IGNORED

Heatwave BBS CLOSED

Shift838

Today I transferred Heatwave's files to a physical platter using Michael's TI Image Tool. I then remembered I had some other BBS copies floating around.

The first one I located was of the S&T Software BBS I ran through 1994. Next, I located a copy of the Chicago TIUG BBS that Mike M. ran for the group, dated Dec 1997. And last but not least, an older version of Harold Mayo's The Orphanage from one of his hard drives that I salvaged after his passing in 2007. The timestamps are suspect, though best I can tell the copy is from 2000. Unfortunately, the file up/download areas for the first two BBS's were not preserved.

I don't yet know if I can (or will) put Heatwave online. But if I do, I will try to find a way to allow the user to launch the old BBSs using a process similar to the game doorway. Could be an interesting blast from the past...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heatwave BBS survived travel through the internet highway, and is online for testing through the weekend. Connect via heatwave . ddns . net port 9640. Ping the name to get the IP. Spaces intentionally added to reduce scraping; do not post the IP.

I haven't been able to work in my hardware/repair space lately, so for now the BBS is running on my well-traveled Geneve-in-a-Tower. I'll decide at a later date whether to keep things running full time, based on hardware availability and other factors.

• Like 3

Just logged in! The BBS seems faster in your Geneve tower or maybe it's just me. I did notice that it seems to display the menus in one huge buffered data. (at least from my PC it does)

The speed should be the same, although there might have been latency when connecting between TX and AZ. Now it's almost in your back yard by comparison ;)

The Geneve-based BBS assembly runs at 38.4Kbps and since all file IO is assembly based, the menus may look buffered to some systems. You can gauge the buffering by pressing a menu key during display (hotkeys). TIMXT isn't fast enough (yet) to send hotkeys while processing the incoming data, though I do have an idea or two that might increase the overall response time. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My primary Geneve system has been chugging along 24x7 for the past three weeks. I am still working on building a second, dedicated system and will continue to operate the BBS in its current configuration until that time.

There has been a strange clock chip glitch, where the clock chip mode changed from the default 24-hour mode to 12-hour (AM/PM) mode. The MDOS / Geneve OS "TIME" command does not appear to reset the mode, so I'll need to look into that in the future. Removing the battery for a few seconds was the quick, simple solution.

• Like 1

My primary Geneve system has been chugging along 24x7 for the past three weeks. I am still working on building a second, dedicated system and will continue to operate the BBS in its current configuration until that time.

There has been a strange clock chip glitch, where the clock chip mode changed from the default 24-hour mode to 12-hour (AM/PM) mode. The MDOS / Geneve OS "TIME" command does not appear to reset the mode, so I'll need to look into that in the future. Removing the battery for a few seconds was the quick, simple solution.

Hopefully the clock issue is a minor fix. We are all happy that Heatwave is back online..

• Like 1