IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

@osgeld I wish to refute a point, the Wii indeed sold better than the N64. It was a success. I'm a fanboy and need my safe space. :D

Yes the wii sold better than the N64, the staying power of those sales is up for debate, as lots of grandparents and other casual's bough the system, a couple sports games and nothing ever again, that's a different discussion though

by the time I bought my WII it took more research than a masters thesis to find games that just didnt rape your wallet

my point was 3rd party major ass games have gone down drastically since the N64 leaving the N in its own echosphere of 1 time casual sales and only first party games (with the gamecube being the slight exception, that had good support, but not nearly as good as the MS and Sony offerings)

Are the codes even still good? :P

well I dunno, I activated it, its in my steam library and the case/disk are up in the attic somewhere

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Dramatic much?

This is a very one-sided analysis. I feel that if you try to see it from their point of view, it's not all about stingy fanboys who want to wring the most "content" of a game for the least amount of money. The "not as rabid fanboy base" is obviously not the target audience.

Developers can and should charge what the market will bear. A $20 add-on pack doesn't seem like a big deal, if it enhances a popular game. Presumably it's deep and complex, not horse armor.

Sometimes they "hold content back" for DLC, sure ... but it doesn't have to be that way. Nintendo has gone the other way, selling games a la carte. They have the potential to only ask people to pay for the content they'll use. Free to play or episodic gaming isn't a bad thing, if giving away a taste for free can bring more people to the table.

No a realist. I actually do think of both sides when I wrote that as I still hear enough of it from my brother game game producer. I just don't agree with it and distanced myself from a great deal of it. I'd love to see a lot of these die by the sword type companies to crater as a lesson to the rest. Clearly they can charge whatever the market will bare, and they do. $20 isn't a big deal depending how it it handled. Nintendo hasn't just done a la carte, look at Mario Golf on 3DS. They held back one of the courses and a few of the characters grayed out on the players menu so you can pay them $15 to get it all making a $30 game ultimately $45 ($5 over what 3DS retail games release for.) That to me started the ball in motion for them to do that again in the future. Zelda they may do it, or they may handle it more honorably like Witcher 3 did too. Or it could end up like some EA mess where you walk around, and then random characters try and sell something or ask you to do something, and the game prompts you to buy the DLC package or forget it.

As it stands now I've made my choices on modern gaming. I'm going with the PC and the Switch. Switch will get what the PC (which PS4 more or less gets too) won't as Nintendo doesn't share their toys with anyone. Nintendo also is famous for never dropping a game price unless it outright bombs for years, so no worries a $30-60 game will be 25-50% off in a few months. It's a safer bet all around.

I always just presumed that the Wii U contained an additional Wii, the Wii contained a GameCube, same with portables.

Wii is a subset of Wii-U. Game Cube is a subset of Wii. In backwards compatibility mode, certain portions of the CPU/GPU/RAM/Bus are shut off and the master clock reduced. That's why it is possible to run Game Cube software on Wii and even Wii-U. It is the same with GBA/DS/3DS where each console was a subset of the latter. Nintendo even ran GBA software natively on the 3DS wth the Ambassador games.

GB/C backwards compatibility with GBA was different as the GBA had separate CPUs and voltage rails for each system.

NES = 6502 derivative.

SNES = 65C816 derivative (16-bit version of the 6502)

N64 = MIPS

Game Cube / Wii / Wii-U = PowerPC

GB / GBC = Z80

GBA / DS / DSi / 3DS / N3DS = ARM

Switch = ARM Tegra X1 derivative

As it stands now I've made my choices on modern gaming. I'm going with the PC and the Switch. Switch will get what the PC (which PS4 more or less gets too) won't as Nintendo doesn't share their toys with anyone. Nintendo also is famous for never dropping a game price unless it outright bombs for years, so no worries a $30-60 game will be 25-50% off in a few months. It's a safer bet all around.

Only the 1st party titles stay high forever. 3rd party games on Nintendo hardware can and do drop after they don't sell well at $50-$60 bucks.

Also don't forget "Million Seller", "Player's Choice", and "Selects" editions of games for reduced price, generally released late in the system's run.

Yawn osgeld, boring you are. A piece of advice, bitching at me on how I post never will get you somewhere, especially if you're just doing it to be negative or troll. If that's all you care to do, and you can't stand how I write, feel free to use the ignore feature as I don't intend to change how i feel about the modern gaming world or how I write things to make you or anyone else happy.

Kosmic - Clearly that's what I was getting at when I said "Nintendo also is famous" I was referring to them. Until and if they decide to do a Players Choice/Select line of games they don't cut prices except when a game bombs kind of like when Elite Beat Agents went from like $30 down to $10-20 in very short order. I know third party games are a whole other matter.

Wii is a subset of Wii-U. Game Cube is a subset of Wii. In backwards compatibility mode, certain portions of the CPU/GPU/RAM/Bus are shut off and the master clock reduced. That's why it is possible to run Game Cube software on Wii and even Wii-U. It is the same with GBA/DS/3DS where each console was a subset of the latter. Nintendo even ran GBA software natively on the 3DS wth the Ambassador games.

GB/C backwards compatibility with GBA was different as the GBA had separate CPUs and voltage rails for each system.

NES = 6502 derivative.

SNES = 65C816 derivative (16-bit version of the 6502)

N64 = MIPS

Game Cube / Wii / Wii-U = PowerPC

GB / GBC = Z80

GBA / DS / DSi / 3DS / N3DS = ARM

Switch = ARM Tegra X1 derivative

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have little understanding of tech. When you say subset, does that mean that the system limits its own power to achieve emulation? Edited by toptenmaterial

Each system was built off the core chips/memory of the one before it.

