IGNORED

A Small Victory

Scooterb23

If anyone knows my struggles with the 5200, this may come as a shock. I fixed one of my systems. I decided that my 2-porter was the easiest to work with...I plugged it in to see what I was getting...nothing but a black screen.

So I opened up my system, and didn't see anything wrong. Of course, I know less than nothing about the innards of a video game system.

So I yanked out the RF cable, and replaced it with one I knew worked (my all-purpose one I hook everything up with.

First time I turned on the system, nothing.

Then I remembered to flip the switch on my switchbox.

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 5200 turned on, with a crytally-clear picture!!! Woo-hoo!!

So, then I go and plug in my Wico controller I bought at Cinciclassic 2001 but have never been able to use...I hook up one of my 5200 sticks to the other part of the Y-adapter, and hit start to play a rousing game of Vanguard. Nothing. I change 5200 controllers...again nothing.

Crap.

So now I have a working 5200, a working WICO controller (I know it works because I bought it right out of the guys system...) and no way to start the games.

I've already tried cleaning the things...any other ideas?? Or does anyone have a cheap alternative to using a 5200 controller as a keypad???

Thanks.

With a working 5200 and a working Wico, I'd say you're over the biggest hurdle. Getting at least a working 5200 controller so you can start the games should not be too hard.

But it makes you wish the 5200 games could be started just by pushing the fire button, doesn't it? I remember when this feature first showed up in 2600 games - it was sweet, no more having to get up and hit the reset button.

@Sku - I've tried that...remember the part about me knowing nothing about the innards of a video game system. Double that for the controllers...I'm going to have a go at them tonight, and see if I can get them put back together correctly this time, but I've not been successful as of yet :(

@ Mr. Retro - PM sent :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it took me 10 days, but I tried cleaning out my controllers...and I got one of them sorta working. Enough to hit the start button at least, so I finally had a chance to play a 5200 game!! Hooray!!!!

@ Mr. Retro...I'll probably be in the market for one of your kits eventually, money is very tight right now (and the next few months aren't looking very happy on that front). But as soon as I come out on the other side, I'll probably be in the market for one of those kits. So sorry (for now) but thanks so much for the offer.

First impression...even with my Wico controller in locked mode, I find control too floaty for my tastes. I can barely control Pac-Man...Vanguard worked pretty well, but I found my ship going off in an odd direction one too many times...

Looks good, love RealSports Baseball...have to give it another go next weekend.

I'm still looking for a better replacement controller (I kind of need one with tighter respone) but for now, I'm just happy to have a solution that kinda sorta works :D

First impression...even with my Wico controller in locked mode, I find control too floaty for my tastes.  I can barely control Pac-Man...Vanguard worked pretty well, but I found my ship going off in an odd direction one too many times...

For games like Pac-Man, keep a lookout for the Competition Pro Joystick. It's a self-centering joystick that looks like an arcade controller. Control is tight with them. The only problem with it is that it tends to be a littel stiff making extended gameplay uncomfortable.

Archived