IGNORED

iMac G3 Question

Apologies for posting this in the Apple II forum but I figure there are lots of knowledgeable folks here familiar with all things Apple Macintosh.

I picked up an iMac slot loading 500 mhz at a yard sale over the weekend. Works great and I think it has about 390 megs of ram. It's running 9.2.2 and I was wondering if upgrading to 10.4 would be worthwhile? Mostly I'll probably use it to play old games, but it would be nice if surfing the web could be a secondary use. It can technically get on the internet now, but there apparently aren't any modern browsers that will run on 9.2.2. Would 10.4 make classic OS games incompatible or make my IMac too frustratingly slow? Thanks much.

It's been a couple years since I used Classilla (http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/) on OS 9, but I liked it. It did everything I needed OS 9 Internet to do, which was download games from the Macintosh Garden.

Personally, I'd stick with OS 9, mostly for the nostalgia thing, but OS 10.4 should work okay. You can also create a dual-boot system with both, if you have the hard drive space.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always set it up as a dual-booting system, if you'd like to. OS X is more useful for web stuff, but OS 9.xx is better for running older software.

If you did the OS X thing, you might have to do a firmware update (no big deal).

Either way, that's a fun machine! ;-)