IGNORED

Unimex Game Duplicator

Clock

in general, any cart copier is pal/ntsc independent. the pal/ntsc difference is in the game code on the game rom itself. so if you copy a pal game to the copycart, you will get a pal copycart. if you copy a ntsc game to the copycart, you will get a ntsc copycart.

the only thing that may be different is if the copier itself requires a power supply, which would be different between Europe and the US. but i think most ran off of a battery.

there are four game copiers that i am aware of and all are hard to find (value is what you are willing to pay for it): unimex, yoko, homevision, and vidco. i wouldn't be surprised if a half dozen more brands are eventually discovered in brazil.

i'm not too sure how easy/hard it is to find the copycart cartridges themselves. marco would probably know better.

i also guess you can only copy 4k ROMs onto a 4k cartridge, 8k ROMs onto a 8k cartridge, etc. any games with special hardware (ram-plus games by CBS? special bank switching? 32k games?) probably will not copy with these devices. not that that matters to me, it's not the game copying that would interest me, it's because it is rare and i don't have one :twisted: now that i think about it, you definitely don't want one of these, they are icky, yucky and might potentially explode if mis-handled. stay far away from it :D

i'm not too sure how easy/hard it is to find the copycart cartridges themselves.  marco would probably know better.

I had a batch of 200+ Yoko copy carts six years or so ago. Each cart can hold two games. The ugly thing about them is that you can only use them once. The copying process on the Yoko appears to be quite fragile, so copying often fails (remember the C64 tape loading process?) which is very annoying as it costs you one side of the copy cart.

The Vidco and Homevision copiers are identical. Check www.ebay.de for empty Homevision copy carts. There's quite some around after a German collector discovered an unsold stock of copiers and copy carts a couple of years ago. The Vidco copier is very rare. The good thing about these copiers is that the copy carts are re-usable.

The Unimex copier can also be found from time to time on eBay Germany. Its copy carts come in several ROM sizes. AFAIK the Unimex copy carts can also be used just once. Empy carts are quite hard to find.

Cheers,

Marco

I have a question: Can copy carts from different systems be used in different copiers? I doubt it...

Are homevision copy carts reusable?

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but VidCo and Homevision copiers are identical, though the copy carts are a label variation of each other?

ian

I have a question: Can copy carts from different systems be used in different copiers? I doubt it...

I'm not expert, but they might be -- if they're assuming a straight 4K size, and the same kind of EPROM inside, I think they'd be compatible.

Are homevision copy carts reusable?

Yes, same as the VidCo copy carts, since they're the same thing.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but VidCo and Homevision copiers are identical, though the copy carts are a label variation of each other?

Righto.

That used to be one of the cool things in my collection -- I had a Homevision Repro Cart since ~1989, before the stock turned up, so it was relatively unique for a few years.

Archived