IGNORED

Eprom expectations

Sinphaltimus

I'm still waiting for the chip eraser. Should arrive today I think. I thought I'd at least get my feet wet and install the thing to see if I can view what's on an existing chip.

Use english help chm file, check

Install software and driver, check.

Plug in device and confirm installation, check.

Run program, check.
Update device firmware, check.

Get ready to insert chip. first select type of chip from drop down menu....

***SCREECHING HALT*******

Lost. How would I know? How could I know without asking?

post-47352-0-15129800-1478515925_thumb.png

I decide to look further into the help file...

Uh Oh. Wuh? I am completely lost and out of my element here.

post-47352-0-95571900-1478516171_thumb.png

Help.

Also, how could I know if these chips I ordered are good for anything TI related? Currently have 3 of these, only need one assuming all goes well, and it's for a non TI related board (Amiga SCSI controller).

Yeah, Utterly lost here.

yes, firmware update of your device (USB MiniPro) is important.

for programming, check the voltage printed on the chip, and and/or google it to get sure.

Choose your Eprom-chip in the software thouroughly, open your BIN-file, and UNcheck this "Chip-ID"-feature.

check/set the voltages.

Maybe look around in the other options, but I think these are the essentials. And then bern, baby bern ♫ :)

And if it goes wrong, you can UV-delete the Eprom-Chip (30 min. + ) and just try again.

Hint: If you open your BIN, you can see the Hexcodes of the source code. Just flip through it, maybe search some readable "tags".

After burning, you can restart the software (or clear the cache) and re-read your freshly burned Eprom-Chip (and save as BIN)

Then again flip through the (readed) Hexcode on the screen, search your "tags". You can feel it ;) Not for each bit, but in general.

And please remember, there are many many China-Eproms on the run, which do not work correct.

They are going around and around via the markets :)

Edit: for burning down the TMS2532 you´ll need an adapter (on the USB MiniPro)

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 1

***SCREECHING HALT*******

Lost. How would I know? How could I know without asking?

Click on “Select Device” (not the pull-down arrow) and start typing the name of the EPROM. If it is supported, it will appear in the list. In this case, it is the first selection, “AM27C256 @DIP28”:

post-29677-0-86873400-1478522514_thumb.png

...lee

• Like 2

Click on Select Device (not the pull-down arrow) and start typing the name of the EPROM. If it is supported, it will appear in the list. In this case, it is the first selection, AM27C256 @DIP28:

minipro.png

...lee

Thank you much. I would never have guessed on my own. Now I get to look at the clock every second I get until my work day is done so I can go home to start playing.

:)

• Like 1

Click on “Select Device” (not the pull-down arrow) and start typing the name of the EPROM. If it is supported, it will appear in the list. In this case, it is the first selection, “AM27C256 @DIP28”:

attachicon.gifminipro.png

...lee

I did not delete this question because I want to know if my assumption is correct.

How did you know @DIP28 and not 32?

When I first typed that question I wondered about the significance of 28 and 32 and how you would have known. I looked at the chip. 28 and 32 are even numbers, there is an even number of pins. I wonder, yep - there are 28 pins. I don't know what DIP stands for, but I know DIP Switches a little so I thought maybe DIP is indeed the number of pins.

Am I correct? DIP = number of pins?

Oh and SCREECHING halt again..

"Note 1: When burning a 16-KB image into a 27256, make sure you burn the image both into the lower half of the EPROM (at offset 0) and into the upper half (at offset 0x4000)."

Wuh?

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I copied all code that was not FF and then pasted it at 004000.

Is this the correct thing to do?

"Note 1: When burning a 16-KB image into a 27256, make sure you burn the image both into the lower half of the EPROM (at offset 0) and into the upper half (at offset 0x4000)."

post-47352-0-63063400-1478554600_thumb.png

EDIT:

I went for it and I think I just programmed my first eprom ever!

After "reading" the chip, I can confirm the program looks exactly like it did when I set it up (copy/Paste) . I hope this fixed my issue. Gonna go find out. Wish me luck!

This is so cool.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I DUDDITS!

WHOOT! YEAH! Woo Hoo!

SHAWING!

So the whole eprom things was a shot in the dak based on 2 posts I found in regards to GVP SCSI controller issues.

With the help of Arcade Shopper I was able to locate the correct chip model but it was the wrong chip (even though the model number matched) and with continued help from AS, I found and ordered the correct chip (yes they fail the ID check :( - But they work!).

And of course with Stuart's help here, I was able to program the chip.

