IGNORED

4A/DOS usefulness and documentation

gfreige

Hi:

I'm trying to do something with 4A/DOS. I'm able to boot it using the ROM image from FLASROM99, and the 4A-DOS.dsk converted to hfe in the Lotharek.

I was unable to load DOS directly from disk using E/A, as it never show in the menu after loading it and soft reset. Something to do with loading E/A from FlashRom99?

I don't know. Also I don't know what the different DOS/xx files do, except I can use DOS/O with the F18A.

Anyway, using the ROM image and getting chara1 from disk works, but after that I don't know how to use the thing

The PDF made by Omega is too succinct to my taste :) There is a more complete documentation somewhere??

For example I have no idea what to do inside the editor.

Also when I tried to run something from disk with LOAD FIX80 or X I don't know what to do

X CHKDSK loads and then nothing. I need to use some extra parameters?

I can use it to load E/A option 5 files? Basic programs? No idea.

All I can do is changing drives with vol and listing them with dir.

That´s it? I hope not.

It`s possible to use MDOS instead?

HELP :)

Regards

Guillermo

The E/A loadable 4ADOS expect to be used with a supercart, with writable RAM. The flashrom99 doesn't allow the TI to write to that ram. Letting the flashrom load the cart image directly as a bin file does the trick, as you've seen.

It can load ea5, with restrictions, but not basic or xb.

X chkdsk is a bit opaque. Chkdsk is a different program with its own documentation somewhere. 4ados was extensible in this regard. You can also extend it with assembly routines, but I think that might need the original docs.

You might search things like micropendium magazines for a review. Might have more details.

-M@

When loading an E/A3 file via the FIX80 command -- If you do not know the start name, type REF and it will give you a list of names in the current table. After you get the name, type LINK and the name listed in the table and the program will start.

If it's a program you plan to run often, make a BATCH file stacking the necessary commands.

I'd forget about the extended programs executable with the X command. For the most part they are obsolete, you would be better off using a program like DM2K. Also, if you plan on using or editing the AUTO-BAT file, I'd suggest using a program like EAIIEDIT-8.BIN which also resides in the FR99.

Yes, MATT is 100% correct, no BASIC programs. This was originally a Super Cart program, which as you know is just a modified Editor/Assembler module with 8K of battery backed memory.

Thanks for the answers.

Another question: E/A functionality really works in 4A/DOS running from flashrom99?. As I see, the supercart with 8K RAM also have a E/A GROM. That GROM isn't present in FR99. That can be the reason I'm unable to load anything that works?

Also, can a MiniMemory module be used instead of the supercart?

Mini memory is too small or incompatible with DOS binaries. Didn´t work

I had success loading E/A 5 (with LOAD) and E/A 3 (with FIX80) in most cases but not always. So the 4ADOS present in FR99 definitely can load E/A programs.

Actually I'm using DSK1 for chara1 and DSK3 for E/A programs. Less disk swapping :)

X commands are a lost cause :)

Guillermo

• Like 1