IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

no one can play it on their real Atari as there is no .xex posted.

four likes on AA or elsewhere?

You do realize some people are not on AtariAge everyday so more likes might come.

I also might point out a number of people have mentioned over time ignoring or blocking in other threads... but since those are global functions, they might not see these posts you are referring to.

I can say with certainty that folks who can download it and enjoy it would definitely react with 'likes' 'smiles' and 'gratitude cups' (thank you symbols)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, emkay said:

btw.

I prefer this version...

Thanks for another rendition! I like it. Different again from Vinscool's and my versions. It might motivate me to do another siddump transcription. Any suggestions? No 8 minutes tracks please, but something like this. 60-120 seconds, and then loop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

I'm wondering about the E1M1 tune of Doom. 

Even people from "outside" the Atari world like it. 

It's just that the game is missing where it could be used. ;)

Just listened to it again, and IMHO it could need some improvement. The whole track mumbles along without any groove. It doesn't breathe. It's a metal track, but there's no metal. You need way more staccato instruments if you want to replicate the original "flow", as you call it.

Edited by ivop

21 hours ago, emkay said:

and this "most flawless" tune gets only 4 likes ;)

Most people are not motivated to go to YouTube and like your video I guess. Perhaps if you link instead of embed, you get more likes ;)

Anyway, another example that, contrary to badly converted MOD files, if you have proper transcribed material, you can do a lot with it!

18 minutes ago, ivop said:

Just listened to it again, and IMHO it could need some improvement. The whole track mumbles along without any groove. It doesn't breathe. It's a metal track, but there's no metal. You need way more staccato instruments if you want to replicate the original "flow", as you call it.

People are digging it. So there is something correct that you and I don't see. 

But "mumbling without any groove" is imho a totally wrong observation. In that part everything is great. 

Seems I did soemthing correct , as people claim SID sounding a lot like guitar sound, but it is 100% just SID Synth sound.

Well. Search tunes that were played by POKEY, having more than 30 likes. 

17 minutes ago, ivop said:

Anyway, another example that, contrary to badly converted MOD files, if you have proper transcribed material, you can do a lot with it!

True. 

But that is the crux. People , particular musicians, seem to forget everything, when they do POKEY tunes/music. 

This is the only cause that involves me to do this addition, to make the "tunes" more sounding like music. 

The E1M1 tune is originally stereo and done by PG. But it misses all that has to do with "Music" .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

People are digging it. So there is something correct that you and I don't see. 

But "mumbling without any groove" is imho a totally wrong observation. In that part everything is great. 

Seems I did something correct , as people claim SID sounding a lot like guitar sound, but it is 100% just SID Synth sound.

Sure you did things correct, but it could be improved upon imho. Just play it at 2x VBI to get more percussive instruments for free, and hear what I mean. More metal groove. Now find something in between for 1x VBI, i.e. shorten most volume envelopes.

Well. Search tunes that were played by POKEY, having more than 30 likes. 

Depends on your group of followers. I believe Vinscool sometimes gets that many likes on his video. He has a fanbase, also coming from other platforms he did music for.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ivop said:

Depends on your group of followers. I believe Vinscool sometimes gets that many likes on his video. He has a fanbase, also coming from other platforms.

Exactly. I don't have a "fan base" people react on the tune. And THAT is something to think about .

1 minute ago, ivop said:

Intriguing. What do you think makes your version more "Music"? To me, both are music.

Yeah. You almost got it. 

You guys know things about "correct" chords being played. 

But a row of correct played chords is not usually ending in music. 

Get it or let it. 

6 minutes ago, emkay said:

Yeah. You almost got it. 

You guys know things about "correct" chords being played. 

But a row of correct played chords is not usually ending in music. 

Usually it does. That's what music is about. Chord progressions and melodies.

Please stop putting words between "". There is such a thing as a correct chord. C Major is always C E G. First inversion is E G C, second inversion is G C E. Always. Now which frequency you play for the C, E or G notes is up to you. Here's where scales and temperament/tuning comes into play.

Get it or let it. 

Exactly.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ivop said:

Usually it does. That's what music is about. Chord progressions and melodies.

Please stop putting words between "". There is such a thing as a correct chord. C Major is always C E G. First inversion is E G C, second inversion is G C E. Always. Now which frequency you play for the C, E or G notes is up to you. Here's where scales and temperament/tuning comes into play.

Exactly.

The whole thread is about misinterpretation of music.

For decades people claimed "pokey tunes" to be music, while other people clearly tell about POKEY being out of tune there.

