IGNORED

Why does the Speech Synthesizer have to be first?

OLD CS1

The Speech Synthesizer is at least a couple of points of consternation with regard to peripherals on the side of the 99/4: does not pass power, does not pass the audio input line, and I am sure there is something else. The Rave99 shows us it does not necessarily have to be at the front of the chain.

But why does it have to be there and not after, say, something like Matt's 32k?

• Like 1

One reason - the further the speech synth is from the side of the console, the more interference you'll get on the audio. Just putting it on one of Ksarul's side port splitters and there is a noticeable buzz on the audio.

(Do the side port devices like the TI 32K memory and disk controller pass through the audio input line?)

I'd have to check the schematics, but I would suspect that they do, if for no other reason than they probably needed it for the Video Controller sidecar too. One of these days, I really have to take a picture of one of my 99/4s with all five of the sidecars, a Thermal Printer, and some disk drives attached.

I'd have to check the schematics, but I would suspect that they do, if for no other reason than they probably needed it for the Video Controller sidecar too. One of these days, I really have to take a picture of one of my 99/4s with all five of the sidecars, a Thermal Printer, and some disk drives attached.

And the desk extensions to accommodate. You know, I remember I had to build an extension on my computer desk to hold the GVP A530 Turbo sidecar CPU/SCSI expansion for my Amiga 500. It was on the left rather than the right, but still felt kind-of familiar :)