IGNORED

Master System NEC 7805 voltage regulator, where can I pull one from.

icemanxp300

What makes it not worth fixing? Is there something horribly wrong with it? The reason I ask is that it appears as though you sacrificed one system to save another needlessly, when you could have bought the part at Radio Shack for $2.50. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you. It's just that many of these systems can be easily repaired. And someone surely wants to give them a good home.

yes it would be impossible to replace the 7805 in the system at a later date if and when someone wanted to fix it, also radio shack isnt on every street corner, if I NEEDED a 7805 right now, my choices are, rob another machine and order some online and wait, or drop everything drive 40min to the closest radio shack, pay 2.50$ for a part I buy in bulk for 27 cents, drive 40 min back then install it... seems kind of no brainier to me

I dunno about you and ice, but my "shop time" is limited to only the weekends, I rather be productive instead of driving, and get a box of goodies in sometime during the week when it doesn't matter for the next weekend

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

What makes it not worth fixing?

The time it will take to figure what is wrong and fix it lol. Genesis systems do not sell for crap for me and I never ever get a master system and it was an obvious fix. I have to give genesis systems away for $20 and they are just not worth fixing, just like ps1's. I can easily solder the voltage regulators back in if I feel like messing with it. I however wanted the master system working asap.

yes it would be impossible to replace the 7805 in the system at a later date if and when someone wanted to fix it, also radio shack isnt on every street corner, if I NEEDED a 7805 right now, my choices are, rob another machine and order some online and wait, or drop everything drive 40min to the closest radio shack, pay 2.50$ for a part I buy in bulk for 27 cents, drive 40 min back then install it... seems kind of no brainier to me

I dunno about you and ice, but my "shop time" is limited to only the weekends, I rather be productive instead of driving, and get a box of goodies in sometime during the week when it doesn't matter for the next weekend

I get the not having parts on hand. I guess I'm a little, or a lot more, patient than some. I'd just assume order parts from China off FleeBay than robbing a machine that could be fixed. However, I have done it on machines that are beyond repair. To me, it's just as much about preservation as it is getting other machines going. Which itself is preservation too. I just don't want to sacrifice a machine that is capable of being saved. It's not like there are going to be more made... I guess I'm also spoiled having four radio shacks within driving distance, not to mention a surplus electronics store. But not too long ago I live 40mins away from the nearest parts store. I was just fortunate enough to have a job that requires me to drive by it about twice a week.

And I absolutely understand what you're saying about only having time on the weekends. I rarely have the time to even do anything then. I did get a chance to draw up some schematics and layout some boards this weekend though. Even got them off to the board house.

The time it will take to figure what is wrong and fix it lol. Genesis systems do not sell for crap for me and I never ever get a master system and it was an obvious fix. I have to give genesis systems away for $20 and they are just not worth fixing, just like ps1's. I can easily solder the voltage regulators back in if I feel like messing with it. I however wanted the master system working asap.

I understand where you're coming from. Still, you might try some of the troubleshooting guides on the net to revive it if you get a chance.

robbing a machine that could be fixed.

I have done it on machines that are beyond repair.

it's just as much about preservation
I just don't want to sacrifice a machine that is capable of being saved.

Jesus feeaking christ its a 7805 voltage regulator I buy them 100 at a time for 20 cents each, but if I were in need of one right now, hell yea rob that crap, where will I ever find another 7805??????? OMG

I replace them even if there is nothing wrong with them, cause a 20+ year old component "exposed to the elements" as they are, are a timebomb for flipping out and sending nasty crap direct to parts that haven't been available in decades.

It's not like there are going to be more made...

I get that for a machine but a voltage regulator? ST alone, makes 29 million of them every month, and there's about 30 other makers of it, relax, its not like he drilled a hole though the unique VDU on a genesis, pissed on it and set the lot on fire!

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

LOL people I was just wanting to see if the regulator was the only problem. I have about 10 genesis systems 3 that do not work. This was a master system I had got like 5 years ago and mind you I have only ever come across about 4-5 in my life in the wild. I get genesis systems on a weekly basis.

I recently started putting my attention to fixing systems and yes I will likely get back to that genesis but they are a very low priority of mine. It will take me a whole 2 minutes 2 solder 2 voltage regulators back in once I order some. Yes I said 2 LOL because I robbed the 2nd one today to fix a 2nd master system LMAO.

Funny thing was I asked the local gamestore if he had a spare shell for a master system as mine is cracked pretty bad. We get along good and he said he had one for me. I went in and he gave me a whole system that did not work. I came home today and it had power to the ac plug, start switch, and going into the voltage regulator, but none coming out of the voltage regulator.

There it was sitting right in front of me still apart and just looking at me telling me do it! So I did I robbed the 2nd VR from that genesis to fix this master system.

So now I have sacrificed 1 to save 2 :) that should make it all better now.

Jesus feeaking christ its a 7805 voltage regulator I buy them 100 at a time for 20 cents each, but if I were in need of one right now, hell yea rob that crap, where will I ever find another 7805??????? OMG

I replace them even if there is nothing wrong with them, cause a 20+ year old component "exposed to the elements" as they are, are a timebomb for flipping out and sending nasty crap direct to parts that haven't been available in decades.

I get that for a machine but a voltage regulator? ST alone, makes 29 million of them every month, and there's about 30 other makers of it, relax, its not like he drilled a hole though the unique VDU on a genesis, pissed on it and set the lot on fire!

Done with your rant now?

I wasn't talking about whether 78XXs are made any more. There absolutely are. I was referring to the machines themselves, and trying to preserve the integrity of them. It's his machine, he can do with it whatever he wants. I'm just pointing out my preference to buy new parts to repair machines when they are readily available.

Done with your rant now?

I wasn't talking about whether 78XXs are made any more. There absolutely are. I was referring to the machines themselves, and trying to preserve the integrity of them. It's his machine, he can do with it whatever he wants. I'm just pointing out my preference to buy new parts to repair machines when they are readily available.

Guess you would hate the fact that I use a couple of "So troublesome they aren't working fixing" colecovision main boards and a 4 port 5200 main board as parts donors for my other systems and mods?

As was stated, with the exception of some of the ICs on these old consoles which are no longer made, the passive components like resistors, regulators, caps...etc are still available new from untold numbers of sources. We are in this hobby to play and keep them running. So yeah, especially in my case that means the needs of the many out way the needs of the few or one.

I was referring to the machines themselves, and trying to preserve the integrity of them.

This is absolute nonsense, removing a voltage regulator in a console does nothing to hurt the integrity of them, especially in game consoles they are a consumable due to the often high current draw and piss poor thermal management, with no protection from your wall but a crappy transformer and a couple diodes

In that regard do you think it hurts the integrity of your car to change the tires?

• Like 1