IGNORED

is anyone making a conversion Antarctic Adventure for the Atari 8Bit

Spanner

This game I played on the MSX in the 90s and I loved it,I would love a version on the Atari 8bit,is there one or is there one been made.

Would you like it made too,post here and maybe someone will hear you.. :D

http://www.colecovisionzone.com/page/game/coleco/antarctic_adventure.html

It don't hurt to ask.. :)

post-40380-0-08690500-1473599225_thumb.jpg

post-40380-0-02659900-1473599226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

I saw it some years ago when I started posting here my ideas for converting games from other system into A8. Got some screens and watch some videos but as far as I can remember never did nothing nor show it to any coder and I also don't remember if I saw it occasionally or because, like you, someone talked about it here or anywhere.

I'll have a look on the next days and see if I can post here my idea for the game and, like you said, maybe someone may pick it up.

:)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Hi.

It was easy :grin:, the game doesn't seems hard and is really possible.

All in charmode, less c.p.u. comsumption and DLIs for changing PFs colours between the different zones:

-> The top status is an easy GR.0 using 1charset;

-> The sky/horizon in GR.12/ANTIC4 with hardware horizontal scrolling to move left & right the mountains/icebergs when there's the walkways turnings using other charset;

-> The playing area again in GR.12/ANTIC4 where:

BAK: darker;

PF0: middle gray;

PF1: white;

PF2: blue;

PF3: light gray;

I decided to use dark gray (04) instead of a pure black (00) for BAK because of the crevices doesn't have their inside 3colours too much difference netween the 2grays and dark.

And this same reason gives 'our guy' penguin then the pure black because he's only 2PMGs. So for PMGs we'll have:

-> [P0/P1]: black for the penguin and underneath him the shadow is MISSILESin 5th Player mode/PF3 light gray colour;

-> P2 and P3 for the flags, fishes and seals multiplexing them across the screen (seals have use the PMGs over the PFs pixels but it doesn't seem there is flags and fish on its scanlines);

Is simple as many PMGs frames and zooming from horizon untill they reach the bottom :)...

For the flags, and we can also invent new and other things, have green and red that would be the ones we could or not cross over (penalty for red and points for green :)). Also the fishes can have each any colour across the screen would look very nice :).

Here's the result (didn't do much, just get the original 1:1 ratio into directly conversion to 2:1):

post-6517-0-11852300-1473683653_thumb.png

At the end of each level the house wall is a simple 2colours DLIs with the country flag with PMGs and the penguin seeing from front can use all 4PMGs to have the red for the tong and a pale green for his bik:

post-6517-0-53210200-1473683891.png

I'll post this soon and also the map screen so stay tuned :arrow: ...

:thumbsup:

P.s.- And when this one done then the 2nd part is a little bit harder but the same guys PMGs multiplexer and we'll get to the 2nd on the series that is Penguin Adventure :P ...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 6

From exactly what I posted here's with only PFs and only PMGs and the two real seen screen for you to get a better idea and how simple I think it would be (following this I did also the map and end of each level, here's with the example of the U.S.A. base):

-> In-game screen:

post-6517-0-15649800-1473698264_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-10143300-1473698285_thumb.png

post-6517-0-02720200-1473698334_thumb.png

-> Map screen:

post-6517-0-60728800-1473698354_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-80009800-1473698360_thumb.png

post-6517-0-20075600-1473698376_thumb.png

-> Final of level:

post-6517-0-81641800-1473698396_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-91659200-1473698403_thumb.png

post-6517-0-38426100-1473698423_thumb.png

And I can say this one is the simpliest one I ever 'thought on' because it only needed around 6hours to all: watching videos, play, no need for too much thoughts :grin: and do the stuff on G2F :P.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5

Thanks for all this,didn't think anyone would pick it up,looking forward to it,I be happy to test it on my 800XL.. ;)

My friend had this on there MSX and was the only game they had,I couldn't stop playing it and love the music.It reminds me of him,he is dead now.

