IGNORED

Competition Pro 5200

MegaManFan

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now +this+ is what an Atari 5200 joystick should have been!

What I really get a kick out of is you can even hear a tiny discernible "click click" as the switches catch on any of the 8 directions. Playing Pac-Man with this thing is not only butter smooth, but feels incredibly like the true arcade experience. I also tried it with Megamania and Combat II Advanced, and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Only on Star Wars: TAG did I find the self centering to be somewhat detrimental - it can cause you to miss tie fighters and incoming shots. I had to quit to get back to work, but I can't wait to dig out the rest of my games and the multi-cart to put a whole new world of hurtin' on my 5200 games. :D

Hopefully I'll get a Wico pad AND controller, someday. :)

Once you get a WICO, you'll never see Pitfall II the same way again. As for the WICO keypads, they're not a necessity unless you're trying to score everything made for the 5200. The stock controller's keypad used with the y cable serve the same purpose.

On a side note, it was smart of the makers of the competition pro to build the y adapter into the joystick.

I agree, that in conjunction with the Wico keypad is the best.  :D

Hopefully I'll get a Wico pad AND controller, someday. :)

I just scored a Wico and keypad last weekend at a flea. Total price? $4 :D

But I would like to still get a Comp Pro for the 5200, I have one for the 2600 and it's my favorite for the right type of game.

Where can you get one of these competiton pros? Only on eBay?

As for the 5200 controller being just fine for keypad use with a Wico, let me say - it's not! I've got a Wico and a Best rebuilt 5200 controller. While my start-pause-reset buttons work fine, the # and * buttons - basically the entire numeric keypad - don't work well at all.

The * and # keys are the most concern, since you need them to select levels and difficulty on some games. I can usually get them to work, but it takes really pushing them or pushing them at a certain angle to get a response.

I'm afraid to open it up to try and clean it for fear I won't be able to get it back together.

What really bums me is I think I once passed over a Wico complete with its keypad back in the days I didn't have a 5200 and wasn't interested in 5200 items. I doubt I even knew then what it was, but I know now I saw it. :(

The * and # keys are the most concern, since you need them to select levels and difficulty on some games. I can usually get them to work, but it takes really pushing them or pushing them at a certain angle to get a response.  

I'm afraid to open it up to try and clean it for fear I won't be able to get it back together.

What really bums me is I think I once passed over a Wico complete with its keypad back in the days I didn't have a 5200 and wasn't interested in 5200 items. I doubt I even knew then what it was, but I know now I saw it. :(

The stock controllers aren't hard to take apart and put back together. I'm technically impaired and was able to do it.

I got two non-working joysticks along with my 5200. I opened 'em thinking I might as well try to see if I could do anything to fix 'em.

Not only couldn't I fix 'em, I think I made 'em worse, and I could barely get them back together.

Nah, the fear of making it worse will stop me from even considering opening it up.

I have a pair of comp pros and a wico and I like the wico better overall. The comp pros just don't feel as comfortable to me.

Brian R. said:

Where can you get one of these competiton pros? Only on eBay?

I found my comp pros at a small thrift shop down in little washington. They were buried in a pile of power supplies and are the only gaming stuff I've seen in several visits to that place.

I got my wico stick at the eastland flea market in north versailles. (bothering to point these places out since you list Pittsburgh as your home.)

If you keep an eye out, you'll eventually run across these in the wild just like anything else. :)

Archived