I thought there might be some connection between the two. I'm viewing on an old crt tv.

This topic may be helpful....

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256412-video-mod-asteroids-strange-scanlines-effect/