Edited by Spanner

Looking forward? Nobody's "picked it up". A few constructed concept still pictures and bit of technical talk doesn't mean the game is being converted.

Seems this game did appear on Famicom/NES though, which is 6502 and probably the best hope for an "easy" conversion. Though graphical generation is sufficiently different there that much of the code would be of little use.

That pictures are all real A8 done with G2F: http://g2f.atari8.info and what I post is my usual ideas 'How it can be done' that sometimes there are coders that catch them and hopefully will happen on this one.

:)

How did you make the pictures in Atari Graphics Studio,did you import them from a bitmap or something,trying to learn how to use it..??

Got the real size [256x192] screen and this one was simple to, using P.C. Paint program got it into 5colours.

Of course that you need to know that on A8, for example, PF2 and PF3 colour registers can't be on the same char, that you have to watch game videos and play, that the sky blue is same PF as the light gray on the ground just a DLI, that penguin is simple as 2PLAYERS but because is always in front over anything you have to use Prior1 and he must also be P0+P1 to overlap others that use PLAYERS, 2 and 3, that are the flags, fish and seals, that all that use PMGs are 8 or 16pixels wide (1 or 2PLAYERS) so there are MISSILES free to use and the best and we need is to combine them in 5th PLAYER for the penguin shadow but then because of this the PF3 colour register is/was set to the light gray and and so many other things for this and other games.

It's trial and start with something then years and many games after we get into this 'How to' like me and may also find and colaborate with coders.

You just have to start :)... and there's always people here and on other places for you to ask and upset ;) with your ideas :grin:.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the Famicom version of this. It's a fun little game. It is very much the sort of gameplay that was in the norm for a lot of A8 titles in the mid-1980s. It's almost surprising that the game didn't get an official port back then. Maybe it was just too unknown outside of Japan at the time?

• Like 1

OMG, this game, quite literally, screams flatshading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jl5nYVkv8

Forget charsets, it's not like there's 30 fps of animation there anyway - from vid it looks like they did, maybe, 10 frames (if, at all). It would cost enormous amount of RAM (more than stock 130XE has) to have fluid animation through the charsets.

And then, you're totally artistically limited, to whatever was precreated. Can't create new landscapes randomly, like you easily can when things are 3D (via simple offsets&scaling, at level load-time).

That landscape, that's on those vids, looks like it can be rendered on 6502 in roughly 60,000-80,000 cycles (e.g. 15-20 fps) at 160x96x4.

• Like 1

OMG, this game, quite literally, screams flatshading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jl5nYVkv8

Forget charsets, it's not like there's 30 fps of animation there anyway - from vid it looks like they did, maybe, 10 frames (if, at all). It would cost enormous amount of RAM (more than stock 130XE has) to have fluid animation through the charsets.

And then, you're totally artistically limited, to whatever was precreated. Can't create new landscapes randomly, like you easily can when things are 3D (via simple offsets&scaling, at level load-time).

That landscape, that's on those vids, looks like it can be rendered on 6502 in roughly 60,000-80,000 cycles (e.g. 15-20 fps) at 160x96x4.

There is hope, it seems ;)

You have the PMg for the details and the protagonist, and the fast 160x96 mode for zooming.

• Like 1

There is hope, it seems ;)

You have the PMg for the details and the protagonist, and the fast 160x96 mode for zooming.

It's just funny, as I was looking for an environment that would demonstrate flatshading very well, for a long time, and somehow this environment didn't occur to me (despite my personal deep connection to sub-zero environment):

- water looks fine, if it's single-color

- snow looks fine, if it's single-color

And we still have 2 colors to work with - most probably a shade of blue and shade of white for additional detail via dithering - the water could have some dithering applied via simple quad-pixel STA on alternate lines (for example).

I'm not sure how much detail we can do via PMG, though. What specifically do you mean ?

If we spend 2 on player and 2 on enemy, that's it. We're left with missiles, which are probably not much use here (well, maybe for particles).

The moment we invoke beam racing (for more colors, and more positions of PMG), all performance for flatshading is gone, even halting 10 scanlines is pushing it...