IGNORED

Kids React (Poorly) to Atari 2600

Puck Monster

Last week I dug out the original Pong, Stunt Cycle and the Odyssey (the original with the overlays, not the O2) to show to my daughter (who is 10) to give her some idea how far games have come. After a few rounds of Pong, guess what she showed a genuine interest in? The Haunted House Game on the Odyssey! She had already demonstrated that she could be lured into older games via Rayman on the Jag (but has since graduated up and loves Rayman Legends on the WiiU) however it was really a moment that I meant to get a picture of (but didnt) to see her wanting to learn how to play a game on the original Odyssey.

Moral of the story - with the right approach, any system/game can hook a childs interest if presented in a reasonable context.

• Like 1

The video is a big fail for several reasons. And is little more than clickbait.

The games they chose are simply more adult oriented - Defender and Asteroids are awesome but hard games for kids to play!

For this to have been anywhere near a valid demonstration, the kids would have to have had their choice of games to pick from. I remember I did. Must have had at least 8 the first 6 months. And all their variations. The early VCS catalog!

Part of the fun of early videogaming was self-directed explorations.

I remember on the Apple II there were times we played Bandits, or Star Blazer. Other times we rigged up our own "word processor" via a series of PRINT statements. And other times it got super technical like learning DOS commands and trying to fill up a disk. On the VCS we'd do Combat championships or Breakout eliminations. Other times we'd just sit mesmerized by the graphics in Superman in only a way a kid could. Then fall asleep to Miniature Golf after hours of all that other stuff.

So you see, it wasn't any one single game. But all of it combined to make a self-directed gaming evening full of Atari ambiance and atmosphere. That's fun!

You also have to remember all that the kids in this video are already spoiled by smartphones and tablets. Poisoned by skinner box apps and "Game Programs" that appear out of thin air. To be totally realistic you'd need a batch of kids that hadn't seen electronics and videogames before, just like us back in the day.

• Like 2

I agree. I never liked Defender much when I was a kid (too difficult), and Asteroids was "just okay".

The video is a big fail for several reasons. And is little more than clickbait.

For this to have been anywhere near a valid demonstration, the kids would have to have had their choice of games to pick from. I remember I did. Must have had at least 8 the first 6 months. And all their variations. The early VCS catalog!

Part of the fun of early videogaming was self-directed explorations.

I remember on the Apple II there were times we played Bandits, or Star Blazer. Other times we rigged up our own "word processor" via a series of PRINT statements. And other times it got super technical like learning DOS commands and trying to fill up a disk. On the VCS we'd do Combat championships or Breakout eliminations. Other times we'd just sit mesmerized by the graphics in Superman in only a way a kid could. Then fall asleep to Miniature Golf after hours of all that other stuff.

So you see, it wasn't any one single game. But all of it combined to make a self-directed gaming evening full of Atari ambiance and atmosphere. That's fun!

You also have to remember all that the kids in this video are already spoiled by smartphones and tablets. Poisoned by skinner box apps and "Game Programs" that appear out of thin air. To be totally realistic you'd need a batch of kids that hadn't seen electronics and videogames before, just like us back in the day.

All excellent points. I think if they had used a study group over age 10 for the study they would have had a better reaction to Defender and Asteroids - I really liked these games as a kid but only when I got a few years older and had been playing the simpler games for a few years.

I think that's part of the longevity of the VCS, that there were so many games to match interest, age group and experience level playing Atari games.

Agree kids not being able to choose the games, view the packaging and the experiences that went along with it also were important factors.

ET was an easy target without an instruction book - not as bad as the Greatest American Hero not having the book for the suit but pretty close gameplay without it. Kids in that age group did and still love playing the original VCS Pacman though; bitd I thought it was the balm :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhEtYoCh_E

• Like 1

Also,

Aside from the outrageous sin of not being told what the controls are, and maybe as others have mentioned, ridiculous editing to keep those who asked about them on the cutting room floor...(Seriously some kids had to have asked the question) ...These little tykes were not told about the huge variety of games that actually exists for the VCS...And about all the homebrews that exist right now to keep the Atari going strong!

They were shown a system wrongfully presented as deader than Billy Bush's career...

• Like 2

My kids play VCS almost everyday , and most of the time they specifically ask for the game they want to play. I have a Vectrex and a Dreamcast with many good games right next to my VCS and they play the VCS the most. Having a harmony encore doesn't hurt I'm sure.

https://vimeo.com/188449998

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 3

I was visiting some friends this weekend and their 9 yo grandchild wanted to play Atari 2600 games on my notebook at the time. First he was into shooters and then he absolutely liked my current in development game (The Stacks). He even found a bug and made some good suggestions.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

These videos are funny, but it feels unauthentic... and coached beforehand, I mean does Mr. Jacob (not me) really know what a PIXEL is? Thats pretty impressive for 10! :o

All kids seem to have slightly different reactions, like their purposely not copying each other, and comments assisted by the director.

This is cute but not buying much of it! I think generally kids will play any game and like it, unless they don't really like video games, the I feel sorry for 70s and 80s girl, is just a staged comment, that I've seen in other "retro" reaction videos.

They have the kids play Asteroids?! These controls for a beginner...?!!! Really now,.... why not Space Invaders or Frogger.

Then E.T. without a manual.. Ha! Good Luck :)

@ E.T. girl (I dunno why people hate this so much) I don't either, and I liked it when I was a small kid too :D Who needs to solve it, just search until you turn pale. lol I never had a problem getting out of the holes... it was NOT RUNNING into them I had some major trouble with.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 1