IGNORED

Annoying videogame speech

As far as videogame speech goes, I think the arcade game Bosconian pretty much ranks as highly annoying. I mean, the voice that's supposed to say, "Blast off", ends up sounding more like, "Lock off", as if it were a disguised obscenity. And "Alert! Alert!" ends up sounding more like "Alight! Alight!". That part can be excused, but there is really no excuse for "Blast off" to sound like "Lock off".

What do you think is the most annoying videogame speech, not counting voice-acting on CD games?

Zero Tolerance on the Genesis. They said a first person shooter couldn't be done on that system, but that's what Z. T. was. It was a big cart, though, so I'm guessing it took up 20 megs or so, and you couldn't run, all you could do was walk, it was a bit slow, but a very cool game...

...except for when you complete a big level, and you're shuffling for the exit. The stupid bitch on there says "zero enemies remaining", and then about 15 seconds later "proceed to next level", which these two messages repeat every 20 or so seconds until you get out of there. If they added a good 30 seconds worth of space in between those two messages, they would've been somewhat tolerable; instead it was annoyingly infuriating.

Also, I don't know much about guns in real life, but I DO know in order to increase your ammo supply, you don't have to buy another gun, just some clips with ammo. Every time you get walk over a gun, it says "shotgun collected", which is dumb, but not half as annoying as the messages as when you're trying to exit.

Oh, and even if the guy who started this thread didn't like the voice synthesis--hey, that was still pretty new back then--Bosnonian is still a great, classic game :)

As far as videogame speech goes, I think the arcade game Bosconian pretty much ranks as highly annoying.  I mean, the voice that's supposed to say, "Blast off", ends up sounding more like, "Lock off", as if it were a disguised obscenity.  And "Alert! Alert!" ends up sounding more like "Alight! Alight!".  That part can be excused, but there is really no excuse for "Blast off" to sound like "Lock off".

What do you think is the most annoying videogame speech, not counting voice-acting on CD games?

:lol: I always thought it was saying A LIE! A LIE! :P

Hmm.. I always wanted that Gorf robot to shut up (half the time I couldn't understand him anyway). More recent examples are.. I hate that Link in the 3D legend of Zelda's always has to say 'HAH' or 'AAYY" in that kiddy voice whenever you used your sword.. now THAT bugged me. They shoulda just kept him silent just like in the 2D Zeldas. Also the voices in SNES Starfox bugged me. And Flippy the Frog (or whatever his name is) in N64 Starfox was even worse! GAAAAAAAHHHHH

For me it's a toss-up between the redneck from B-17 Bomber on Intellivoice ("BOMBS AWAY!") or the commentary from one of those early Joe Montana Football games ("The score, is, Minne-so-ta NOTHING, Dal-las NOTHING"). The latter was so obnoxious my friend Chris and I would pull bad plays just to hear the announcer go into a fit: "Minne-so-ta is punting on first down, I CAN'T BE-LIEVE IT!"

Altered Beast on Sega Genesis is pretty bad. C'mon... they couldn't squeeze a few more bits of space into that cart? :)

I actually love speech synthesis, though the example that I gave above and a few others on this list are actually playback of low bitrate samples. Interesting in its way, but I could listen to Speak & Spell style speech all day.

Archived