IGNORED

New7800HSC-Season 1 Game 5: Scramble

Mister-VCS

Guys - one thing to note... The bottom half of your ship does not check for collisions with the terrain (I actually had to purposely implement this, after finding out that the arcade version is like that).

This may help in certain areas, especially the maze at the end ;)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

Scramble (Atari 7800): 94,530

WJXq3HI.jpg

Taking the lead! I'm still struggling with randomly losing all my lives on Stage 3 every round, but Bob's tip definitely helped a lot with meteor avoidance. I seriously need to save up and buy a real cartridge of this game at some point soon, since it's quickly becoming one of my favorite games on the system. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Scramble (Atari 7800): 94,530WJXq3HI.jpg

Taking the lead! I'm still struggling with randomly losing all my lives on Stage 3 every round, but Bob's tip definitely helped a lot with meteor avoidance. I seriously need to save up and buy a real cartridge of this game at some point soon, since it's quickly becoming one of my favorite games on the system. :)

Nice score, JIN. I'm already done with my 90,000-point score and waiting for the next round.

• Like 1

Nice score, JIN. I'm already done with my 90,000-point score and waiting for the next round.

Thank you Oyamafamily! I think I'm done for this round too. As much as I love playing Scramble it is really mentally exhausting trying to get through four waves in a row to get a high score. I'm happy with my score, but a little burnt out for now. I'll be looking forward to seeing what game we get to play next on Wednesday. :)

• Like 1

Beautiful game Bob.

Nice that Jin decided not to really embarrass me there. :)

I don't think I could have embarrassed you if I wanted to. It took me 8 hours of intense practice, to the point that I actually started hallucinating weird motion aftereffects when I looked away from the screen (more info on that here), to get that score. So I don't think I'll be trying for a 100k+ score in Scramble again anytime soon. It really Scrambled my brain! :lol:

• Like 2

This round is open until December 21th 2016 !

Awesome, I almost missed this one. Can I use the older PMP 8-in-1 cart on my 7800? My Concerto has a bad habit of corrupting any 7800 ROMs I try to load on it.

P.S. That's one heluvan impressive score Jin. Did you use that new 7800 Eladdin controller you mentioned picking up? :grin:

P.S. That's one heluvan impressive score Jin. Did you use that new 7800 Eladdin controller you mentioned picking up? :grin:

Thanks buddy! Sadly I don't own a physical copy of Scramble yet, but it's definitely at the top of my gaming wish list. For this round of the HSC I played it via emulation on the Wii using a Wii Classic Controller. As far as the controller from Edladdin goes, it was actually just finished being built today and will be shipping out later this week, so I should get it in the mail sometime next week. :)

Thanks buddy! Sadly I don't own a physical copy of Scramble yet, but it's definitely at the top of my gaming wish list. For this round of the HSC I played it via emulation on the Wii using a Wii Classic Controller. As far as the controller from Edladdin goes, it was actually just finished being built today and will be shipping out later this week, so I should get it in the mail sometime next week. :)

That's slick! I thought you were using the original system because it was on a CRT. I wondered how you got the output so crisp. Even my AV modded 7800 has the slightest amount of bleed to it, but gorgeous picture nonetheless.

I really need to fire up the Scramble on my PMP multicart and see how it compares to the 2600 homebrew, which I've gotten addicted to as of late. If it's anything like the 2600 version, I'll probably make it to near the end only to crash in a certain little room in the Base stage.

• Like 1

That's slick! I thought you were using the original system because it was on a CRT. I wondered how you got the output so crisp. Even my AV modded 7800 has the slightest amount of bleed to it, but gorgeous picture nonetheless.

I really need to fire up the Scramble on my PMP multicart and see how it compares to the 2600 homebrew, which I've gotten addicted to as of late. If it's anything like the 2600 version, I'll probably make it to near the end only to crash in a certain little room in the Base stage.

Emulation on the Wii does make the graphics in Atari 7800 games look really bright and crisp, with very clean well defined pixels on a CRT TV. I think it looks a lot more natural than the pure digital look of emulation on a modern LCD/LED monitor, but it is different enough in appearance that it was a bit startling when I got my first real Atari 7800 system in the mail this week and tried it out. I got a composite modded 7800 from Video61, and while the picture does look great the colors are still a bit more dull and drab than what you see when playing the games via emulation and the pixels aren't quite as clean around the edges. I'm still thrilled to have it though, and really looking forward to being able to compete in future HSC weeks using real original hardware. And yes, I did get a Pro-Line controller with it just so I could experience what most Atari 7800 owners in the US were stuck with using back in the day. It is pretty rough on the hand muscles but not quite as bad as I was expecting, at least not for Ms. Pac-Man and other games that don't use the buttons much.

Anyway, getting back on topic, good luck with Scramble for the 7800! I think you'll find the scrolling to be a fair bit smoother and flight controls more precise than in the Atari 2600 version. It's a great game! :)

• Like 2

I like the old hardware myself but my wife got me a Raspberry Pi 3 as an early xmas gift. I tried some 7800 games with Lakka. At first I was not thrilled until I got into the video options and turned on HW Bilinear filtering for a smoother image. Now I can tolerate it.

Still prefer the original hardware though for controller options.

Here's my late submission. 023520 high score. I finally beat the dreaded meteor stage and made it to the Base before my ship got destroyed. Same exact room that always kicks my ass on the 2600 version.

PMP 8-in-1 Multicart. Difficulty: Normal.

post-33189-0-85985100-1482362260_thumb.jpg

post-33189-0-41133600-1482362281_thumb.jpg

PS - Sun just set at 5:15pm local time on the shortest day of the year. Winter has officially arrived. :cool:

• Like 1