IGNORED

Word Search Contest

Pitfall Harry

Never one to stop beating a dead horse, I have modified Atari Troll's word search puzzle yet again. Only this time I've added more Atari 2600 related terms into the puzzle, dropped one or two, repositioned a couple AND I've turned it into a contest!

The attached word search puzzle is now loaded with AT LEAST 150 Atari 2600 terms. By "term" I mean a game title, game company, well-known acronym or programmer associated with the Atari 2600.

Each term has a minumum of 3 letters. You may find E.T. in the puzzle, but it does not meet the minimum letter requirement and therefore does not count.

I'm not saying exactly how many terms you will find in this puzzle, but you will know when you are done with your searching because the unused letters of the puzzle (letters through which no Atari 2600 terms pass) will spell out a secret, hidden message. Well, not exactly. You will have to do something tricky with those letters first. But when you figure out what to do, the unused letters will tell you exactly what you have won, should you be the first to crack the code.

Contest Rules:

Be the first to post back to this thread the decoded secret hidden message. The message tells you what your prize is. All you have to do is be the first one to tell me what the message says, and I'll mail your prize off to you right away. Good luck!

Hint: It's a really good prize.

Ben

post-5-1052118200_thumb.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH! :x

:wink:

I was so close, I just couldn't figure out the anagram.

It probably didn't help that I had these extra letters: T C E O L

and was missing U and S.

Congrats Thomas. That's quite a prize!

And once again, Thomas and that big ol' brain of his crushes the competition. Unless you're using some kind of base-13 logarithm, you're not gonna stump this guy. Thomas, you never cease to amaze me with your code-busting skills. Way to go! :D

This time I had an advantage because I could start with the puzzle while most members where still sleeping. :)

The first thing was subtracting the old picture from Ben's new one. That helped identifying the changed letter. First I had hoped I could solve the riddle that way alone, but that didn't work.

So I started with the word list from the other thread and found most of them plus those addtional words:

Activision

Amiga

Asterix

Boing

Bomb

Bridge

Card/Pirat

Commando

Dot

Edtris

Enduro

Epyx/Xype

Glib

Gorf

HeMan

Hero

Imagic

Konami

Mangia

Math

Mattel

Obelix

Panda

Polo

Race

RamIt

ROM

Sega

Slots

TacScan

Tapper

Taz

Ufo

Congratulations Thomas!

You've solved the puzzle, even without finding (or at least listing) any of these:

CCE

Guardian

Ice Hockey

INTV

KLAX

Oink

Quelle

Salu

Sub Scan

Please email me with your address and I'll send you your prize.

To help you find the entries you missed, here's a handy little chart.

Ben

post-5-1052171988_thumb.png

Congratulations Thomas!

Thanks! :love:

You've solved the puzzle, even without finding (or at least listing) any of these:

Actually I only missed CGE, INTV and OINK and forgot to listen the other ones. :)

But I found ROM which obviously wasn't meant to be there: :P

And then I had recognized PIRAT (which was meant to be IRATA), CARD and (not listened) somebody called CARL. ;)

Yes, there is a spelling error in Sneak 'N Pea. I pointed out this spelling error when I first discovered it, when I was solving Atari Troll's original Word Search, the word search puzzle on which this contest puzzle is based.

I have since learned Atari Troll's original puzzle comes from another website, so let me give credit where credit is due.

Getting back to my contest puzzle... I decided to keep the misspelling I inherited from the original puzzle. I figured that A) Puzzle solvers would realize that SNEAKNPEAK is close enough to an actual Atari game title to warrant considering it as a legitimate word, or B) SNEAKNPEAK would not be considered a legitimate word, but not recognizing it as such does not make the puzzle appreciably more difficult to solve.

When I posted the rules to this contest puzzle, I deliberately stated "I'm not saying exactly how many terms you will find in this puzzle..." The statement was an acknowledgement on my part that some may consider SNEAKNPEAK as a legitimate entry and some may not.

For those who did not consider SNEAKNPEAK a legitimate entry, the unused letters of the puzzle would have spelled out the following:

CONGRATULATIONSYOUHAVEJUSTWSONABOXEDCOEPYOFCOMMAAVIDROOKMONFEPDOOM

I thought it close enough to

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE JUST WON A BOXED COPY OF COMMAVID ROOM OF DOOM

that the misspelling of SNEAKNPEEK presented no consequential disadvantage to those who opted not to consider it.

As a final note, the contest winner, Thomas Jensch, has graciously declined his prize winnings so that it may be rolled over into my next contest, which will be coming soon. Since I will be creating the next one from the ground up, rest assured there will be NO SPELLING ERRORS!

And I'll be sure to better advertise it, so more people get a chance to work on it before Thomas wins again. ;)

Ben

Oh, I don't mean the apostrophe. I meant the spelling of Peek.

Your are right, it's spelled wrong. Fortunately I didn't notice. :)

But I guess the puzzle was still solvable then.

And just in case anybody didn't found out already:

:idea: For getting the hidden message you have to read the unused letters in a clockwise spiral (starting at top left).

BTW: Here is the picture I got after subtracting the old bitmap from the new one.

post-45-1052316405_thumb.png

Archived