IGNORED

Next Steps with UDS-10 and PEB

NickH93

As some of you may know, I scored a PEB recently and have been dying to put it to use. At the recommendation of some other posts, I bought a lantronix UDS-10 in the hopes of maybe connecting to a BBS.

At any rate, I have it all configured ready to go, made a cable to use it...but now what?

I have a terminal emulator II cart but from what I can tell you need an acoustic modem for this and so I cant issue the UDS any commands. Are there other options for terminal programs? Am I doing something wrong with TEII?

Thanks!

As some of you may know, I scored a PEB recently and have been dying to put it to use. At the recommendation of some other posts, I bought a lantronix UDS-10 in the hopes of maybe connecting to a BBS.

At any rate, I have it all configured ready to go, made a cable to use it...but now what?

I have a terminal emulator II cart but from what I can tell you need an acoustic modem for this and so I cant issue the UDS any commands. Are there other options for terminal programs? Am I doing something wrong with TEII?

T

this may be of some help

HERE

the UDS will need to be configured if using the TEII cartridge to the correct settings. TE2 allows a maximum of 300 baud.

you usually can configure the UDS device by connecting to it's assigned IP ADDRESS on port 9999 via a telnet connection from another PC. That's the easiest way.

You do not need a coupler modem. the UDS replaces the modem.

Once in the UDS and if it's configured correctly you should be able to issue the 'AT' command and press enter and see the repsone of 'OK' if it's set to full verbose mode.

Also the cable to connect the TI to the UDS is a bit different as TI when they designed their RS232 interface the Send and Receive signals are reversed and will usually require the swap of pins 2 and 3 on one end of the cable.

also if it was a used UDS it may have some old configuration that needs to be changed and that will have to be done via the GUI via the PC 'Device Installer' program. I think that's what it is called.

Once you are up and running then you can obtain higher terminal programs that will support higher baudrates. If you happen to have a F18A video upgrade for the TI then you can use the latest TIMXT and achieve up to 38400 bps with 80 column and ANSI support.

There are still a few of BBS that are running that support the TI and Myarc Geneve computers.

Thanks!

a serial device is a serial device, the uds is the same as a modem to the TI

once you get the uds talking try telnetting to thekeep.net

Greg

My apologies everyone, I was in a hurry writing that post. I should clarify some things:

It was a used UDS-10, but I have cleared the old configuration and got it working on my home network. The problem was that TEII was not really interacting with this unit.

As Shift pointed out, the TEII only has a maximum of 300 baud and there is probably my issue. I configured the UDS-10 to operate much higher than that, which would explain why I'm not getting any echo even in full verbose. I will try and reconfigure the UDS to run at 300 baud and go from there.

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry for not being clear enough. I will update with results.

• Like 1

once you have it configured correctly it should all work. Pay close attention to the Databits and Parity. If I recall correctly TE2 was 7 and Even and the standard on the UDS is 8 and None.

Make sure your cable is wired with the below pins.

TI UDS-10
2 3
3 2
5 4
7 7
20 5

once you have it configured correctly it should all work. Pay close attention to the Databits and Parity. If I recall correctly TE2 was 7 and Even and the standard on the UDS is 8 and None.

Make sure your cable is wired with the below pins.

TI UDS-10
2 3
3 2
5 4
7 7
20 5

So I made one of these cables with two cable ends and wires and soldered it.

Anyway, setting the baud to 300 got it to echo back at me but it would not answer with "OK" when I issued the AT command.

Sure enough though, I set the I/F mode of the UDS-10 to 78, which is even parity, rs-232, 7 databits, 1 stop bit.

Sure enough that got it responding to my commands in TEII. Thanks so much for the help!!

• Like 2

You can also run Stuart's Internet Browser with the UDS-10 http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

There are a couple of games you can play at myti99.com and I'm working on some more.

yes but.. isn't the config for the browser mutually exclusive of using it for telnet?

Greg

We worked out some settings for the UDS that would allow both the browser and TIMXT to run at 38,400 without a configuration change. So if you go that route, no UDS reconfiguration is needed for those who like to use both programs.

So the current UDS-10 settings that work for the web browser should also work unchanged for TIMXT?

Can I issue a telnet command straight from TIMXT?

So the current UDS-10 settings that work for the web browser should also work unchanged for TIMXT?

Can I issue a telnet command straight from TIMXT?

The UDS has two connection modes.

The modem emulation mode uses a subset of the Hayes command set. For example, ATDT192.168.1.1 would tell the UDS to open a telnet connection to IP address 192.168.1.1 port 23. To specify the port, you would use a comma or slash in most cases. ATDT192.168.1.1,9640 would open a telnet connection to the same IP address, this time with port 9640.

The direct connection mode is quite rudimentary by comparison. If your UDS is configured to work with the TI browser, you will be flying "blind" so to speak. There will be no echoing of the commands, and you can no longer use the Hayes command set. Instead, you must use the letter "C" to initiate a connection. Example: C192.168.1.1,9640.

TIMXT has a partially complete macro routine to help with this. Unfortunately, until I finalize the next update, the only way to change the macro string is by sector editing TIMXT. A exclamation point signifies a Carriage Return and ends the macro, and each entry is approximately 30 characters. So if you wanted to add Fusion, Heatwave, and TheKEEP to your macros, you could edit the strings accordingly.

I suspect a general write-up is probably needed to more completely explain the modes and their uses.