IGNORED

SoulStar, interest and pricing poll.

neo_rg

SoulStar. Interest & pricing poll.  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, steve-vx said:

I thought so, but wasn´t somebody going to release it? I recall that someone posted that it was finished and even in a gold master state?

I think they are trying to do it on the up and up, and that required working with Square Enix before, which was not very doable. Now the game is owned by the Embracer Group who are much more interested in preservation, so I am hopeful.

Unfortunately, Embracer did not acquire SoulStar. If whomever has the finished build of this wants to release it officially, I know the right people to talk to at Square Enix Europe, and I also have an existing relationship with Atari. Judging by the game's title screen, it may be necessary to get sign-off from both (it says "Licensed to Atari Corp", indicating Atari may own the software rights).

If whoever is working on SoulStar for Jaguar wants to get in touch, I am on Twitter with my DMs open (@LimitedRunJosh) - it would be neat to try and facilitate making this an official release!

• Like 9

LR just released American Hero for various platforms. I ordered it. So LR Games would be a great partner. I ordered my copy for the PS4. Of course I would order a second copy if it came out for the Jag. But yes, I am a fan of LRG and their efforts and would appreciate if they could be involved.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

re:

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

I have to chime in with the added fact that there have been some pretty disappointing and demoralising posts recently, from people making zero-effort releases, to others distributing things via known scene pirates, to just yanking other people's code or assets and using it uncredited, to the whole thing where people just accept that and go with it and support these efforts anyway.

JagCDs are super easy to copy. Knowning that the instant we release this there would be repos all over ebay and etsy and elsewhere and that people would gladly pay for such a repo doesn't really make myself or anyone else involved want to put the effort into making this happen any longer.  Maybe things will change, but that is where its at.

Just move on.  It's working, its (mostly) bug free now, and occasionally someone will bring it to a show for people to see is probably the best anyone can hope for. Or play it on the SEGA. Or get one of the warez-monkeys to fix it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Even though piracy is a problem there are still ways to ensure that a release is worthwhile for the developers. I would personally always support such releases financially by buying / preordering the game or even pay more to help funding it. Not releasing it because of unauthorized copying is a bit like staying home because of dangers lurking in the streets. Even though I own a Jag CD I still buy physical releases for the sake of supporting the retro gaming community and because physical games are just a wonderful thing to have. I know people who copy every game just to store it and never play it. Are these the people who we want to care about?

• Like 1

Only one component, the diminishing motivation due to the other issues is another. 

btw: for statistics: 100% of anything I've released as .abs or a CD image has been pirated, even the free stuff.  And there are recent posts on this very forum from people who are supporting one of the people responsible for this by purchasing from them.

• Sad 1

I am seeing your point. But what else can loyal fans do then to provide financial support. Maybe you can think of creative ways what people can do else. You know (I guess you remember) that I personally made huge efforts to bring back the iconic OIDS. It costs me more than $1000 to set up all the old hardware and retrieve the data tapes (!) the source codes and graphics etc. were stored on. Not to talk about the dozends of hours and months to gain all the necessary information. It also revealed loads of files of Dungeon Master (Carl now has all the stuff, I hope he will do something with it). I´d rather look at the support of loyalists then to think about thieves who have no appreciation for what they are doing. After all efforts like this, whether any of your original games or conversions to the Jag, are additions to video gaming history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just a thought - prety much everything eventually ends up on the "free" market - if there was some way set a minimum order amount which if hit then the game would be released(ie, prepay orders for 500).  This could ensure the hard work is rewarded before the "Etsy" crowd gets to it.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 4:57 AM, guSTaw said:

What's the chance it will the released?

The chance of SoulStar being released is about as likely as Hotdog for the Lynx or Toki for the 7800 (all of which had teased intentions to release by the party who has the ROM).  ROM hoarders like to tease that they have the ROM's and say that they are going to release the game in some manner but more often than not they don't and then go into radio silence when people ask them for an update on their stated intentions to release the games.  That being said SoulStar was never promised a release by the OP but still it is a tease that they have it and aren't sharing.  I hope that maybe the Jaguar Game Drive would help with removing release barriers as the ROM'S can be loaded on those si there is no need to do a physical production run that might financially burden the parties that have the ROM's in questions and it is also my understanding that it is possible to hard tie the ROM'S to specific devices to limit unauthorized shareing.  I find it very greedy to hold ROM'S that they most likely don't legally own in the first place instead of letting them be released and preserved for all to enjoy.

I am not suggesting that piracy should be given a free pass as people do spend a lot of time and effort on on keeping these old classics alive.  All I am trying to say is a person should not don't tease that they have the ROM's or not release them after promising to do so as that is just toxic behavior and disrespectful to all others who would like to enjoy and celebrate those lost but recovered games that we all want to be able to experience for ourselves.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, neo_rg said:

You can download copies of SoulStar from various places. 

Yes, SoulStar for the Jaguar can be downloaded and I did say that that was different from Hotdog on the Lynx or Toki for the 7800 which were teaesed as going to get releases by the ROM holders but then never made good on those stated intentions.  Just for the record before someone accuses me of being an pirate enabler I have never shared any ROM or something given to me in confidence that I don't have permission to use for other than myself as I do have a standard of ethics and respect for the owners of the content in questions.

Edited by Tidus79001

5 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I like the "hit a certain pre-order number" before release idea.

Something like this; people are going to want the official release for sure.  If it happens; day one purchase from me and many others I think! 

That works as well as a path forward and I am happy to give my money to the people who do make it possible to enjoy these classic lost games.  I very much want to support those who are feeding the retro gaming scene with content and preserving as well a sthe history.  I have many times suppoted such projects and will continue to do so as people should be rewarded and get recognition for their efforts and contributions.  Also as for piracy I have actively fought it and there was a incident where someone was posting information on how to take an original ROM from a closed platform and I worked with the platform holders to get this information taken down and how to help secure the content.  I will always be an ally to the those who are keeping these reto gaming consoles alive.