IGNORED

Your favorite memories of 2600 games

ElectricTroy

Because the graphics were so primitive, I had to use a LOT of imagination:

STAR RAIDERS: I pretended I was Buck Rogers with Hawk as my copilot. ;-) Other times I would choose the hardest level/shields off and see how long I could last without getting hit.

BERZERK: I imagined that firing my gun at walls made them magnetic and pulled robots into the wall! I always thought it was funny how the robots foot "twitched" from time to time. It was as though the robot couldn't decide if it wanted to stand still or walk.

MISSILE COMMAND: The Russkies were attacking!

INDY 500: I played it while watching the race, and pretended I was a real driver! (heh heh) I did the same thing with my Tyco Racing Track.

Because the graphics were so primitive, I had to use a LOT of imagination:

BERZERK: I imagined that firing my gun at walls made them magnetic and pulled robots into the wall!  I always thought it was funny how the robots foot "twitched" from time to time.  It was as though the robot couldn't decide if it wanted to stand still or walk.

Ha ha...that's good...and FITTING...since they're so stupid :D

my fav. memory of atari 2600 was when everyone on my block was playing mario bros. on the nes. and talking about in school i'd try and start up a conversation about asteriods and get laughed at until i got pissed and would punch a kid then get sent to the office or even home some times and this was when i was only in grade one

Its funny you mention the imagination thing. I remembered, while playing Berzerk last week, that I used to make up all sorts of crazy stories behind the 'characters' in atari games when I played them as a kid. The stories changed from day to day, and varied quite a bit. I imagine its something you can't do as easily with contemporary games.

As a kid I had no problem imagining the on screen graphics were the same as the box art. Especially Marauder. The onscreen blob that represents the player was, in my head, that kick ass box art guy with the helmet. I can't do that as anymore as an adult but I have fond memories of that back then.

Archived