IGNORED

ColecoVision Color Problem

Hannacek

I am having some color problems with my ColecoVision. It used to work great, but now when I turn it on the colors are messed up, and sometimes the text is messed up. But the problem goes away after a minute or so, or if I turn it on and off. I have some pictures of it loading the Atari MAX SD cart, and then Mario Bros. The Atari MAX menu is messed up, and so is the Mario Bros screen. But when the actual game starts the colors go back to normal. It was also normal when I played the next game. It seems like the first few times I turn it on its messed up for a little bit, but then goes back to normal.

I was having much worse problems about a year ago, so I took apart the power switch and cleaned it and greased it according to the tutorial I found. After that It worked great until recently. I don't want to desolder the switch and clean it again unless absolutely necessary, because I don't want to risk lifting traces on the board.

post-39583-0-85019200-1479670350_thumb.jpg

post-39583-0-37537900-1479670371_thumb.jpg

post-39583-0-76979700-1479670389_thumb.jpg

You mentioned you took the switch apart and cleaned it already, but just in case you go to do it again, I may be able to save you some hassle. In my experience, completely desoldering the switch from the PCB isn't necessary. I was able to take the switch apart, clean it and reassemble everything without desoldering. However, it might not hurt to scrape off any visible oxidation on the leads, as well as touching up the those solder joints if anything looks questionable.

Anybody who's done this before knows that the switch pretty much comes apart into 2 main pieces. I simply leave the base on and clean the bottom contacts just like normal. What I concentrate on is the 2 contacts (clips/spring looking things), trying to retention those by gently bending them back a little bit. My goal is to provide a little more surface area for the contact points and restore some "springiness", making it feel like a new switch once reassembled. You'll hear an audible 'snap' also, but less so if a lot of dielectric grease is used. I've tried it with and without grease altogether and haven't had much trouble either way.. Mine have been working fine for about 2 years now since I did it last, other than a couple hiccups once in the while. I usually power cycle the switch out of habit anyways and that always clears up graphical glitches for me, just as long as the RAM chips (if still used) and power supply are up to par.

Besides the switch, make sure your power supply is up to spec..if it's weak, it will cause graphic issues and other undesired effects, especially with certain homebrews. If the original RAM chips are there, I'd upgrade to the +5 volt chips or even better, just install an F18a, which doesn't need them at all. Then you can just use a readily available, cheap 5v wall wort PS like others have mentioned.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

Cleaned stock switches are not always enough. You have to lube them up. All the dirt inside the CV that came unraveled when you banged it around while taking it apart(and then reassembling). It all got sucked back into that damn switch like a vacuum. Sometimes it's enough dirt to interfere, sometimes you wont notice it again for years.