To make it more clear "again" ... I'm an Atari 8 bit fan, but I always recognize the errors in the "music" that can happen. 

I am not able to put things together like a professional musician, but I hear every single mistake. 

My only goal is to make the Atari sounding as good as possible in music. 

You really should keep that in mind. 

8 minutes ago, emkay said:

... "pokey tunes" ...

"again" ...

"music" ...

I really wonder why you always but words between "quotes". Seriously.

8 minutes ago, emkay said:

I am not able to put things together like a professional musician, but I hear every single mistake. 

My only goal is to make the Atari sounding as good as possible in music. 

You really should keep that in mind. 

Sure, so let's answer this question :)

1 hour ago, ivop said:

It might motivate me to do another siddump transcription. Any suggestions? No 8 minutes tracks please, but something like this. 60-120 seconds, and then loop.

Which song? Anybody can chime in. I'll choose the song I like the most myself :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ivop said:

I really wonder why you always but words between "quotes". Seriously.

Sure, so let's answer this question :)

Which song? Anybody can chime in. I'll choose the song I like the most myself :)

The point of "SID tunes" is that  they WERE playing a long time without getting boring or disgusting. 

People mostly did POKEY tunes by ripping just a part of any SID tune for some seconds, while the real thing is about a long played tune. 

So: If it is possible to do "Edge of Disgrace"  at POKEY style , we have reached something. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Thanks for another rendition! I like it. Different again from Vinscool's and my versions. It might motivate me to do another siddump transcription. Any suggestions? No 8 minutes tracks please, but something like this. 60-120 seconds, and then loop.

How 'bout the title theme for Eliminator?

Btw, I did try out Siddump a bit.

With sid2midiw, I can hear the notes of the dump when looking at the midi in OpenMPT, but with siddump, I cannot. In addition, I can't seem to find any option in the command line to select which subsong to dump in siddump. In my eyes, sid2midiw is a bit more intuitive. You might want to try out sid2midiw a bit, but this is all my opinion :P.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, emkay said:

So: If it is possible to do "Edge of Disgrace"  at POKEY style , we have reached something. 

I assume you mean this one?

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/M/Mitch_and_Dane/Dane/Edge_of_Disgrace.sid&subtune=1

That's 16 tunes actually, concatenated to 14:34 minutes. Depends a lot on pure sines, channel one Low Pass Filter, and ringmod for the effects. Stuff we don't really have. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't transcribe one of the subtunes , and make it sound like POKEY instead of SID. The website's emulation sounds a lot cleaner than the original hardware. And it's an 8580 with all the mix waveforms the original SID didn't have.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

How 'bout the title theme for Eliminator?

Very nice tune I did not know :)

Btw, I did try out Siddump a bit.

With sid2midiw, I can hear the notes of the dump when looking at the midi in OpenMPT, but with siddump, I cannot.

Yeah, that's the difference between dumping to MIDI or ASCII ;)

In addition, I can't seem to find any option in the command line to select which subsong to dump in siddump.

Good catch! I never needed it, but it's indeed not there ?

In my eyes, sid2midiw is a bit more intuitive. You might want to try out sid2midiw a bit, but this is all my opinion :P.

I'll look into it. There's also pokey2midi :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ivop said:

I assume you mean this one?

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/M/Mitch_and_Dane/Dane/Edge_of_Disgrace.sid&subtune=1

That's 16 tunes actually, concatenated to 14:34 minutes. Depends a lot on pure sines, channel one Low Pass Filter, and ringmod for the effects. Stuff we don't really have. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't transcribe one of the subtunes , and make it sound like POKEY instead of SID. The website's emulation sounds a lot cleaner than the original hardware. And it's an 8580 with all the mix waveforms the original SID didn't have.

The point is that it IS a complete tune from the start to the end. It never leaves the "main theme" and gets back to the main refrain.

Pretty sure, it's been loaded several time, as the C64 has the 64K limit ;).

That's where special software is needed on the Atari that is doing a digi channel , when Disk IO is happening. 

The challenge then is to have all parts tuned together, keeping the musical  flow on all parts of a demo .

So, to have a tune like this, would really be THE masterpiece of all time on the Atari.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ivop said:

- Edge of Disgrace subtune #?

- Eliminator

Both great SID tunes.

Any more to choose from? :)

Eliminator is almost the same as Freeze (technically and in musical style).

Should be possible ;)

Currently I have no idea , which tune to use. 

• Like 2