IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

8 minutes ago, emkay said:

For now (next step) I'll try to get the "Welcome to Battle Squadron" speech simulation. 

Oh man that part was so weird, I didn't know how to simulate it, so I threw in some modulation notes at random volumes to get approximately what it sounded like.
I couldn't even understand what the speech was saying, so now "Welcome to Battle Squadron" makes a lot more sense in the context, hahaha

20 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

Oh man that part was so weird, I didn't know how to simulate it, so I threw in some modulation notes at random volumes to get approximately what it sounded like.
I couldn't even understand what the speech was saying, so now "Welcome to Battle Squadron" makes a lot more sense in the context, hahaha

Back then on my Amiga 2000 ist was a breathtaking experience. The tune, the "speech" , and of course the game itself.

You know the Amiga could just digitize anything, but the package was fitting all together. 

It always sounded like "welcome to battle squadron" to me, even if I'm not a native english speaker.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emkay said:

11,8K filesize ...

Ok but it's rough... I much prefered the hybris one, although I don't know why you insist on having those super loud percussions (I actually added the volume control option in RMT2LZSS so that I could lower it)

3 hours ago, emkay said:

For now (next step) I'll try to get the "Welcome to Battle Squadron" speech simulation. 

Now that I'd like to hear ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Your version sounds pretty cool even though it's nothing like the original... Nobody was ever sure if it was a sample!

https://codetapper.com/amiga/interviews/martin-pedersen/

In the intro it sounds like it's speaking "Welcome to Battle Squadron" - is that actually a (very small?) speech sample or is your brain filling in the speech guessing that's what it's saying?

It is indeed a sample. Ron Klaren must have sampled it... quite brilliant move ;-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rensoup said:

Your version sounds pretty cool even though it's nothing like the original... Nobody was ever sure if it was a sample!

https://codetapper.com/amiga/interviews/martin-pedersen/

Honestly I have no idea, I wasn't even able to tell what the speech was saying.
I just know it used a few channels at once on the Amiga to produce it, so I tried to do something sort of similar :D 
Also thanks! Couldn't be identical but hopefully not too bad :P 

15 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

I'm disappointed, I expected my module would have been used for this version :D

The high pitched sounds in the intro running at 1.79mhz are a little too high pitched to my taste, too :P

The sounds there are 15kHz sounds. 

The 1.79MHz is used for something different ;)

Here the result , if timing is better to handle. 

If someone could stabilize the RMT sound output aswell ?

The LZSS player is really great. While it is a very time consuming task to change some instrument on a single tune and for showing variations, just save multiple rmts with different settings and merge them :) Altirra is playing stable pokey sounds, and the LZSS really plays the correct register settings every VBI. The main voice keeps stable, just by the stable software. Also it doesn't change it's face , if the basses play different notes. The better timing allows more stable fine tuning...

6 minutes ago, zbyti said:

@emkay yes, he is top-notch coder :]

Only, if a PoP game will be finished ;)

What I'm about is that he has some "overview" of what the Atari is capable of, and finds the solution for a dedicated issue. Not expecting irregular stuff. A little over ambicious, he manages a lot of things... :)

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Developer: Hey, look what we have reached. We made Water out of Stones and Garbage. 

Irgendwer: It's crap , because it misses some lemon taste and sparkling

This is what I will now call the "angry squirrel" response to almost every new post in the forum :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2021 at 1:56 PM, emkay said:

The LZSS player is really great. While it is a very time consuming task to change some instrument on a single tune and for showing variations, just save multiple rmts with different settings and merge them :) Altirra is playing stable pokey sounds, and the LZSS really plays the correct register settings every VBI. The main voice keeps stable, just by the stable software. Also it doesn't change it's face , if the basses play different notes. The better timing allows more stable fine tuning...

While that's good news, I still don't see any significant difference between the way LZSS and RMT send the data to Pokey... I added an option to remove the Pokey data simplification but @VinsCool said it wasn't the problem

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

While that's good news, I still don't see any significant difference between the way LZSS and RMT send the data to Pokey... I added an option to remove the Pokey data simplification but @VinsCool said it wasn't the problem

I really don't know how to describe either, honestly...
It just seems like LZSS data fed into the register is a lot more stable and likely to produce predictable results, which is a really good thing, in my opinion! 

• Like 1

In RMT, the emulation is not working as the hardware. 

The software mixing stumbles over the different replay speeds of every channel. 

So a shorter wave on one channel , changes the resulting wave change to the output shorter.

If only long waves were played, the mixing will take longer. 

This is what is solved in Altirra already.

LZSS removes a bug in the RMT player. 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, VinsCool said:

I really don't know how to describe either, honestly...
It just seems like LZSS data fed into the register is a lot more stable and likely to produce predictable results, which is a really good thing, in my opinion! 

But I did some tests and that wasn't conclusive... the thing is I can't even hear the problem, so unless I can get a simple and clear example, it's hard to investigate.

• Like 1