I just removed the old rom chip from the SCSI controller and inserted my eprom - My Amiga SCSI controller is now working again! WOW. SOOO Happy!

:)

Hopefully I won't ruin it when I attempt to replace the simm sockets and fix the ram expansion issue (by running new traces).

So cool, so awesomely cool - Thanks for the help everyone. I'm terrible excited to find new things to do with this programmer.

Are these chips good for anything TI related?

AM27C256 @DIP28

• Like 1

This is all very exciting. I really wasn't convinced my I toasted my PROM chip by accidentally plugging in the SCSI cable backwards. But apparently, I did. So happy it works now. Forgot my entire system was already setup.

I'm not entirely sure what the different colored boards are for although it was discussed in another topic (I could just search). But I think the red board was the most versatile for my particular needs desires. I have no clue how I can take an extended basic program and get it to work on a red board. I imagine it needs to be an EA5 file and I'm fine up to that point. But taking it from there in to hex or binary for the eprom chip, not there yet.

I'm sure I'll come back to this topic and post all my questions before I actually purchase a board or two. When I'm ready to learn that part.

This is all very exciting. I really wasn't convinced my I toasted my PROM chip by accidentally plugging in the SCSI cable backwards. But apparently, I did. So happy it works now. Forgot my entire system was already setup.

I'm not entirely sure what the different colored boards are for although it was discussed in another topic (I could just search). But I think the red board was the most versatile for my particular needs desires. I have no clue how I can take an extended basic program and get it to work on a red board. I imagine it needs to be an EA5 file and I'm fine up to that point. But taking it from there in to hex or binary for the eprom chip, not there yet.

I'm sure I'll come back to this topic and post all my questions before I actually purchase a board or two. When I'm ready to learn that part.

Or this topic http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243766-bin-repository-images-for-burning-cartridges/

which has all the boards nicely labeled with their capabilities and compatible roms

Greg

• Like 1

Or this topic http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243766-bin-repository-images-for-burning-cartridges/

which has all the boards nicely labeled with their capabilities and compatible roms

Greg

Thanks for that, I like that it lists chip numbers with each board. That's great info.

Now to make things interesting.

I have a jar that I used to drop chips in until it got full. This was back in the late 90s early 2ks.

In an effort to identify them, I scanned a bunch (not all) of them in.

So one by one I will check any eeproms with the little round windows.

Notice any other interesting chips I might want to pull from the pot vase so to speak?

And yes, Holy Mollies, I noticed all the 27c256 chips in there. Geeze, I didn't have to order any that's for sure.

And mine are probably genuine.

post-47352-0-06380300-1478604965_thumb.png post-47352-0-27477900-1478604476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but your ZOMBI43C99-8.bin file should work with a red board and a AM27C256 chip as it is.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but your ZOMBI43C99-8.bin file should work with a red board and a AM27C256 chip as it is.

You mean the 8.bin file gets loaded directly in to the programmer? And that's it? Do I have to copy paste code to do upper and lower?

This just gets better and better.

You mean the 8.bin file gets loaded directly in to the programmer? And that's it?

Yup. Well, you do have to write it to the EPROM with the “Programming chip” button on the menu bar of the MiniPRO utility.

Do I have to copy paste code to do upper and lower?

Nope. Your BIN file was produced from Fred's program as a 32KiB, non-inverted file that will exactly fill the AM27C256 EPROM when loaded at location >0000 in the EPROM. BTW, the ‘256’ in ‘AM27C256’ represents the capacity of the EPROM in kilobits, which, of course, becomes 32KiB when divided by 8 and multiplied by 1024.

...lee

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't make up my mind. I think I'm going to be ready for a board is a couple of weeks.

I don't want to replicate fr99 functionality.

I can get my xb programs to fr99 so I don't need a board to do that

I'd like a board that would slow me to check out games and programs that are otherwise inaccessible

So I think I want an ubergrom board.

Or a board that supports rom and grom?

I don't know. I'd like to install a Ziff socket on it and use it to test all sorts of programs.

The UberGROM would be the currently available board that lets you play with ROM/GROM cartridges of all types. It uses a 512K PLCC32 Flash chip on the ROM side and an ATMEL ATMEGA1284P on the GROM side. Spacing it pretty tight on those boards, so it might be a stretch to get a ZIF onto the 40-pin Atmel (but there ARE a set of ISP headers on the board, so you don't really need one). I have seen someone put a flap-style ZIF onto the PLCC socket space (I think they may have needed to use a set of pogo pins to do it, but it works perfectly).

• Like 3