Shift838

Use Real Iron or Emulation  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use real TI-99/4A/Geneve Hardware or Emulation

• The Real Deal
    • Emulation
    • Neither
  2. 2. If you use emulation, which emulator do you gravitate to:

3. 3. What do you use hardware or emulation for?

• Gaming
    • Applications
    • Programming
    • BBSing
    • Chatting/Checking e-mail with Stuarts Internet Browser
    • Other (reply with comments if so)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Here is a poll for using Real TI/Geneve hardware or emulation to help gauge the type of users we have.

Feel free to reply with comments after you take the poll to let everyone know of why you choose the real deal hardware or emulated hardware.

I'll start it off by stating I use both. I like the real hardware of course as the feel of the keyboard and sound of the PEB fan as well as the coffee warmer on the TI-99/4a. As well as satisfying my need to have the actual hardware to play with. For emulation I prefer to select MAME for running emulated systems as the hardware for the TI/Geneve that it can emulate is quite large.

Edited by Shift838

I use my Geneve (real hardware) and MESS (emulating a Geneve) for all TI/Geneve programming. It is nice to have files and images on the PC for backup and version control. Paul Charlton's GENASM one-pass assembler is plenty quick enough for me and I like/prefer using EDIT, FunnelWeb, etc. versus Notepad and other PC-based tools.

I definitely prefer running software on the real console, but when it comes to programming, Classic99 (luv you Tursi) for testing, and TextPad (from Helios Software Solutions) for editing is the only way to go.

Speaking of emulation, what is the best Atari 2600 style USB joystick out there??? I go through the cheap ones in under a month!

I use both, although when I need to drag out the real iron notes are taken if it differs from Classic99 in any way. (I have a bit of a backlog, I admit ;) ). It's for design and programming, though I like to try the new software that gets posted when I had a chance. I wish we had this level of easily-accessed activity back in the 90s. ;)

• Like 1

Real iron to test hardware mods. Emulation to make sure test programs work before trying them on real hardware. TextPad or NotePad++ for code writing.

Do I remember correctly, but did someone release a notepad++ plugin to recognize TI formatting for Extended Basic and/or Assembly?