The GBA for instance was a 32BIT ARM7 processor. When they moved up to the DS line they used that processor as a secondary to I believe a primary ARM11 processor and went with a larger amount of compatible system memory. And yet again when 3DS arrived it used an even more powerful ARM processor with compatible programming instructions. Because of them doing that, all based on the 'subset' of processors that started with the GBA all the systems can run the same general stuff as they designed it to be able to do so.

Gamecube's IBM CPU and ATI GPU was retooled and beefed up twice as well once with the Wii and yet again on the WiiU with more advanced versions that still can run the same general code.

• Like 1

Gamecube's IBM CPU and ATI GPU was retooled and beefed up twice as well once with the Wii and yet again on the WiiU with more advanced versions that still can run the same general code.

Yes, but since the PowerPC architecture is long dead and difficult to develop for, Nintendo had to make the "Switch..." Get it? :grin:

• Like 2

That being said, given the performance of the last 2 nintendo systems, I honestly do not expect them to capture the causal market, nor the AAA market with this thing ... so whats left, the Nintendo market, which has drastically shrank every generation since the 64. Psyconauts didnt sell the xbox... N needs to keep up

But as their home console market has been shrinking their handheld market has more than been making up the difference. Every single handheld line they have sold have outsold every single home console they have released except for the Wii. And that is only if you consider the DS line separate from the 3DS line and the Game Boy/Game Boy Color line separate from the Game Boy Advance line. But even viewed as separate lines the DS outsold the Wii by about as much as the PS4 has sold(52.39 million more DS units were sold than the Wii). So, since the Switch is including this making up the difference to their home console market by it being added to it in the form of a handheld that can be docked to be like a home console then just looking at the trend of their home console market shrinking isn't looking at the whole picture because the trend of their handheld market has to be considered too. In other words, currently with just this generation the Nintendo market has bought 78.86 million units of Nintendo hardware(the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U) which is a bigger install base than the PS4 has. So, even if Nintendo does so poorly that they only get half of the Nintendo market and none of the rest of the market at all then that would still be near 40 million Switches sold which is pretty good for doing half bad. However, I doubt that the Switch would only appeal to the Nintendo market. For an example, I can see it appealing to Sony's handheld market that done well with the PSP but Sony has done horrible with the PS Vita. So, Sony created a void that Nintendo could fill with the Switch. They even share similar marketing styles like young adults playing on planes:

• Like 2

Only the 1st party titles stay high forever. 3rd party games on Nintendo hardware can and do drop after they don't sell well at $50-$60 bucks.

Also don't forget "Million Seller", "Player's Choice", and "Selects" editions of games for reduced price, generally released late in the system's run.

They've also done things that artificially limit distribution of some games, often via promotional offers. I remember Zelda Wind Walker originally came with a special preorder version of Zelda Ocarina of Time that included the harder Master Quest. This disc was rare and hard to find for a while, as was the Collectors Edition which contained other Zelda games. I know some people love their discs and packages, but I'd much rather buy extra stuff like that straight up digitally so they never run out. At least until the servers are taken down or my original hardware breaks, yada yada yada.
  • Like 1

Nintendo still pulls that even when it's digital.

Donkey Kong: Original Edition and Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition both leap to mind and there have been others. Very limited distribution, restrictions on how you can acquire them, bundling them with the purchase of other products, etc.

I keep hoping to see Zelda, which was a freebie that was briefly available to download twice (Once on the DSi shop, the next time on the 3DS eShop), be made available again so I can grab it now that I own the hardware. But I think Nintendo has forgotten all about this one.

But the point is that it should've never been withdrawn in the first place.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Footage of Nintendo Switch system menus leaks out to the wild
6 out of 32GB taken up by OS, fully analog brightness controls, and more.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/leaked-video-shows-first-glimpse-of-nintendo-switch-system-software

And that is why 32gb is an unacceptably low amount of onboard storage in 2017.

• Like 1

Donkey Kong: Original Edition and Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition both leap to mind and there have been others. Very limited distribution, restrictions on how you can acquire them, bundling them with the purchase of other products, etc.

I got DK: Original Edition (aka Pie Foundry) on NES cartridge so I'm happy.

I had an opportunity to get DK:OE from the 3DS eShop once, but I would have had to pay $39.99 for digital download of one of a selection of titles. IIRC, the only one that interested me was Sticker Star which I'd already bought at retail, and the Club Nintendo registration codes did not unlock the download. Nintendo was offering the promotion for digital purchases only.

It's also why I bailed on signing up for the new Rewards program, which did not offer any incentive for registering physical copies of games. Rewards points are exclusively handed out to digital downloaders. Bleck! :razz:

Anyway my NNID has been registered on Wii-U since day one and on 3DS since they enabled NNID registration. So if I register my Switch under the same NNID, any cross buy promotions for VC titles purchased on Wii-U or 3DS had better be covered. Unless they expect me to triple-dip. :ponder:

Footage of Nintendo Switch system menus leaks out to the wild
6 out of 32GB taken up by OS, fully analog brightness controls, and more.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/leaked-video-shows-first-glimpse-of-nintendo-switch-system-software

Surprised Nintendo didn't pull this one down yet... :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MijBVTf85Pc

How so? That's par for the course for 32GB Android, iOS, and Windows devices. There is MicroSD card support if you need it, and a lower purchase price for the hardware if you don't.

Because memory is crazy cheap right now and their competitors has several more times storage. You could easily fill that whole thing up with one single game.

Because memory is crazy cheap right now and their competitors has several more times storage. You could easily fill that whole thing up with one single game.

It may not need full game installs like the other ssystems do. Still, with patches and DLC, that isn't much room by default. Would 64 gig really have been that much more?